Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Business major?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
I took Business Admin.. I cant say it helped at all with what Im doing now aside from getting my foot in the door.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
look into Ag Business too. Tons of job openings in that field right now. Im in Ag Business and there are lots of good paying companies just itching to hire grads out of my college.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
abunch is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
abunch's Tacoma Gallery
I majored in business and economics b/c i did not know what I wanted to do. Fast forward 7 years and I finally found what I loved to do. I then took my business knowledge from college and applied it to creating a successful business around what it is that I love.

It is a very versatile degree.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #25
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
look into Ag Business too. Tons of job openings in that field right now. Im in Ag Business and there are lots of good paying companies just itching to hire grads out of my college.
Ag business? What's that? The college I want to go to doesn't have that I don't think.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #26
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunch View Post
I majored in business and economics b/c i did not know what I wanted to do. Fast forward 7 years and I finally found what I loved to do. I then took my business knowledge from college and applied it to creating a successful business around what it is that I love.

It is a very versatile degree.
This is what I plan to do. Get a business degree or something that has to do with business then have my own business down the road. I originally didn't know what I wanted to do either. haha
Old 10-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
Ag business? What's that? The college I want to go to doesn't have that I don't think.
it's just what it sounds like, a business degree focused on the agriculture industry. specifically, my major is Agricultural Business Management. they will probably offer it as a major at the land grant universities in whatever state(s) you're willing to go to school at.

it's basically a business degree with less bullshit. focused more on smaller types of business opposed to ones where you sit in a high rise and send emails all day wearing a tie. lots of my friends that have graduated are extension agents, employed by big chemical companies like BASF or Dow Agriscience, farmers, or one of a million other jobs. im not trying to sound like some backwoodsy farmer boy, but just remember - the population is growing which means more people are eating and wearing clothes. that all starts with agriculture. the business is booming too.

and the most important thing i can tell you is not to consult a bunch of internet strangers on it. sit down with your guidance counselor, teachers, and "grown ups" who have jobs you have an interest in. and go from there.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #28
abunch is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
abunch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
This is what I plan to do. Get a business degree or something that has to do with business then have my own business down the road. I originally didn't know what I wanted to do either. haha
it is so much better to work for yourself. I was making a good salary working for someone else, but owning a company opens up so many doors.

I make 10x what i use to three years ago. My wife does not have work. We took a month of this year to do an expo trip across the country. Got my self a tacoma and so much more.

The key is to go work for someone in the same industry that you want to start a business in. You get to know all the players and make mistakes on someone else's dime. Then, when you feel comfortable enough and have some capital go out and start and a company.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #29
The Blue Warrior

Thanks! And I'll see if the college I want to go to has it. I'll look into it. I'm pretty much definitely going there so hopefully they do.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #30
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunch View Post
it is so much better to work for yourself. I was making a good salary working for someone else, but owning a company opens up so many doors.

I make 10x what i use to three years ago. My wife does not have work. We took a month of this year to do an expo trip across the country. Got my self a tacoma and so much more.

The key is to go work for someone in the same industry that you want to start a business in. You get to know all the players and make mistakes on someone else's dime. Then, when you feel comfortable enough and have some capital go out and start and a company.
Sounds awesome! Good idea
Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #31
iz in ur accountz payin ur billz
Beeyelluh is on a distinguished road

Name: Keith
Beeyelluh's Tacoma Gallery
If you are at all business and entrepreneurially minded, I'd go for Business and specialize in what you enjoy most (you'll have a year or so to decide). I started in Architecture and then went the Business Management route after realizing arch wasn't for me. Really enjoyed the strategic management focused classes and projects, but still did well at the other functions (marketing, accounting, finance, etc).

Got a sales assistant job lined up before graduation and was a GM within the first year for a 1mil/yr business. I recently switched to accounting and finance for a 30mil/yr company and hit the ground running, which is to show you how versatile a business degree is!!

Start taking the general business classes your school offers and really focus on the projects they throw at you. You'll find out soon which function you have a natural bend towards and keep exploring it. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #32
PsychoJr is on a distinguished road

PsychoJr's Tacoma Gallery
I have a degree in economics and an MBA. Had my own business for 25 years, but sold it 2 years ago.