1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

General Education careers above $40k

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by 12DblCab, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Jul 31, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    12DblCab

12DblCab [OP] I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    Can you guys recommend some careers that pay around $40k and up that you can have with any degree? I'm looking for something where I work primarily indoors, but I wouldn't be sitting at a computer screen 40 hrs a week (a few hours per day works though). I like meeting people and interacting with them in person. I thought "Insurance Adjuster" would be ok, but then I read where you have to work in a call center for a few years first. I've gotten pretty close to a few Corporate Security positions, and just missed a $70k position to an attractive female. I don't blame them. :D

I enjoy law enforcement, but I'm getting tired of sitting in a car 40 hours a week, wearing a vest and gun belt when it's 90+ degrees, and working every weekend. I feel like it's taking a toll on my health. I have a Bachelor's degree.

What are some cool careers I can research?

2. Jul 31, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    What is your BS for?

3. Jul 31, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Man, it's tough out there... especially if you don't have a clear idea of what you want to do. Have you thought about starting your own business? Also, regardless of what your degree is, remember that a degree is only 1 facet of it; go do what you want and don't let your education dictate what that is. :)

Me, I make $60K+ with a HS Diploma and an honorable discharge :D

4. Jul 31, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Sell insurance?

5. Jul 31, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    please tell me what you do. Im just over 40k a year with a HS diploma and a honorable discharge.

I currently work on an air force base as a civilian contractor.

6. Jul 31, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    I'm a field service Engineer. I was a SATCOM guy in the Army, and after discharge started fixing copiers. Then moved up to 5-axis robotic pill-counters (pharmacy automation), and now work in the Rapid Prototyping industry. We service machines that can print 3D moving assemblies, which is pretty cool :)

Like I said, don't let your degree limit you when it comes time for a re-evaluation. You can do whatever you want. Hell, I am to the point where I'm ready to take HVAC courses at night, and start my own Heating & Cooling business. Me and a van full of tools/parts, make my own hours, maybe grow it for 10 years and sell it... who knows??

7. Jul 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    12DblCab

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    Criminal Justice. I think it was a worthless major since I learned more in the police academy than I did in CJUS classes.

I would enjoy just about any career that involves interacting with people on a regular basis. I'm still looking for private sector law enforcement jobs (district loss prevention, corporate security, etc), but I might go a completely different route if I don't find something by the end of the year. I just want to do some research.

I found another job where you show people around a retirement community (this place is a huge resort), and you try to sell them on putting their family there. I thought that was interesting since I'd be on my feet and meet people, and I wouldn't have to take care of the seniors. :D

8. Jul 31, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Have you looked into an LP (Loss Prevention/Asset Protection) Job?

I'm in Corporate Security/LP for a very large cell phone provider. Check out LP Jobs.com and see what you can find. LP is a natural transition for a lot of LEO people looking to get into the "corporate" world.

9. Jul 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    I honestly don't know anything about it but I have a friend who got a degree in english and is now actually a successful realtor.. I don't know the exact requirements but I don't think they are extensive. Just a thought.

10. Jul 31, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    Bender581

Bender581 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    Have you thought about teaching at a police academy. With a BS and your work experence you have what academies and junior colleges are looking for. Also, some public schools are looking for resource officers.

11. Jul 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Best of luck to you, as for your degree I am not sure how much it matters what degree you have per say but that you have one. ( obviously not always true) I have my degree in comunications and I work for a energy company. My degree just showed I am trainable.

12. Jul 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:

Exactly.

13. Jul 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    12DblCab

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    I mentioned LP in the post above yours, lol. I worked as a LP Supervisor for 3 years before law enforcement. LPjobs is a good source, but alot of companies don't use it. I have attended 40 hrs of Interview/Interrogation training, which I'm sure you know is useful in that field. Nothing ever pops up at the district level around here, and I'm done with wrestling people at the store level. I just missed out on a district investigator job for a major pharmacy retailer that would have supervised 30 locations. I thought the interview went well.

14. Jul 31, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    can you elaborate?

15. Aug 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Yep, I am familiar. I've been through Wicklander-Zulawski training . Even though I'm on the analytics side, I've done my share of investigations myself and interviewed a few folks. Sucks to hear there's not a lot there.

16. Aug 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    noticed you mentioned you are from the south, where salaries tend to be lower. i am a correctional officer up north (illinois) and have a base pay of nearly $60k w/many officers making over $100K with overtime (which i personally dislike). many fellow CO's have worked here, then retired down south where property and general living expenses tend to be lower. also, the health-care field is always booming, with male-nurses able to write their own ticket, and minimal initial schooling necessary. just a thought, and good luck.

17. Aug 1, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    This won't be a popular option at all but....

Being a garbage man pays pretty damned good if you get into the commercial end and don't mind getting up at 2 or 3 am everyday. I was making mid-$50's when I quit to go back to the dealership. All you need is a class B CDL to get started. It costs about $250 to rent a truck for testing.

Although it's not completely recession proof because people still have to be able to pay their garbage bills, it's pretty damn close.

18. Aug 1, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    get into aviation manufacturing, You prob start around 40 and can earn close to 70. And if you decide to get an A and P license there are opportunities to make 100+

19. Aug 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I looked them up and I didnt see any around my parts. Thanks though :)

To Top