Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

General Education careers above $40k

Old 07-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
General Education careers above $40k

Can you guys recommend some careers that pay around $40k and up that you can have with any degree? I'm looking for something where I work primarily indoors, but I wouldn't be sitting at a computer screen 40 hrs a week (a few hours per day works though). I like meeting people and interacting with them in person. I thought "Insurance Adjuster" would be ok, but then I read where you have to work in a call center for a few years first. I've gotten pretty close to a few Corporate Security positions, and just missed a $70k position to an attractive female. I don't blame them.

I enjoy law enforcement, but I'm getting tired of sitting in a car 40 hours a week, wearing a vest and gun belt when it's 90+ degrees, and working every weekend. I feel like it's taking a toll on my health. I have a Bachelor's degree.

What are some cool careers I can research?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
What is your BS for?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
Man, it's tough out there... especially if you don't have a clear idea of what you want to do. Have you thought about starting your own business? Also, regardless of what your degree is, remember that a degree is only 1 facet of it; go do what you want and don't let your education dictate what that is.

Me, I make $60K+ with a HS Diploma and an honorable discharge
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Sell insurance?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Garage View Post
Me, I make $60K+ with a HS Diploma and an honorable discharge
please tell me what you do. Im just over 40k a year with a HS diploma and a honorable discharge.

I currently work on an air force base as a civilian contractor.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
I'm a field service Engineer. I was a SATCOM guy in the Army, and after discharge started fixing copiers. Then moved up to 5-axis robotic pill-counters (pharmacy automation), and now work in the Rapid Prototyping industry. We service machines that can print 3D moving assemblies, which is pretty cool

Like I said, don't let your degree limit you when it comes time for a re-evaluation. You can do whatever you want. Hell, I am to the point where I'm ready to take HVAC courses at night, and start my own Heating & Cooling business. Me and a van full of tools/parts, make my own hours, maybe grow it for 10 years and sell it... who knows??
Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
What is your BS for?
Criminal Justice. I think it was a worthless major since I learned more in the police academy than I did in CJUS classes.

I would enjoy just about any career that involves interacting with people on a regular basis. I'm still looking for private sector law enforcement jobs (district loss prevention, corporate security, etc), but I might go a completely different route if I don't find something by the end of the year. I just want to do some research.

I found another job where you show people around a retirement community (this place is a huge resort), and you try to sell them on putting their family there. I thought that was interesting since I'd be on my feet and meet people, and I wouldn't have to take care of the seniors.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked into an LP (Loss Prevention/Asset Protection) Job?

I'm in Corporate Security/LP for a very large cell phone provider. Check out LP Jobs.com and see what you can find. LP is a natural transition for a lot of LEO people looking to get into the "corporate" world.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly don't know anything about it but I have a friend who got a degree in english and is now actually a successful realtor.. I don't know the exact requirements but I don't think they are extensive. Just a thought.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Bender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bender581's Tacoma Gallery
Have you thought about teaching at a police academy. With a BS and your work experence you have what academies and junior colleges are looking for. Also, some public schools are looking for resource officers.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Best of luck to you, as for your degree I am not sure how much it matters what degree you have per say but that you have one. ( obviously not always true) I have my degree in comunications and I work for a energy company. My degree just showed I am trainable.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
R.O.U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrom View Post
My degree just showed I am trainable.

Exactly.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Have you looked into an LP (Loss Prevention/Asset Protection) Job?

I'm in Corporate Security/LP for a very large cell phone provider. Check out LP Jobs.com and see what you can find. LP is a natural transition for a lot of LEO people looking to get into the "corporate" world.
I mentioned LP in the post above yours, lol. I worked as a LP Supervisor for 3 years before law enforcement. LPjobs is a good source, but alot of companies don't use it. I have attended 40 hrs of Interview/Interrogation training, which I'm sure you know is useful in that field. Nothing ever pops up at the district level around here, and I'm done with wrestling people at the store level. I just missed out on a district investigator job for a major pharmacy retailer that would have supervised 30 locations. I thought the interview went well.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Check with a company called Southern Wine and Spirits. We are in about 25 states and there is big money to be made depending on what you do.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Check with a company called Southern Wine and Spirits. We are in about 25 states and there is big money to be made depending on what you do.
can you elaborate?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
can you elaborate?
Our business is wine and spirits. Usually there are jobs ranging from swamper(broom pusher) to executive. You can work in the office, warehouse or on the field. Southerwine.com will give you ideas of what positions are open and if there is an office near you. I have been with them for 7 years now.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DblCab View Post
I mentioned LP in the post above yours, lol. I worked as a LP Supervisor for 3 years before law enforcement. LPjobs is a good source, but alot of companies don't use it. I have attended 40 hrs of Interview/Interrogation training, which I'm sure you know is useful in that field. Nothing ever pops up at the district level around here, and I'm done with wrestling people at the store level. I just missed out on a district investigator job for a major pharmacy retailer that would have supervised 30 locations. I thought the interview went well.
Yep, I am familiar. I've been through Wicklander-Zulawski training . Even though I'm on the analytics side, I've done my share of investigations myself and interviewed a few folks. Sucks to hear there's not a lot there.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
consider relocating?

noticed you mentioned you are from the south, where salaries tend to be lower. i am a correctional officer up north (illinois) and have a base pay of nearly $60k w/many officers making over $100K with overtime (which i personally dislike). many fellow CO's have worked here, then retired down south where property and general living expenses tend to be lower. also, the health-care field is always booming, with male-nurses able to write their own ticket, and minimal initial schooling necessary. just a thought, and good luck.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
This won't be a popular option at all but....

Being a garbage man pays pretty damned good if you get into the commercial end and don't mind getting up at 2 or 3 am everyday. I was making mid-$50's when I quit to go back to the dealership. All you need is a class B CDL to get started. It costs about $250 to rent a truck for testing.

Although it's not completely recession proof because people still have to be able to pay their garbage bills, it's pretty damn close.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
get into aviation manufacturing, You prob start around 40 and can earn close to 70. And if you decide to get an A and P license there are opportunities to make 100+