Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Graduation tomorrow...

Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Graduation tomorrow...

Crazy how fast things go. Graduating from Arizona State tomorrow with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Automotive concentration...

Have a job interview tomorrow and would love some peoples help as far as professional interviews go.

Also would be appreciative of some feedback from people who work in industry, not as a a dealership tech or anything but more so on the engineering and/or research and development aspect. I have been applying for jobs at the proving grounds out here in Phx area.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Congrates man!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
JTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeryck
JTyfz450's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Congratulations.

Professional interview tips:
~Dress one level above what you would normally wear for the job. If you're not sure, dress nicer. Always err on the side of looking awesome. Dress for success.
~Try not to say, "umm." If you need a second to think, nod slowly and thoughtfully and then reply. If you are good at talking and thinking at the same time, you can reword the question and repeat it back to begin your answer, and that'll give you a moment to think.
~Be well-prepared. Shortly before your interview go over the company's website and make sure you know what they do and how exactly the job you want fits into that.
~When the interviewer says, "Do you have any questions?" DO NOT SAY NO. Always ask questions. Truth is most people don't and it sets you apart if you do. Also it gives you the opportunity to get the interviewer talking about himself. People love to talk about themselves, and if you give them a chance to do that they'll like you. I always like to ask why the interviewer stays with the company and how the company supports its employees in their jobs. Think back to previous jobs you've had. What did you hate about them and what questions would you ask to see if this company does what you didn't like (without being too direct. Think general). Also ask what the next step in the process is and when to expect it.
~If you're nervous it's probably best to avoid jokes, not because you have no sense of humor, but because when you're nervous it won't come out the way you want it to sound and it won't go well. Unless you want to be a stand-up comedian, of course.
~Bring a note pad and a copy of your resume (in a nice leather folder). I've walked into interviews where my resume is sitting on someone else's desk or completely lost, if you can help your interviewer out gracefully it will be much appreciated. Your interviewer is probably a bit nervous, too. Also, take notes.
~Get a business card from your interviewer. As soon as you are home write a thank you note highlighting the best parts of your conversation and expressing a desire to hear from them again soon. Mail it by the end of the day.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Krewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Krewblink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethes View Post
Congratulations.

~Dress one level above what you would normally wear for the job. If you're not sure, dress nicer. Always err on the side of looking awesome. Dress for success.
~Try not to say, "umm." If you need a second to think, nod slowly and thoughtfully and then reply. If you are good at talking and thinking at the same time, you can reword the question and repeat it back to begin your answer, and that'll give you a moment to think.
~Be well-prepared. Shortly before your interview go over the company's website and make sure you know what they do and how exactly the job you want fits into that.
~When the interviewer says, "Do you have any questions?" DO NOT SAY NO. Always ask questions. Truth is most people don't and it sets you apart if you do. Also it gives you the opportunity to get the interviewer talking about himself. People love to talk about themselves, and if you give them a chance to do that they'll like you. I always like to ask why the interviewer stays with the company and how the company supports its employees in their jobs. Think back to previous jobs you've had. What did you hate about them and what questions would you ask to see if this company does what you didn't like (without being too direct. Think general). Also ask what the next step in the process is and when to expect it.
~If you're nervous it's probably best to avoid jokes, not because you have no sense of humor, but because when you're nervous it won't come out the way you want it to sound and it won't go well. Unless you want to be a stand-up comedian, of course.
~Bring a note pad and a copy of your resume (in a nice leather folder). I've walked into interviews where my resume is sitting on someone else's desk or completely lost, if you can help your interviewer out gracefully it will be much appreciated. Your interviewer is probably a bit nervous, too. Also, take notes.
~Get a business card from your interviewer. As soon as you are home write a thank you note highlighting the best parts of your conversation and expressing a desire to hear from them again soon. Mail it by the end of the day.

Good luck!
Great Info. Read this then read it twice. And if you still dont got it down read it again. Good stuff.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Crazy how fast things go. Graduating from Arizona State tomorrow with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Automotive concentration...

Have a job interview tomorrow and would love some peoples help as far as professional interviews go.

