1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How on earth can you get even an entry-level job!!

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by acmair, May 8, 2012.

1. Oct 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    michael roberts

michael roberts Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07,4x4, white, AC.
    powder coated hood support.
    Try working for a temp. agency, My co. is always hiring temps, and when a permenent position opens up, those temps are first in line.

2. Oct 23, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Try a smaller airport. Like a non commercial airport. I just started working at one refueling plans and I love it.

But I did have a connection :rolleyes:::cool:

3. Oct 25, 2012 at 1:32 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    They have done jack shit to help me. Today I put in another 100 resume's so totaling up to 320 or so and still haven't gotten jack. I'm going to start selling drug's and have an illegitimate child to collect welfare hell everyone else seems to be doing fine with that. A grocery store recently hired 3 high shcoolers over me the other day I asked the manager about it and they said because it was cheaper and they were more flexible. I basically told the guy to go fuck himself that I applied for any position, any hours, any day at 8.00 an hour. Who the fuck wouldn't want that in an employee? That $1,500 EMT class has done shit for me I can't find anything in a tri-state area. I just want to live on my own, at 21 in med school with an EMT license you'd think I'd be able to handle myself but I'm still stuck here being mom and dad's personal maid/errand boy.

4. Oct 25, 2012 at 1:40 AM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    And the absolute worst of all is that McfuckingDonald's did not hire me but hired a friend of mine that doesn't even have a high school diploma 2 weeks after telling me they couldn't afford to hire anyone. That's what bother's me the most. I these fucker's ever come into my ER I'm going to make sure to stick them with the biggest, dullest, dirtiest needle I can find.

5. Oct 25, 2012 at 1:49 AM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
    The biggest problem with finding a job in today's job market is over qualification. There are a lot of people out there right now with BS and higher degrees that have been forced into working blue collar jobs. Unfortunately if you have the credentials and apply for a menial job a lot of employers see you as a genuine threat to their position.

Just my .02

6. Oct 25, 2012 at 1:56 AM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    My collar keeps getting a darker shade of blue. Around here McD's is pretty up scale. I'm going to disgusta tomorrow to blanket the city.
    [​IMG]

7. Oct 25, 2012 at 2:06 AM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    Join the army..... or the national guard....

Every really good job is going to want previous employment in that specific or related field. Have you tried any of the regional airports? I can tell you that your first bs job is going to suck. I work in the private security industry myself. There are many levels. To get in it is easy (at least for prior service). But to advance it is much much harder.

My first job was when i was 15 at a giant food warehouse (supermarket). Then the army. Now the PSI. (with some bs home remoldaling jobs here and there, as well as reposession)

Suck it up. Take a BS job with decent pay. Stay there for 6 months and find something better. Good Luck

8. Oct 25, 2012 at 2:12 AM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Have you looked into the volunteer fire department? If you stay with them for a little while, they will hire you on full time, and if you dont plan on staying that route, it looks great on a resume

9. Oct 25, 2012 at 2:35 AM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    I feel your pain man. been out of the work force since November of 2010, until this week where I've finally got pick up for a part time job for a local air cargo position. in that gap of being unemployed, I've applied for literally almost hundreds of jobs. got a call here and interview there. but it seems like I was either under qualified or they didn't like me haha. like someone else mention I also applied for a temp agency. got a few temp jobs but not to where it'll last long enough to get a decent pay. everyday I worried about how I would pay this bill and that bill. my savings is almost depleted as of now. I don't mine part time right now, because it is a stepping stone to getting a full time position.

I guess my only advice to you is keep applying. Online is the way to go, a few that I've use are indeed.com, monster.com. You just have to keep looking, strengthen your resume with your work background.

10. Oct 25, 2012 at 3:39 AM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
    I have to agree 100% to this. Because of my 8 years of service it is much easier to find employment that is tech related due to my background. And my TS clearance is also another huge help in any field I aim for, that needs one of course. Not to mention with a solid military background your employer will for the most part consider you a very stable and trustworthy employee.

That speaks volumes!! Anymore they would rather have the experience than a piece of paper, but I have mine just in case I need it :D

11. Oct 25, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    Mrogers33

Mrogers33 The way is open, the time is now

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    03 doublecab 4x4 grocery getter
    agreed, my father always told me its not what you know but who you know, and this has proven to be true in my quest for employment. Back on topic, I know it sucks, how can an entry level want experience? isn't that what the entry position is for to gain experience? lol

12. Oct 25, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

sleep your way to the top

13. Oct 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I know now how shitty it is. I got hired by a company, told it would take about 2 months to start, really sweet gig....start date got pushed and then they said they didnt need me anymore. So im in the same boat. I send resumes out, maybe a call or 2 a week. Some say well we want someone straight out of college. One interview the guy said I like you but I have 20 to do over the next 2 weeks and we dont have the budget to pay what you're use to. It really fuckin blows out there. When I was in ATL I would go to the gym mid day, it was full of recent grads just workin out with shit to do.

14. Oct 31, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Don't know that I agree with that. Your friends can only talk you up to their boss so much. If you don't have the skills/background you still won't get the job. So really all your friends did was give you an opportunity to get a job, and help you out a little bit by speaking well of you.

On another note, I spent 2 months recruiting a friend to work for my company, took him out for drinks and all that. He really would have been a good fit for the job. I spoke well of him to my boss, my boss interviewed him and liked him. He was hired! And then he FAILED HIS DRUG TEST.

Yeah, thanks. I've barely spoken to him since. Lesson learned, it'll be a while before I stick my neck out for anyone else.

15. Oct 31, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Find a way to make something ordinary sound extra-ordinary.

Here's one job I currently have..my duties include:

Direct contact with 140 people that I manage..total people I am responsible for is about 1200.

Scheduling so I don't have too many people in the same place.

Collecting payment for services, itemizing an Excel spreadsheet, and turning this in to our treasurer.

Run 4 meetings a year with said 140 people, explain the task and duties they have.

Deal with any issues that may arise, such as disciplinary and reporting of results.

Input data into our website..monitor that site and check against paper copy.

Be available via phone/email/text at any time, on call till 1am one night a week.

Coordinate results with business admin of organization.

Our mission statement in part:

brings together people of diverse heritage and backgrounds and provides opportunities for valuable personal and cultural exchange.. has organized and established its activities in accordance with the principles of open membership..holds socially beneficial programs and charitable fund raising activities along with upholding strong ideals of service to community.

Just for chuckles..anyone want to take a guess in general at what this job is? And how the pay structure is? I'll post after I get some replies.

16. Oct 31, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    ^^^ Temp agency:notsure:??

17. Oct 31, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand

General Sales? Like a pyramid scheme?

or some sort of account manager?

18. Oct 31, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    Keep applying.

19. Nov 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
  20. Nov 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    nobody would have guessed that. But I do remember you saying something about one before

To Top