Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

How on earth can you get even an entry-level job!!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
acmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
acmair's Tacoma Gallery
How on earth can you get even an entry-level job!!

I've been applying for jobs left and right the past month, hoping to get a part-time job at the airport (LAX or BUR) that I can start over the summer. I love the industry and want an entry level job like a ramp agent or customer service rep that gets screamed at. But even these so called entry-level jobs require so much previous employment that I don't know what to do! How does anyone go about getting their first job when every job requires previous employment these days?!?!

Sorry just getting really frustrated
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
find some one you know that works there and start asking for favors
Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
I've found more jobs though friends and former co workers than any other source.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
TacoG91 is on a distinguished road

Army:
TacoG91's Tacoma Gallery
^^ networking is the #1 way to finding a job
Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
ya, networking is the key. i got my last 3 jobs through friends of friends.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I know how you feel I've been applying for jobs since I could work but have yet to even get a call back. I've always called them to check on my application and make sure they've seen it but until my dad got on the phone with a friend of the family that manages 3 hotels I couldn't get anything.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Its all about connections my friend, I would probably be working at a fast food joint this summer if it wasn't for a friend of mine setting up an interview for me.

the more you network, the better chance you have of finding a job
Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
acmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shedacmair is one of the sharper tools in the shed

acmair's Tacoma Gallery
That's pretty unanimous then, networking is key! Damn it, I fail in that department lol
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmair View Post
That's pretty unanimous then, networking is key! Damn it, I fail in that department lol
aks parents friends, family friends who know people and can give you recommendations, you probably have more than you expect. I got my interview that I was talking about through a high school calculus teacher. ask anyone who you knew in school, old teachers if you knew them well are great. parents, friends, relatives who know people, etc...

Just take the time and look, and you will probably find more than you expect.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
go make some friends, they will help you lol.

Although the last job I got involved zero networking. I applied and got the job 2 days later, they were desperate for more staff.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
All is not lost. Networking is the easy way but if you're short on network, you just have to make up for it. May I ask how you apply for jobs? The reason I ask is because a lot of people send it in via email or a website. So if you dress decently and actually walk up to the person who will be interviewing you, shake their hand, and talk to them, you'd be surprised how far it gets you.

Sounds like you're following up with phone calls and thank you letters. It takes persistence and a good attitude. I've done job searches where the attitude was the hardest part, not letting the constant "That position was filled" get to you. Set goals for getting resumes out and meeting people bur don't forget to do things to keep a good attitude. Go play pool with some friends, relax. If you think about getting a job as your job, remember to give yourself a "weekend" once in a while. Helps keep you fresh and feeling positive.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
go make some friends, they will help you lol.

Although the last job I got involved zero networking. I applied and got the job 2 days later, they were desperate for more staff.
That's kinda how my industry is. My company could hire 200 people right now, but we can't find enough people with the minimum qualifications.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Networking is key. Among other things.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #14

acmair's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethes View Post
All is not lost. Networking is the easy way but if you're short on network, you just have to make up for it. May I ask how you apply for jobs? The reason I ask is because a lot of people send it in via email or a website. So if you dress decently and actually walk up to the person who will be interviewing you, shake their hand, and talk to them, you'd be surprised how far it gets you.

Sounds like you're following up with phone calls and thank you letters. It takes persistence and a good attitude. I've done job searches where the attitude was the hardest part, not letting the constant "That position was filled" get to you. Set goals for getting resumes out and meeting people bur don't forget to do things to keep a good attitude. Go play pool with some friends, relax. If you think about getting a job as your job, remember to give yourself a "weekend" once in a while. Helps keep you fresh and feeling positive.
Wow, thanks! I really appreciate the time you put into this answer and I will definitely try to abide by the tips you put there. Honestly, I have been applying through websites and have sent emails. I haven't been actually going to potential employers. The main reasoning is that they are at the airport, and I'm not really sure how I would get a hold of anyone responsible for hiring while I'm there. Also, although I am looking for a job, I want a part-time job to compliment my school work, not for the money but for the experience, so don't worry, I wont turn searching for a job, into a job

Thanks again though to everyone!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Señorita Member

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow, thanks! I really appreciate the time you put into this answer and I will definitely try to abide by the tips you put there. Honestly, I have been applying through websites and have sent emails. I haven't been actually going to potential employers. The main reasoning is that they are at the airport, and I'm not really sure how I would get a hold of anyone responsible for hiring while I'm there. Also, although I am looking for a job, I want a part-time job to compliment my school work, not for the money but for the experience, so don't worry, I wont turn searching for a job, into a job

Thanks again though to everyone!
You're welcome, I hope it helps. Navigating the airport to meet the appropriate people will be really good, if you can do that (I have no idea if security is going to be a problem there). Not many people will make the effort. Call around, see if it's possible to get into their office.

I think meeting an actual human being face-to-face is probably more important than ever. I think just in general we are cut off a little bit from people, thanks to all this awesome technology. Email and text messages are awesome but we haven't changed, only technology has. We still like to interact with humans, people are social, it's how we have survived the eons: in groups, not alone. So actual contact with a person probably goes farther in a job search now than it did before. Just my opinion. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Start at Mickey d's . Getting a job from a friend or working with your dad sometimes is not getting a job and is laughable.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #17
Señorita Member

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Start at Mickey d's . Getting a job from a friend or working with your dad sometimes is not getting a job and is laughable.
Depends how you work when you're there. I've gotten my last 2 jobs because I applied and then a friend has pestered their boss into hiring me. And sure, someone helped me get the job but once there it's up to me not only to keep the job but not to make my friends look bad to our boss for helping me out. And that means working hard. Hard work means I have a good reputation both in the company and with our customers (any of whom are potential future employers for me). That help from your friends or your dad isn't laughable at all, it gives you an opportunity. What you do with that opportunity is up to you.

Also, he wants a specific job. McDonald's isn't helpful advice for OP. Just sayin'.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #18
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I'm stating that's where you would start . You don't just get any job as a first job . It's like a first car loan etc . You don't use daddy to co sign . Get out there and do it .

" I won't turn looking for a job into a job"
" I apply online "
" I don't know who to contact"

Ummmm...
Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #19
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been applying for jobs left and right the past month, hoping to get a part-time job at the airport (LAX or BUR) that I can start over the summer. I love the industry and want an entry level job like a ramp agent or customer service rep that gets screamed at. But even these so called entry-level jobs require so much previous employment that I don't know what to do! How does anyone go about getting their first job when every job requires previous employment these days?!?!

Sorry just getting really frustrated
Get a job at McDonalds INSIDE the airport? Maybe you'll get to rub shoulders with the folks who work where you want to work? Just an idea. I'm not a shiny example of how to network either.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #20
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
You want to work at LAX or Burbank?... Wow props to you ha I could never do it. All those people look so unhappy too.