Also would be appreciative of some feedback from people who work in industry, not as a a dealership tech or anything but more so on the engineering and/or research and development aspect. I have been applying for jobs at the proving grounds out here in Phx area.
Congrats man!!!!

I can't wait until I grad with a BS in ME.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
One more I forgot to mention: Try to phrase your answers to show knowledge of the company, knowledge of what you'll be doing, and how you can best help the company.

For example, I had an interview for a position as a geologist with an energy company where I was asked, "We have an office in Denver, would you be interested in working there?" Of course I would. Interviewer asked with a laugh and a bit of a joking tone, "Yeah, it's got everything there, skiing, microbreweries... man, that's a great city." Don't think for a second that was an actual joke he was randomly babbling about. My reply: Well, Denver is a great city, I grew up near there. But really I'm interested in that office because I am familiar with the geology of the area, I've done field mapping and described the surface geology including the Cretaceous system that produces oil and gas from wells in northern Colorado." He told me most people answered regarding football and baseball games, so that was good.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have a folder with the following already ready:
note-paper
3 extra resumes
job posting printed out
questions written down already

I also printed out a test report paper from one of my classes. Highlights the fact that I can write a short, to the point technical report utilizing data and putting it to graphs to shows trends and test results...The position I have an interview for is along those lines, they might not need to see it but if they ask how I am at writing reports I feel it would be helpful.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Congrates man!
x2 ... and best on luck hope ya get the job...
Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
Señorita Member

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a folder with the following already ready:
note-paper
3 extra resumes
job posting printed out
questions written down already

I also printed out a test report paper from one of my classes. Highlights the fact that I can write a short, to the point technical report utilizing data and putting it to graphs to shows trends and test results...The position I have an interview for is along those lines, they might not need to see it but if they ask how I am at writing reports I feel it would be helpful.
Good job! Don't forget a pen. Just sayin'.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #14
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
You are one LUCKY guy if you have an interview the day you graduate.
I started applying for jobs early. Took my buddy 6 months to find a job with the same degree and he started looking right when he graduated...I started applying once I say positions open up. First job I sent an resume in for was in February and been doing it since. So yes I am LUCKY but I have been planning ahead of time.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Did you do any internships at all?
I did not do any internships in which I now regret very much
Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
Señorita Member

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did not do any internships in which I now regret very much
Don't let it discourage you. I didn't have any internships either. I interviewed for a bunch but I didn't get them, and then I had to find a job before I finished grad school, too. I was worried both those things would make it difficult for me. It's true that there are jobs I will have difficulty getting because I haven't completed grad school yet, and that's why I will get it done.

Then I did find a job, and it really didn't take nearly as long as I was worried it would (and this was 2010, the job market wasn't great). Guess who I met? A bunch of people with 2 or 3 internships at good, well-known companies who had completed their master's degrees. And by the time I had been working for 6 months I was supervising them.

Try not to regret things you can't change, and certainly don't be negative about it in an interview. Find something else to talk about, other qualifications and job experience, when they ask if you had any internships. Keep a positive attitude and be confident in the skills and qualifications you have.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
congrats and good luck, im still looking at another 3 years for my ME.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
good luck kid!!

i got hired before i graduated. every one of my professors let me out of the final if i went in with a B or better. i coasted in with straight "A's"!!

the above advice is spot on. you cannot under any circumstance head into any interview without studying the company. if they ask, "What do you know about us?" you better have an answer. i was asked, "why do you want to work here?"

i listed some of their past projects they finished successfully that seemed really exciting to me, and i brought up some new government funding recently passed by voters to open up new projects..i was hired on the spot.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Congratulations.

Good luck!
^^^^^ this, very good idea's and ways to kill the interview. I'm a store mgr and I do all the interviewing, hiring/firing and the first impression is what I always look for. If your not dressed to impress don't bother. Always make eye contact and try not to move hands or twittle thumbs. Like Bethes said ask questions to show how interested you are in the company you're pursuing. Good luck man and congrats!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #20
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Congratulations.

Good luck!
most important thing she has said.