Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Engineers: How long after graduation to find a job?

View Poll Results: How long did it take to find an engineering job after graduating??
Had a job lined up before graduating 22 70.97%
1 month 1 3.23%
2 months 1 3.23%
3 months 0 0%
4 months 2 6.45%
5 months 0 0%
6+ months 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #21
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
If interested in the oil fields etc you can try searching the local Bakersfield paper jobs section on line. http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.com/ Lots of local companies involved. Also there are a number of water agencies in the valley due to the ag business, I not sure what kind of staffing they have, a Google search would find them.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #22
Rashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rashnu's Tacoma Gallery
If you can find any job fairs, start going to those. While the market still isn't the greatest, it is getting better! Also, if you can't find a job in your field try looking into county jobs with the Agricultural Commissioners office. They tend to favor those who have a background in Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and Physical Science.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #23
jlleiber has a spectacular aura aboutjlleiber has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGT View Post
Bishop, I'm not an engineer, but I do work with them (as a CAD Drafter), but I've worked with enough and have met enough engineering students (attempted a Civil degree, failed at Calc 4) to know that an internship in the environment you would like to work in is the best place to start. Knowing that you're graduating this coming spring, however, puts you at least a year behind most in terms of finding a good internship, at least if I put you in comparison to the intern my work brought in over the summer.

My suggestion would be to check around the local city/county/state websites to see if anyone is offering an internship, and if not, go in and offer yourself for free. It might be a tough swallow to take a job right now without pay, but sometimes getting your foot in the door is the hardest part. If you work at it as if it's a real (paying) job, you could very likely get offered a job. I only suggest looking at the public sector jobs first because, at least as a drafter, it's been the best paying job I've ever had, with benefits that are far better than the private sector. Maybe because my job puts me in a union, but right now, I've got absolutely no complaints.

Outside of the public sector, the same rules apply... check websites for job postings, internship or not, and some good old cold calling can yeld you some good results. I would suggest though that you actually go into the engineering office and offer up a resume, rather than calling and asking. Find 5 or 6 offices in a specific area, get dressed up like you would for an interview, and go out and offer your cover letter, resume & references.

If it's a small company (25 or fewer employees), go in and ask if you can talk to the owner or one of the engineers... don't settle for the office manager/receptionist if you can (they just tell you not hiring and will file your resume in a folder that hardly ever gets opened).

If you have a specific company that you think you'd like to work for, call them up and ask for an informational interview with one of the engineering, preferrably one in the area that you would like to be in (don't schedule an II with a structural engineer if you want to get into that company's civil side). Ask them about their company, their job outlook, and ask the engineer if he has any non co-worker colleagues that might be hiring or that work in a similar company.

Craigslist, job fairs, and the good old fashioned newspaper are also good links. I've gotten a job from each of them.

Do you participate in some sort of an organized team sport? I got a job through a soccer teammate's wife who worked in an engineering firm's marketing department. That job didn't last very long unfortunately, but I ended up making a contact at the city's engineering department that ended up fleshing out a future job that I found.

Finding a job is all about getting yourself out there. It's not a great time to be looking for a job in the Engineering field (at least not where I'm at)... There's more people looking for them than there are spots to fill, and those spots are not going to come looking for you.

Best of luck to ya though
^^ x 1000. I graduated as a Structural Engineer and had my job lined up before I graduated. Turned out a classmate's company was hiring and I was literally the only one interviewed for the job, based on his recommendation. Even at my current job, my boss occasionally asks if I know of anyone that may be seeking a job. Connections are insanely valuable, so ask your friends/classmates for any leads.

Also, I feel that locating a few companies you are interested in and speaking to them directly is important. Or even mailing a paper resume (directly to someone of status there - no office Manager) sets you apart. Cold emailing companies is tough because they get so many. I graduated with 3.5 gpa and a masters, 2.5 years of actual work experience, and heard back from emailed resumes about 10% of the time. None of which led to an interview or anything.

Job search sites are good for locating openings, but do your best to apply in person and not to the inbox that receives 1000 electronic resumes. You really have to be a go-getter about it.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #24
Don't buy a Ford
bishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B
bishtacova's Tacoma Gallery
I would echo other networking comments. Did you post a profile on linkedin? Did you post a resume/profile on indeed.com? Networking is vital to career health, similar to cardio exercise.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #25
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Echo PSU Taco85. I started looking near the beginning of my 4th year of mechanical engineering. Had three offers lined up before graduation. Of course, that was years before the economy tanked.

GPA doesn't matter much unless you apply at a consulting firm. Past work experience and research projects matter much more. I even brought a portfolio of past design work and an exotic machined part to the interviews.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #26
Shaowei is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Shaowei's Tacoma Gallery
I had a job lined up when I graduated with a grad degree in ME. I had a couple of internships and decent GPA. My $0.02 would include:
  • Applying to as many jobs as possible, even if, on the surface, it doesn't look like exactly what you want to do.
  • Don't be too narrow with your job expectations. BE FLEXIBLE!
  • Be willing to relocate.
  • Have a professional review your resume and cover letter. My career center had someone to do this and it made the difference.
Good luck out there! Just keep at it!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #27
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
I graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering and had a job lined up before graduation. I work in the oil industry specifically in subsea production system.. I can tell you, business is booming.. Engineering = job security IMO, we will always be in demand
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #28
jlleiber has a spectacular aura aboutjlleiber has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plik View Post
I graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering and had a job lined up before graduation. I work in the oil industry specifically in subsea production system.. I can tell you, business is booming.. Engineering = job security IMO, we will always be in demand
This is what makes me the happiest about being an engineer. Granted, other professions start at a high pay-scale, but the job security is what sets that off for me. I work in residential/commercial building design and last year was our best year ever, this year shaping up the same. I feel good about the direction we are going. People are at least spending money again
Old 12-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
WAGONWHEEL is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: AMTC Retired
WAGONWHEEL's Tacoma Gallery
Create a good resume and start putting it out there. I had a job lined up as soon as I graduated, I starting applying before my last semester started. I am an ME. There are plenty of engineering jobs out there, set yourself a goal of applying to at least three companies per week until you land a job. Be willing to relocate and/or work outside the ChemE field. Take a look at Textron, General Dynamics, Boeing, Sikorsky, or other aviation industries. I work with plenty of engineers who work outside their discipline. Good luck.