Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Questions for Contractors

Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Questions for Contractors

I figured this site needs a specific place to ask contractors questions and get correct answers and for contractors to ask each other questions and BS. I know we have more then our fare share of guys and gals doing good work in here.

I was thinking it would be good that when someone answers they provide a quick summary of their credentials to start off. It's always good to know the guy answering your specific questions isn't an apprentice with little to no life experience.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea Boyd

I'm a carpenter by trade , I've been at it for 24 years now

I'm also a General Contractor and have had my own company for 13 years
Old 07-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I'm an estimator and project manager for a union glazing company on the east coast.

I have been working with glass and aluminum for 22 years (started as a jobsite gopher when I was 10).

I received my training in the field thanks to old school Pollocks and Italians in my family.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea for a thread Boyd. +1
Old 08-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
I am a local #1 plumber
i have been doing plumbing for a long ass time...(24+years)
started with my uncle when i was real young
now i am an inspector with nycha / nyfd
i mainly do inspections of the beach now.....
i have to make sure the tides rises as said......
UNION PRIDE......
Old 08-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea what I do, but I'm really really good at it. Here if anyone has questions.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Construction employment down in 33 states

http://www.usglassmag.com/2013/05/co.../#.UaeJbpy57iM
Old 05-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
DCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
2 questions
attic fans for house
and roof replacement on garage

I know the answer is usually get an estimate from a local contractor...but I don't want to waste anyones time if I can't afford to do it yet. I am interested in installing two attic fans since it is getting unbearably hot in my old 1930's house w/ plaster walls and no insulation and it's not even hot outside yet! It's a big attic space, roof probably should be replaced within 10 years, inspector said this before buying last year.

What else would help with cooling the house? I am also planning to get a screen door for the front so I can allow more air flow. Central AC is likely way too expensive right now since they seem to cost $4k not including install. Is there another option besides portable Ac and window ac? Last time I had a portable AC it was really loud. Although I am thinking of picking one up today so my family visiting this weekend isn't miserable

How much does a garage roof installation usually cost? replacing wood and shingles. The garage is two car about 400 sq. ft
The roof on garage is leaking and whoever installed it did a bad job.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I'm an estimator and project manager for a union glazing company on the east coast.

I have been working with glass and aluminum for 22 years (started as a jobsite gopher when I was 10).

I received my training in the field thanks to old school Pollocks and Italians in my family.
Been a while..... I quit that job and now I started a engineered glass entrance division for a large glass manufacturing company. Oh how I miss baby sitting union guys and running around all the time when I was a sub contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGirl View Post
2 questions
attic fans for house

I know the answer is usually get an estimate from a local contractor...but I don't want to waste anyones time if I can't afford to do it yet. I am interested in installing two attic fans since it is getting unbearably hot in my old 1930's house w/ plaster walls and no insulation and it's not even hot outside yet! It's a big attic space, roof probably should be replaced within 10 years, inspector said this before buying last year.

What else would help with cooling the house? I am also planning to get a screen door for the front so I can allow more air flow. Central AC is likely way too expensive right now since they seem to cost $4k not including install. Is there another option besides portable Ac and window ac? Last time I had a portable AC it was really loud. Although I am thinking of picking one up today so my family visiting this weekend isn't miserable

How much does a garage roof installation usually cost? replacing wood and shingles. The garage is two car about 400 sq. ft
Got any pics of the house and garage? I know jack about carpentry but I would imagine it would help the other guys.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
not here
off the hook
Old 09-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #11
ifavorpinktacos1 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
ifavorpinktacos1's Tacoma Gallery
attic fans and re-roof plans... for your garage

hi there little lady. I have been a general contractor in
socal for over 25 years now and here is my advice.
1. look into a whole house fan that can be installed in your flat ceiling somewhere like a hallway. With this type of fan you can maximize your air exchange throughout your home while keeping the hot stuffy air out of your attic. It's all about air exchange and with this system all you need is an open screened window or door at each end of the home and you will notice a significant drop iin your temp. inside of your home right away. IIt is very reasonable to install also with a fan unit and installation running no more than say 350.00 to 450.00 complete or less if you choose to install it yourself. Any legit handyman should be able to tackle this fairly easy task in less than three hours for sure. One more thing , screened gable vents are a must to push the hot air out of the attic and they should already be up there but if they aren't get em, and you''ll stay cool for many years to come... cost effectively!
2. As for the 400 sq ft garage roof, although there are some factors that need attention overall you should be able to get a qualified tradesman or contractor to do your small job for less than 200.00 per square. A square in this instance is the unit price brealdown for roofing and is as follows One "Square" is equall to 100 sqare feet of roof.
So if you have 400 square feet of roofing, it is considered to be 4 Square in trade terms. If you speak in these terms to your local tradesmaen or contractors they will figure you know something about the trade and will be less likely to pull the wool over your eyes, so to speak. If you have 1x6 spaced sheathing it should probably be sheathed over with some 1/2" osb type of plywood( standard for today's industry) (osb=oriented strand board) and it will add structural integrity to your garage if it is soace sheathed. A great investment for a nominal extra charge. Only if needed.
Again , for small jobs such as these, look into a local handyman service or finding one through your church or community center. In this economy you are bound to find plenty of qualified pro's who are out of work and will do a great job for you . Good luck and stay cool. bye
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGirl View Post
2 questions
attic fans for house

