1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How on earth can you get even an entry-level job!!

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by acmair, May 8, 2012.

1. May 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    acmair

acmair [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP PreRunner Dbl Cab Short Bed SR5
    I've been applying for jobs left and right the past month, hoping to get a part-time job at the airport (LAX or BUR) that I can start over the summer. I love the industry and want an entry level job like a ramp agent or customer service rep that gets screamed at. But even these so called entry-level jobs require so much previous employment that I don't know what to do! How does anyone go about getting their first job when every job requires previous employment these days?!?!

Sorry just getting really frustrated

2. May 8, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    find some one you know that works there and start asking for favors

3. May 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    I've found more jobs though friends and former co workers than any other source.

4. May 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    TacoG91

TacoG91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverside ca
    Vehicle:
    04 prerunner, 2016 4runner, 88 wrangler
    ^^ networking is the #1 way to finding a job

5. May 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    ya, networking is the key. i got my last 3 jobs through friends of friends.

6. May 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I know how you feel I've been applying for jobs since I could work but have yet to even get a call back. I've always called them to check on my application and make sure they've seen it but until my dad got on the phone with a friend of the family that manages 3 hotels I couldn't get anything.

7. May 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    Its all about connections my friend, I would probably be working at a fast food joint this summer if it wasn't for a friend of mine setting up an interview for me.

the more you network, the better chance you have of finding a job

8. May 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    acmair

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    That's pretty unanimous then, networking is key! Damn it, I fail in that department lol

9. May 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    aks parents friends, family friends who know people and can give you recommendations, you probably have more than you expect. I got my interview that I was talking about through a high school calculus teacher. ask anyone who you knew in school, old teachers if you knew them well are great. parents, friends, relatives who know people, etc...

Just take the time and look, and you will probably find more than you expect.

10. May 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    go make some friends, they will help you lol.

Although the last job I got involved zero networking. I applied and got the job 2 days later, they were desperate for more staff.

11. May 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    All is not lost. Networking is the easy way but if you're short on network, you just have to make up for it. May I ask how you apply for jobs? The reason I ask is because a lot of people send it in via email or a website. So if you dress decently and actually walk up to the person who will be interviewing you, shake their hand, and talk to them, you'd be surprised how far it gets you.

Sounds like you're following up with phone calls and thank you letters. It takes persistence and a good attitude. I've done job searches where the attitude was the hardest part, not letting the constant "That position was filled" get to you. Set goals for getting resumes out and meeting people bur don't forget to do things to keep a good attitude. Go play pool with some friends, relax. If you think about getting a job as your job, remember to give yourself a "weekend" once in a while. Helps keep you fresh and feeling positive.

12. May 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    That's kinda how my industry is. My company could hire 200 people right now, but we can't find enough people with the minimum qualifications.

13. May 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    acmair

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    Wow, thanks! I really appreciate the time you put into this answer and I will definitely try to abide by the tips you put there. Honestly, I have been applying through websites and have sent emails. I haven't been actually going to potential employers. The main reasoning is that they are at the airport, and I'm not really sure how I would get a hold of anyone responsible for hiring while I'm there. Also, although I am looking for a job, I want a part-time job to compliment my school work, not for the money but for the experience, so don't worry, I wont turn searching for a job, into a job :)

Thanks again though to everyone!

14. May 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    You're welcome, I hope it helps. Navigating the airport to meet the appropriate people will be really good, if you can do that (I have no idea if security is going to be a problem there). Not many people will make the effort. Call around, see if it's possible to get into their office.

I think meeting an actual human being face-to-face is probably more important than ever. I think just in general we are cut off a little bit from people, thanks to all this awesome technology. Email and text messages are awesome but we haven't changed, only technology has. We still like to interact with humans, people are social, it's how we have survived the eons: in groups, not alone. So actual contact with a person probably goes farther in a job search now than it did before. Just my opinion. Good luck!

15. May 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Depends how you work when you're there. I've gotten my last 2 jobs because I applied and then a friend has pestered their boss into hiring me. And sure, someone helped me get the job but once there it's up to me not only to keep the job but not to make my friends look bad to our boss for helping me out. And that means working hard. Hard work means I have a good reputation both in the company and with our customers (any of whom are potential future employers for me). That help from your friends or your dad isn't laughable at all, it gives you an opportunity. What you do with that opportunity is up to you.

Also, he wants a specific job. McDonald's isn't helpful advice for OP. Just sayin'.

16. May 8, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Get a job at McDonalds INSIDE the airport? Maybe you'll get to rub shoulders with the folks who work where you want to work? Just an idea. I'm not a shiny example of how to network either.

17. May 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    You want to work at LAX or Burbank?... Wow props to you ha I could never do it. All those people look so unhappy too.

18. May 8, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Well sounds like school is his job, he's looking for part time work anyway. I'm guessing OP is fairly young and a lot of people in high school and college have never looked for a job. It's a skill and unless someone gives you a little direction most people don't know what to do. I know I didn't; I 100% followed the advice of a friend who has a knack for landing jobs. He's never interviewed for a job he hasn't been offered, and he rarely applies somewhere he doesn't get an interview. If that means calling in a favor with a friend who already works there, cool. Following his lead I've been pretty successful.

So now OP knows he needs to do some research, find out who to talk to, and how to contact them. There's so much focus on online job searches that those skills just aren't really mentioned much. So now he has had his prospects broadened a bit, he'll start seeing other ways he can make it work.

And if we are comparing jobs searches to car loans, sometimes you do ask dad to co-sign. You get a better deal, and it's an opportunity to build your credit so next time you need a loan you have your own credit to use. And jobs work the same: sometimes you ask someone for help, you get hired then start building your professional "credit."

19. May 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    HammerHead

HammerHead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD OffRoad PreRunner SR5 DC
    Network. Network. Network.

And Linkedin can be very helpful too. Start building those contact lists.

20. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    ToyComa84

ToyComa84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt(hew)
    "flatland"
    Vehicle:
    03 prerunner sr5
    plasti dipped wheel caps,

AGREED! :)

To Top