Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

how did you decide on your career?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #121
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
I'm a pharmacy technician now. It's just not what I want to do for a "career"
how'd you like it? my moms gonna try to get a job as a pharmacy tech when we move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
Just saw a piece on the news last night that was interesting. Financial analysts compared the , "get a job and work" to "go to college" folks, and on average, if you go to college you make more, but after factoring the cost of college, the "get a job" crowd ends up capable of saving more money at retirement age than the college crowd.

Many of the wealthiest people chose not to go to college and from my experience, I am far better off in my chosen career than ALL of my college classmates.

One thing to consider also, government jobs come with a pension. Even if you go to college and get a great job, the day you retire that job in most cases will never provide you another penny, while a career with a pension keeps on giving.

I think if you are lost in where you want your life to take you, military is by far a better choice than college. You get paid with full benefits, travel and are exposed to things you never would be otherwise. College is just a money sponge now a days and indeed, so 1980's. If you need college for a career you have already decided on, that is one thing but to go to college just to go to college, very poor financial choice.
at first (and still) i wanted to just get a job and apprentice under someone, but it sounds like i'll be going for a associates degree in marine mechanics, then after that getting a bachelors degree in fish and wildlife.

good luck patrick
Old 03-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #122
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
I learned how to weld in high school, and became very good, very quickly. Tinkered around with the college seen for a few months, but dropped out. Here I am now, welding stainless steel in a climate controlled facility, having fun and making more $ than most of the kids I graduated high school with that also graduated from college. I work for a great company, that takes pretty good care of it's employees
Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #123
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Had enough of the 9a-6p and went for it . 6 years strong now . Slight growth every year .
Old 03-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #124
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
EMS kinda swallowed me up.

I wanted to be a firefighter, went to the fire academy, then went to EMT school (you have to be an EMT in FL to be a FF).

Then I went to paramedic school so it would be easier to get a job as a Firefighter. I got hired at a private EMS company in orlando (Rural Metro) hated the private EMS scene...worked there for almost a year.

Now I work for my hometown County EMS agency. Its County, not private, So the benefits are great, I have state retirement, vested after 8 years, full retirement at 30 years, and I cant complain about the pay. We have nice trucks, nice equipment, everyone cares about their job.

I love being a Paramedic. Every day I have the chance to positively affect someones life in one way or another, plus I work with great people and have loads of fun. I work 12 hours, 2 days on 2 days off, and every other Fri/sat/sun off. And no single day is the same...never a dull day.

I actually look forward to the next day I work.

My only complaint with EMS is that its hard on your body, and your mind. Very easy to kill your back.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #125
BioWheelin is on a distinguished road

BioWheelin's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, I'm still not entirely sure how I ended up where I did. Went from college to an internship, then lab work, Americorps, and wound up in bio consulting. 4 years later I'm still doing that and trying to expand a bit.

The only issue there is that to expand I need experience, permits, and certifications. To get a permit for ONE species you have to spend 25 hours with an already permitted bio observing it in the wild. Of course, it varies from species to species, but the more you have the more in-demand you become.

Next on my list is certified arborist, that could bump my pay by a couple thousand a year (negotiations willing).

At any rate, it's an interesting field and I certainly am not going brain dead behind a cashier register like I did way back in high school... ugh, never going retail again.

It's interesting seeing what everyone does here in the TW. I have yet to see one of my own profession in here though... they have to be around. WHERE ARE YOU, WE ALL HAVE TACO'S?!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #126
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Following the old saying"If you find a job doing something you enjoy, youll never work a day in your life"

So mechanic it is..er atleast will be in a couple months. Ive always modded all my vehicles and have always been into high performance cars.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #127
Peanut Butter and Jaaaaaaaammmmmmm!!
t.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry Officer
Name: Ted
t.hornstra's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to make a difference, plain and simple.

I grew up with a lot of opportunities. I traveled the world and lived overseas as a kid. My dad's job moved us to japan. (civilian job, not military) I had a lot of chances to truly see the world and what makes the United States such a great place to live.