Old 09-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #12
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
dudettes

why the fuck would someone epoxy ceiling anchors for blinds to a stucco ceiling?
Is this a common thing?

any ideas from my tw contractors?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe they were worried that screws or toggles would start spiderweb cracks in the stucco
Old 09-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
nettto is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
nettto's Tacoma Gallery
Yesterday I discovered I have a bad section of drain pipe under my grandma's house- crawl space with 3.5' x 2.5' access opening. The pipe had been leaking bad for a while- kitchen sink & shower water. The bad section is 6 feet cast iron pipe, T on one end, and a coupling on the other.
I rented a DriEaz 1200 dehumidifier from homedepot for $29 a day http://www.drieaz.com/_DEC/DEC_Produ...spx?decID=1059

Questions:
Should I bother looking around for a dehumidifier that I can rent that will be more effective and will fit in the access opening? The one I have does 15 gallons a day

The cast iron pipe is threaded. Should I have it replaced with plastic or cast iron? The house was built in the late 40's and I think the drain pipes are original. I am thinking maybe having more of it replaced than just the bad section. I think its 18 feet to where there's the big fitting that goes out towards the street.
I'm going to try to get a plumber to look at it tomorrow but want to continue to dry it out until they get here and want to consider my options. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
WOOT!!

The Architecture Billings Index (ABI) showed more acceleration in the growth of design activity nationally. As a leading economic indicator of construction activity, the ABI reflects the approximate nine- to 12-month lead time between architecture billings and construction spending. The American Institute of Architects (AIA) reported the August ABI score was 53.8, up from a mark of 52.7 in July. This score reflects an increase in demand for design services (any score above 50 indicates an increase in billings). The new projects inquiry index was 63.0, down from the reading of 66.4 the previous month.
“As business conditions at architecture firms have improved 11 out of the past 12 months, it is fair to say that the design professions are in a recovery mode,” says Dr. Kermit Baker, the AIA’s chief economist. “This upturn signals an impending turnaround in nonresidential construction activity, but a key component to maintaining this momentum is the ability of businesses to obtain financing for real estate projects, and for a resolution to the federal government budget and debt ceiling impasse.”
The West showed the highest regional average for the month of August at 54.8, followed by the Northeast (54.4),Midwest (52.8) and the South (51.9). Mixed practiced rated as the highest sector at 60.1, followed by commercial /industrial (54.8), multi-family residential (52.1) and institutional (50.8).
Regional and sector averages are calculated as a three-month average, whereas the index and inquiries are monthly numbers.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Hello everyone, my name is Nick.

TW: Hi Nick.

Nick: I am a Draftsman in the Modular Home industry. Been here for about 6 months so I'm still a newbie.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
I've done a little bit of it all. Carpenter for 7 years, working mostly with retardants. I.e., sound boards, undulations, fire stops etc. But I did attend all classes to obtain journeyman card. Of course I have Famous Fabrication and now I am working for a cell tower company.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
I've done a little bit of it all. Carpenter for 7 years, working mostly with retardants. I.e., sound boards, undulations, fire stops etc. But I did attend all classes to obtain journeyman card. Of course I have Famous Fabrication and now I am working for a cell tower company.
Most of the guys I work with are retardants too
Old 11-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
ryanf is a splendid one to beholdryanf is a splendid one to beholdryanf is a splendid one to beholdryanf is a splendid one to beholdryanf is a splendid one to beholdryanf is a splendid one to behold
ryanf's Tacoma Gallery
Not to Hi Jack thread just a quesion.

Oh I'm Ryan, been doing rentals for years here in NY, GC, and do a lot of everything.

Do you guys use your Tacos for work? I sold mine when i just couldn't load the bed as heavy as i needed, my trailer was 4500/5000 lbs and just proved too much to pulled every day by my taco, had to move up. It was a sad day.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanf View Post
Not to Hi Jack thread just a quesion.

Oh I'm Ryan, been doing rentals for years here in NY, GC, and do a lot of everything.

Do you guys use your Tacos for work? I sold mine when i just couldn't load the bed as heavy as i needed, my trailer was 4500/5000 lbs and just proved too much to pulled every day by my taco, had to move up. It was a sad day.
I use a computer all day but the truck is used for hauling/towing almost every weekend! Agreed though, 5k+ and you're gonna not like towing. At 4k it's noticeable but you push past that and it starts to suck