Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

how did you decide on your career?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
how did you decide on your career?

like many people my age, i can't figure out what i want to do, how did you decide on your career?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I was in the Fire Dept/EMT, hired on at 19, and the job I had as part time while I worked there, local Seattle owned lumber company, just kept getting better and better. I kept getting promoted and the pay is good. When I got married I had to make a decision as I was spending way to much time out of the house juggling both .. tho I love and miss the Fire dept. My other job has taken off and was the better choice for my family. Been with them now 15 years last Friday.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Seems to be a lot of LEO/EMT/Fire on this site. Hmm
Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Offer made: Offer accepted

That was pretty much it.

I had done my time in retail, a friend got me out of retail and into aerospace.
While there, another friend who knew that electronics had been a hobby of mine asked if I was interested in working for his company as a lab tech.
They offered to match my Douglas salary, and with the cold war wrapped up and Desert Storm winding down, everyone in my department was concerned about layoffs and I only had 5 years, so I bugged out into the traffic signal industry.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
the4cecop is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Security Forces
the4cecop's Tacoma Gallery
Career

Decided when I was 18. Entered the US Air Force at 19 and retired at age 43. Military was good to me and I respected the military. Thus, they give me a monthly retirement paycheck. Military was the best career in the 80's and 90's, starting going downhill in the 2000's, thus retired. Loved it though, no regrets and free living and traveling round' the world.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
Jnizzle is on a distinguished road

Name: Jack
Jnizzle's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 19, in the same boat man.. My dad just retired from the fire fighting world. I was dead set on it for a long ass time until last summer I got inspired to do something else with my life. The problem is i dont know what it is.

Just go to school if you can while your young, it pays off later. Also, learn about something that interests you and try lots of new things to open doors!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
Yeah about to start working on my business major
Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Yeah about to start working on my business major
That's so 1983
Old 04-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
Lmao true true
Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
JeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
JeremyGrey's Tacoma Gallery
Do anything with a state or federal retirement. If public safety isn't for you, look at your local city HR website and apply for anything. I don't know a whole lot of government workers hurting for money. Also, a lot of the time, they pay for school.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
JeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeremyGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
JeremyGrey's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't notice you live in Tempe. Before I started with the fire dept, I worked for a pest control company. Made good money and loved the job. Go apply at Arizona exterminating at the Scottsdale location.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
My career picked me. It was a temporary gig until I can find a permanent job. They kept giving me raises. Now I can't move on because nobody will hire me starting pay what I make right now.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
I'm a pharmacy technician now. It's just not what I want to do for a "career"
Old 04-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
l1tech is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
l1tech's Tacoma Gallery
Choose something that you have passion for, that will be fun and challenging. If its not fun and not a challenge then it becomes just a job. For me it was cars, so off to trade school and 27 years later I still enjoy what I do.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #17
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Sub
x2
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #18
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Garrett I need to go to mcc this week
Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #20
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Fell into ems. Didn't want a 9-5 desk jockey job. But they've fucked us so badly I'm on the last recruiting legs of fire. Couldn't be happier to switch teams.

Products Discussed in this Thread