Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

RN or Database Management

Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
tacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant future
tacoma4x4girl's Tacoma Gallery
RN or Database Management

I need some thoughts here...

I picked to start prerequisites for RN this August and I know that I have to work hard and my GPA will determine if I make the actual nursing school next fall, but I also have to go through a panel interview. I'm just a little nervous what if I do good, but still don't make it.

I was so nervous about that I had looked at Database Management before the RN, but I've heard you just won't make much money with just an Associate degree in a computer field.

Am I choosing the right thing with the RN?

I want to have a job after college(not wondering where can I use this degree at) and I want to make decent money. I'm single and I want to always have my Tacomas and fix them up and all that so I want a job that I can have what I want if I always do stay single.

I just wanted some last minute thoughts.....
Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
check out www.dice.com and see what most companies are looking for in the database administrator/management field. db admins can make a lot of money, but i'm not sure what the hiring and degree requirements would be
Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
RN. You can take that anywhere in the world and work. Opens far more doors for you. However you'll be mocked by EMS personnel everywhere for calling them in to do spinal immobilization for your PT who walked in from an MVA.

Do the nursing. Seriously.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
tacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
RN. You can take that anywhere in the world and work. Opens far more doors for you. However you'll be mocked by EMS personnel everywhere for calling them in to do spinal immobilization for your PT who walked in from an MVA.

Do the nursing. Seriously.

Thank you!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
CJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to behold
Army: RN-Army Reserve 66H
Name: Clint
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with what Krazie said. I am an RN, and I dont regret my career path at all. Its such a diverse field you can really do anything or work anywhere. You will never have trouble finding a job.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJH9980 View Post
I agree with what Krazie said. I am an RN, and I dont regret my career path at all. Its such a diverse field you can really do anything or work anywhere. You will never have trouble finding a job.
Thanks! I'm just a lil nervous since I don't want to make a mistake
Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
CJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to behold
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma4x4girl View Post
Thanks! I'm just a lil nervous since I don't want to make a mistake
Its a big decision, but you won't regret it. Put in a little hard work, and you'll be well rewarded!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJH9980 View Post
Its a big decision, but you won't regret it. Put in a little hard work, and you'll be well rewarded!

I know they are paid well for the hard work and that's worth it. I can't make that much with out college and some would take at least 4 years too.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma4x4girl View Post
I know they are paid well for the hard work and that's worth it. I can't make that much with out college and some would take at least 4 years too.
Once you get your initial degree, lots of doors will open for you to get advanced degrees and certifications. It's nice because there's always options as far as what you want to do; you never get burned out.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Heather
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have experience with nursing or anything nursing related? I wanted to be an RN. So, I went and got my CNA license first while in college. Then after working briefly as a CNA, I realized that I disliked dealing with people in that way...especially sick people. I'm just lucky that I had a different subject to fall back on. Just a thought...
Old 07-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
Do you have experience with nursing or anything nursing related? I wanted to be an RN. So, I went and got my CNA license first while in college. Then after working briefly as a CNA, I realized that I disliked dealing with people in that way...especially sick people. I'm just lucky that I had a different subject to fall back on. Just a thought...
Nope I sure don't. I never thought about doing that.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Oh in the medical profession you'll make mistakes. And it'll scare the ever loving shit out of you. But you'll learn and you'll never make that mistake again. It happens, but you move on from it.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
RN...IMO. Lots of Database Mgmt people out there. Now, if you were talking about Database Development, and truly had an affinity for this--it's not for everyone, you could make a buttload of money--easy six figures, $75+/hr (my sis-in-law is one of the best in this field and makes $135/hr before bonus). That being said, all the nurses I have ever known (more than casually) had nothing but positive things to say about their career choice. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #14
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
What do you WANT to do? Do you want to help people? or do you want to "play" with computers?
Old 07-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
sandman29306 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
sandman29306's Tacoma Gallery
I cannot imagine a job with more flexibility than nursing. Even if you one day get tired of direct care, insurance companies use RNs. Our anesthesia group employs several in interesting ways. Our hospital is going to computer charting and there are many nurses going that route dealing with data management. You can choose to be a FT employee or do locums as a 1099 and travel all over.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Can't help with the computer job, but I can recommend nursing as a career choice. It's something I could not do, but my mom has been an RN for 36 years. She has had the same job at the same hospital for the last 20 years or so.

She's never had any fear of being laid off, no lack of hours, plenty of overtime when she wants it, and after gaining seniority, no forced overtime that I've ever heard of. Sometimes she'll work late a couple of hours, but no forced extra shifts. Three twelve to fourteen hour shifts a week is fulltime where she works. So, four days off a week is normal.

I believe she's over 40 bucks an hour before overtime. She LOVES getting called in for an extra shift! Union has negotiated a nice pay plan for those call-ins. I forget the details, but it's all time and a half and you get paid a good minimum just to show up. The only people I know that make more money than she does work in nuclear power, or own a successful business.

There are many travel nurses out there as well. There is such a shortage of nurses that the hospitals have to bring them in from out of the area. Mom says they all get paid as much as she does, plus they have a housing allowance. I do appliance repair, and I get to see where these nurses are living on their housing allowance. Think ocean view property. All while they are paying their own bills back home as well.

We've got a nursing program at the local community college, and the local hospitals STILL have problems keeping a full staff of RNs.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Oh in the medical profession you'll make mistakes. And it'll scare the ever loving shit out of you. But you'll learn and you'll never make that mistake again. It happens, but you move on from it.

Does it happen alot? That will scare me to death!!! All my dad said is just make sure you know what your doing cause everything you do is dealing with someone's life. He suggested I do this right out of high school.. Only if I would have listened....
Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #19
TakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
TakDwn's Tacoma Gallery
Definately, without a doubt, Nursing.
No matter what area of the country I live in - I have a well paying job.
No matter how much the economy tanks - I have a well paying job.
When I wanted to travel - I got a well paying job with a travel nursing company. 12 weeks snowboarding in Colorado. 12 weeks surfing in California. The travel company paid for my 2 bedroom condo, gave me $150/wk for food, and paid me a nice salary.
Always availablity for OT and extra hours.
Always have had self scheduling. Work 3, 12 hour shifts per week. Off 4 days each week.
You'll also meet many great people. Co-workers getting together after work and on weekends for parties, cookouts, camping, offroading, biking, wine tasting, etc.
Can't imagine doing anything else.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #20
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
CRNA....maybe RN along the way????