Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

To those with an MBA, have a question...

Old 09-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
To those with an MBA, have a question...

To those of you that have an MBA, and weren't business majors, did you take business classes during undergrad? I am mechanical engineering undergrad but am pretty certain I would like get an MBA before I stop with school.

I am going to have a couple of semesters in which I will only have 6 or 7 hours of classes and figured I might as well pick up a few extra classes. So heres what I was thinking, I could take a principles of accounting class and maybe which ever econ class I haven't taken or take a couple of Spanish classes. I had Spanish in high school but it was a joke and I really don't remember much other than how to order a beer. To those who have an MBA or working towards it, What do you think of my choices? Or would you go another route and take different classes?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
I was an Accounting Major in both undergrad and grad school (M.Acc.) But I saw this first hand with both classmates and friends.

You need to talk to an academic advisor @ the MBA program that you wish to apply to, as they all have different requirements.

The one thing that is a constant is the GMAT. The higher your score, the easier your life will be.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Quite a number of Engineers return to school to acquire an MBA, usually the schools look for people with prior working experience (2-3yrs min) before looking at them especially when the undergrad degree is of a different nature.

I'd recommend graduating & working as an Engineer for a few years then re-applying for school. This will also help you once you graduate with an MBA at acquiring a solid job.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
I had planned on working for a while. I didn't mean going straight through. Just have 2 and a half years or so left in undergrad and trying to plan schedules out for the next couple of semesters.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
, usually the schools look for people with prior working experience (2-3yrs min) before looking at them especially when the undergrad degree is of a different nature.
Not true, or maybe that's the way it works in Canada. Here in the States, there are several factors, and work experience is nothing but a piece of the puzzle.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
It will definitely be beneficial to have prior working experience but certainly not required I know a few people who went straight through. Some programs are more tailored towards the working professional though. Plus if you do your masters while working your employer will usually pay for some.

I eventually want to get my MBA. My undergrad was in accounting although I'm currently in marketing at my company.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Not true, or maybe that's the way it works in Canada. Here in the States, there are several factors, and work experience is nothing but a piece of the puzzle.
I understand that it's a piece and it's much bigger piece then most people realize.

Not entirely (has nothing to do with US vs Canada) I know of quite a number of executives when they go to hire MBA grads for positions they are much more likely to take the one with previous work experience they don't want the hot shot who's been in school for the last 6-7 yrs and thinks they know business from books.

There's no wrong way to go about it but there are ways that are much more beneficial on all fronts in the long run.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I do not have my MBA but I know people who pretty recently achieved one . I think other then for ones self goal it's not worth it in today's times . The MBA is just not what it used to be .
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quite a number of Engineers return to school to acquire an MBA, usually the schools look for people with prior working experience (2-3yrs min) before looking at them especially when the undergrad degree is of a different nature.

I'd recommend graduating & working as an Engineer for a few years then re-applying for school. This will also help you once you graduate with an MBA at acquiring a solid job.
I have been giving thought to this as of late. Engineering work just doesnt seem to be doing it for me anymore and I wanna mix things up a bit.

Got my BSE from Purdue in 2004 and have been working at the same company for almost eight years now.

Now I am more worried about transitioning back to school...dont wanna be "that" old guy in class...
Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I do not have my MBA but I know people who pretty recently achieved one . I think other then for ones self goal it's not worth it in today's times . The MBA is just not what it used to be .
I think it really depends on where you want to go with your career and what the company is looking for. In some ways it may not be as important but I've interviewed for positions where they were really looking for that at my company they certainly look for that for a lot of positions and its often easier to climb the ladder with those 3 letters. Ultimately if you're that good of an employee and very motivated it may not matter, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I have noticed here at least that the younger people with MBAs seem to have the same level jobs as older people without.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
Max's Canadian Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
I have been giving thought to this as of late. Engineering work just doesnt seem to be doing it for me anymore and I wanna mix things up a bit.

Got my BSE from Purdue in 2004 and have been working at the same company for almost eight years now.

Now I am more worried about transitioning back to school...dont wanna be "that" old guy in class...
Are you still doing design/development or are you now doing project management?

There's lots of "old guys" in school now a days, most schools have a MBA for the working professional, making the transition easier.

Most companies if you inform them of your plans will have a position for you when you return, especially since you've been there a while, as you would have insight that other executives don't into that side of the business.

On a side note, a BSE w/ MBA is more valuable and more likely to get hired over a person with a BAdmin (or similar) w/ a MBA. Just something to ponder.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
Quote:
I understand that it's a piece and it's much bigger piece then most people realize.

Not entirely (has nothing to do with US vs Canada) I know of quite a number of executives when they go to hire MBA grads for positions they are much more likely to take the one with previous work experience they don't want the hot shot who's been in school for the last 6-7 yrs and thinks they know business from books.

There's no wrong way to go about it but there are ways that are much more beneficial on all fronts in the long run.
That's hiring AFTER you earned the degree, NOT getting into the program, as the OP asked. I'll agree that getting hired after earning an MBA with work experience will make you more valuable and hireable. But that is not what the OP asked about.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
Quote:

I can almost agree with this. Almost. In todays economy, the ROI on a grad degree is not beneficial at all to the person earning it. Most companies are just not paying the MBA/Masters premiums they were paying before.

But for someone W/O a business background, it may ease their way out of the technical side of an organization.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
Quote:
On a side note, a BSE w/ MBA is more valuable and more likely to get hired over a person with a BAdmin (or similar) w/ a MBA. Just something to ponder.

150% agreed, and we bean counters hate you for it...

JK, I personally understand. Peeps with engineering backgrounds are used to working/thinking much harder than must anyone with a business education.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I disagree with some of your post. It is proven that a newly graduated MBA gets you a higher salary them a bachelors degree, and for later on in life depending on your career goals a MBA might be, actually more likely critical in obtaining the big C titles. I guess it is all in what you strive for, but saying it is not what it used to be is painting a wide stroke.

OP my advise if you are interested in obtaining an MBA that some business classes such as Econ are crucial. As an engineer supply chain and logistics is an excellent career path and would fit well with an engineering/MBA degrees. Logistic engineers get paid big bucks by 3pl's and consulting companies. I know because I just hired one.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #16
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I also see you are in TN, you don't go to school at UT do you? They have probably the best Logistics School in the country, them and Arkansas.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I can tell you that my brother in law achieved his MBA and then went unemployed for 14 months . He was picky though . He recently picked up a great job earning 100k even though it doesn't require much of his MBA degree . He works now for a company that produces the predator drone . I also know a couple people having to dumb themselves down in order to get a job recently .
Old 09-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
Kenny Fuckin Powers

Your brother being a sample size of 1 isn't really a basis to discredit having an MBA. Still going to be better off with than without most of the time. Not every job market/industry/company is in the shitter.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Wasn't trying to discredit it . Atleast a whole lot . It's education which nobody can take from you .
Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #20
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have an MBA but know several that do. I would def take any business related classes if that's what your interested in. If only to see if that's the direction you want to go. I knew a few guys that got theirs and were really not happy with the careers they got into and like what was said before. The ROI was not worth it. Maybe if you go to a top notch school it is. I've considered doing it, but my wife has an advanced degree our grandkids will be paying for and I dont really want to add more to the pile.