I joined the military during college to get myself a step ahead of my peers. While others drank during the week, before tests, and got easy schedules to sleep in, I was both in the National Guard and the ROTC department at my school. I got first hand experience being enlisted in the guard before making it to E5 and I just recently graduated college and commissioned as a 2LT into the CA National Guard. I am an 11A, Infantry Platoon Leader. Using my Criminal Justice Degree, I hope to join law enforcement after serving sometime, working full-time for the National Guard.

I'm currently a GBR, Gold Bar Recruiter for the CA Guard, working with HS and College students to encourage and educate students on the opportunities the CA Guard offers as an officer. I have already looked into graduate school, and will be pursuing a masters, paid for by the Army. I get to live in the same house, close to family and friends, all while receiving active duty pay. I leave for Ft. Benning, GA in March for more training, Infantry Basic Officer Leadership Course, Ranger School, and Pathfinder School. I am already Airborne qualified and have orders to Air Assault in the works.

The biggest thing I can say, with any job really, is network yourself and get yourself options. I love my career choice with the CA Guard and Law Enforcement. If one gets slow and not appealing, I can focus on the other for a bit.

Plus, we get to do some gnarly shit in the Infantry.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #128
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.hornstra View Post
I wanted to make a difference, plain and simple.

I grew up with a lot of opportunities. I traveled the world and lived overseas as a kid. My dad's job moved us to japan. (civilian job, not military) I had a lot of chances to truly see the world and what makes the United States such a great place to live.

I joined the military during college to get myself a step ahead of my peers. While others drank during the week, before tests, and got easy schedules to sleep in, I was both in the National Guard and the ROTC department at my school. I got first hand experience being enlisted in the guard before making it to E5 and I just recently graduated college and commissioned as a 2LT into the CA National Guard. I am an 11A, Infantry Platoon Leader. Using my Criminal Justice Degree, I hope to join law enforcement after serving sometime, working full-time for the National Guard.

I'm currently a GBR, Gold Bar Recruiter for the CA Guard, working with HS and College students to encourage and educate students on the opportunities the CA Guard offers as an officer. I have already looked into graduate school, and will be pursing a masters, paid for by the Army. I get to live in the same house, close to family and friends, all while receiving active duty pay. I leave for Ft. Benning, GA in March for more training, Infantry Basic Officer Leadership Course, Ranger School, and Pathfinder School. I am already Airborne qualified and have orders to Air Assault in the works.

The biggest thing I can say, with really job is network yourself and get yourself options. I love my career choice with the CA Guard and Law Enforcement. If one gets slow and not appealing, I can focus on the other for a bit.

Plus, we get to do some gnarly shit in the Infantry.
Great post, Ted. It's refreshing to see young men like yourself striving to become leaders and staying committed to achieving goals.

You're already doing great things, and will continue doing great things!

Old 07-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #129
Peanut Butter and Jaaaaaaaammmmmmm!!
t.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry Officer
Name: Ted
t.hornstra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeetee View Post
Great post, Ted. It's refreshing to see young men like yourself striving to become leaders and staying committed to achieving goals.

You're already doing great things, and will continue doing great things!

Thanks, Kyle. It's been a fun experience so far. Excited to see where it takes me.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #130
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't gotten there yet, but I am dead set on becoming an electrical lineman for either Northwestern Energy or another big energy corporation. I really didn't decide on it, it just popped into my head one afternoon while I was messing around on my computer and seemed like it was my calling. The more I researched it, the more I like it. Being a lineman is one of those careers that has excellent pay and benefits, does not take 4 years and a bachelor's to get into, and is recession proof work. Electricity and petroleum are the two top sources of energy in this world and without them our way of life would end almost instantly and we'd go back to being cave dwellers basically. Only real downside to being a lineman would be the risk side of it, but none of the local lineman around where I live have ever been injured on the job, you just gotta have some common sense and a brain in your skull.

Products Discussed in this Thread