LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Suit+ties combos

Old 09-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Suit+ties combos

I need help with suit and tie combos for a professional look ie: interviews and stuff I have a black pinstripe suit and a plain black suit and was wondering about shirt/tie combos
I have one place i went with the plain black suit, white shirt and if i remember right a bluish tie, I have to go back and am thinking bout a pinstripe suit, light purple shirt with a silvery purple tie. do these sound good? and what are some more shirt tie suit combos?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Rule of thumb: Lighter the shirt, the darker the tie. Darker the shirt, lighter the tie.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What industry? If it's a power-type position, go red. Red is more of a power color. The purples sound ok, personally, I'm not a purple fan although I've seen it done well. If you have a picture of your suit, it'd really help.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I never thought about it..My last job I got hired in jeans, a dickies hoodie and DC shoes. Never had luck "dressing up" for a job. One time I did, they denied me because of a seatbelt ticket.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What industry? If it's a power-type position, go red. Red is more of a power color. The purples sound ok, personally, I'm not a purple fan although I've seen it done well. If you have a picture of your suit, it'd really help.
x2. Put it on and take a picture.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
In my experience, the most classic and professional looking shirt is a white or blue. Agree on the darker/lighter rule. I think for an interview, you don't want to draw too much attention to your attempt to be fashionable (ie fancy colors and patterns). With a black suit, one of my favorite combos is a nice blue shirt with a tie that has blue/black/silver in it.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Avoid the pastel colored shirts for interviews.
A light blue is okay, but save the reds, greens, and purples for after you have the job.
White with pastel pinstripes is okay if you want a bit of a color splash on your shirt, but it depends on the level to which you are applying. What will fly for an entry level position won't for a higher level.

A black suit is sometimes considered too formal, pinstripe is okay, but if you only own one suit, dark gray is best, navy blue is good 2nd choice. Save the black for weddings and funerals.

On the jacket... Always buttoned when standing, and despite what you see on the TV news, unbuttoned when seated. Practice smoothly buttoning and unbuttoning your jacket when sitting and standing, as well as giving your pant legs a quick "hitch" when sitting to prevent them from being pulled down... when bending your legs, just as you feel tension on your knees, a quick "pop" will break the friction.

Like the shirt, the tie should be subdued. Save the "power tie" for your "don't fuck with me" days. Solid color, accent stripes, subdued paisley, or even small polka-dots are fine.

Tie width... not too narrow or wide. The widest point of the tie should match the widest point on the jacket's lapel.

Learn the following knots:
Windsor
Half Windsor
Four in Hand

That progresses from largest to smallest, with the 4 in hand being the least formal. Personally, I always tie the full Windsor unless the tie material is heavy, then a half gives me the knot size I like.

Don't overdress, but don't underdress either. Scout the building and see what the male employees are wearing. Your goal for the interview is to shoot for an appearance that would be appropriate for your prospective boss, or his immediate supervisor. You don't want to apply for a position in the mail room dressed like Donald Trump, but you also don't want to dress like Mark Cuban. He can pull it off because he IS Mark Cuban... we aren't.

It's a balancing act. You want to stand out in the manager's mind, but you don't want to stand out by appearing to be a maverick who is going to want to reshape the company... but you also don't want to appear to be the slug who doesn't want to see change.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
In my experience, the most classic and professional looking shirt is a white or blue. Agree on the darker/lighter rule. I think for an interview, you don't want to draw too much attention to your attempt to be fashionable (ie fancy colors and patterns). With a black suit, one of my favorite combos is a nice blue shirt with a tie that has blue/black/silver in it.
Bingo...

My daughter's wedding....

Old 09-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Its an entry level fire fighter position so a white shirt with the pinstripes suit and a blue silver black tie would be good?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
Its an entry level fire fighter position so a white shirt with the pinstripes suit and a blue silver black tie would be good?
Absolutely.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
slingshot5r is on a distinguished road

Army:
slingshot5r's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/200...deshow#slide=1
Old 09-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
I'm never a fan of a black tie with white shirt, save it for the weddings. Always have some color.

As someone said, a gray/charcoal suit is always good, right in the middle. I wouldn't over think it. They'll see you overall (suit, tie, posture, hair, hand shake, shoes, watch, facial movements etc) and they will have an instant impression.. Then they will spend the rest of the time making an opinion on how you speak, act, perform in your interview.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
When you want to look professional always go with a classic white or blue dress shirt, your are going for a job, not going to a Saturday night wedding. Additionally if you need a professional suit for future occasions (which you probably won't, I have several friends who are firefighters and they don't have much need for suits) pick up a charcoal grey or blue suit, black is more for formal occasions, weddings, and funerals. Also, as odd as it may seem it is harder to match a classic business/professional tie/shirt with a black suit.

I work in a professional environment and my go to suits are grey, blue, and blue with a pinstripe. I almost always wear a white shirt with a rather plain tie, if I dont go white shirt I go with a classic light blue. To be honest when I meet with clients and a colleague has a pink/purple/bright blue shirt on it just doesnt look right.

Additionally fit is the most important thing, I could have someone come in for a job interview in a $3000 suit, but if it doesn't fit right it doesn't matter how much it cost or where its from, its not going to look good.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I wear a suit every day. Usually do a white, light pink, like blue, light yellow w/stripes, light purple, etc. Usually wear black or grey pants/jacket. Ties, usually go for a solid or slight design.

I also have a black shirt, but it comes across as less professional, so I don't suggest you wear that. I also wear a tie clip every day.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
Never take the bait

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
I wear a suit every day. Usually do a white, light pink, like blue, light yellow w/stripes, light purple, etc. Usually wear black or grey pants/jacket. Ties, usually go for a solid or slight design.

I also have a black shirt, but it comes across as less professional, so I don't suggest you wear that. I also wear a tie clip every day.
Black shirts are for funerals, prom.. And sexy handsome men who wear them with no jacket.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Black shirts are for funerals, prom.. And sexy handsome men who wear them with no jacket.
That's why I have it.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Additionally fit is the most important thing, I could have someone come in for a job interview in a $3000 suit, but if it doesn't fit right it doesn't matter how much it cost or where its from, its not going to look good.
+10,000!

A $75 suit from the JCP Outlet and $150 worth of tailoring will have you looking better than a $600 suit that you just have the legs hemmed.

My picture above is a $75 suit, spent about $80 on tailoring.
Wore it to the wedding and the series of 3 interviews that landed my new job.