Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Business major?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Business major?

I'm planning on majoring in business. Just wondering if there are any fellow members on here that have majored in this. (Which I'm sure there are.) I had a few questions. Does going into business help in the long run? Is it an easy major? And for just wondering, do you have a successful business today?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I majored in Finance in the Business school. It is much better to have a focus such as Finance, Accounting, Economics, or Operatons Management than just straight Business.

When an employer sees "Business" as a major on a resume, they'll think you spent 4 years practicing middle school math and developing poor grammar for useless email writing.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
I majored in Finance in the Business school. It is much better to have a focus such as Finance, Accounting, Economics, or Operatons Management than just straight Business.

When an employer sees "Business" as a major on a resume, they'll think you spent 4 years practicing middle school math and developing poor grammar for useless email writing.
True.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I majored in Finance in the Business school. It is much better to have a focus such as Finance, Accounting, Economics, or Operations Management than just straight Business.

Perfect answer, thread/
Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Depends what you actually want to do. Being a business major doesn't specifically mean someone wants to start their own business, although obviously it doesn't hurt if that's the path you want to take in the future.

Like blackhawke said you'd want to take an actual concentration in something. I have a business degree in accounting. I worked as a staff accountant for a couple of companies before moving into marketing at the company I'm currently at.

What do you actually want to do?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
Depends what you actually want to do. Being a business major doesn't specifically mean someone wants to start their own business, although obviously it doesn't hurt if that's the path you want to take in the future.

Like blackhawke said you'd want to take an actual concentration in something. I have a business degree in accounting. I worked as a staff accountant for a couple of companies before moving into marketing at the company I'm currently at.

What do you actually want to do?
Well honestly, I don't really know. All I know is that I would like to have some kind of business on the side. I want it to be my main source of income or a really good job plus a business. Like an online business or something if I have to have a job too. Which I probably will.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
Well honestly, I don't really know. All I know is that I would like to have some kind of business on the side. I want it to be my main source of income or a really good job plus a business. Like an online business or something if I have to have a job too. Which I probably will.
you should take one of each of the below classes during your first year of college:
1) Accounting
2) Finance
3) Econ
4) Marketing
5) Operations Management

After your first year, you will discover which of these fields you are strong at or even like, and which you failed miserably at or hated. Then decide on which you'd like to concentrate on by thinking how you can make a career out of it.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Matrix
12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Space Command
Name: Steve
12Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you want to do. If you have a technical degree and a business degree that is good leverage in the market place.

Good luck.

12Tac

Quote:
I'm planning on majoring in business. Just wondering if there are any fellow members on here that have majored in this. (Which I'm sure there are.) I had a few questions. Does going into business help in the long run? Is it an easy major? And for just wondering, do you have a successful business today?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Start in general business and then plan on switching into something specific. You'll want something a bit more specific than just biz unless you plan on doing grad school with something specific.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Start in general business and then plan on switching into something specific. You'll want something a bit more specific than just biz unless you plan on doing grad school with something specific.
Yeah. I plan on going into regular business then just see where I want to go after that. Not grad school, but a specific route.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
MikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Mike
MikeMH's Tacoma Gallery
There is good advice in this thread. I have a business admin degree with a concentration in operations and supply chain management. I like having the focus in a certain area but also having business acumen, like being able to read financial statements, etc.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah. I plan on going into regular business then just see where I want to go after that. Not grad school, but a specific route.
Yeah honestly, if you want it be something you'll be able to use in the future, that's the way to do it. Get something specific within the biz school.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Yeah honestly, if you want it be something you'll be able to use in the future, that's the way to do it. Get something specific within the biz school.
That'll do
Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

x2

I got a business degree, and it wasn't good for much. Went back to school a couple years later for something more focused, and with actual skills associated with it.

Honestly, there are only so many times (once) it's helpful to hear about the levels of self-actualization and Maslow's hierarchy. And yet I think it was mentioned in every management class I took. I felt like I was spinning my wheels, the classes didn't seem to progress much. If I was in charge of hiring I would remember that and hire someone with a specialization.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #16
TacomaIan is on a distinguished road
TacomaIan's Tacoma Gallery
I have a BA in entrepreneurship and im in my last year of my BBA degree in management/marketing (sales) minor. You learn a lot each year and would not say its easy. If it is your in the wrong thing.

I've had many good internships (Ford Mo. Co. And tech firms). It will help you make more money faster having a Bcomm or BBA.

Take one of the following majors if you're not sure
strategic management
Entrepreneurship
Or if you want a garenteed job and are good at math/memorization
Accounting
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
The Blue Warrior

I want to open my own small business and I'm stuck between marketing or managing. Probably marketing
Old 10-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
TacomaIan is on a distinguished road
TacomaIan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I want to open my own small business and I'm stuck between marketing or managing. Probably marketing
That's exactly what I thought I wanted to do as well! Till I fell in love with working in professional sales. Entrepreneurship courses were awesome. To start a business id say it'd be best to have a few marketing courses, management and a hint of HR. just to recruit and hold onto workers