1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engineers: How long after graduation to find a job?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Bishop2Queens6, Oct 23, 2012.

?

How long did it take to find an engineering job after graduating??

Poll closed Dec 7, 2012.
  1. Had a job lined up before graduating

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. 1 month

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. 2 months

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. 3 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 4 months

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. 5 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 6+ months

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Nov 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    If interested in the oil fields etc you can try searching the local Bakersfield paper jobs section on line. http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.com/ Lots of local companies involved. Also there are a number of water agencies in the valley due to the ag business, I not sure what kind of staffing they have, a Google search would find them.

2. Nov 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    Rashnu

Rashnu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 T4R TEP
    Stock
    If you can find any job fairs, start going to those. While the market still isn't the greatest, it is getting better! Also, if you can't find a job in your field try looking into county jobs with the Agricultural Commissioners office. They tend to favor those who have a background in Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and Physical Science.

3. Nov 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    jlleiber

jlleiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport DC 4x4
    ^^ x 1000. I graduated as a Structural Engineer and had my job lined up before I graduated. Turned out a classmate's company was hiring and I was literally the only one interviewed for the job, based on his recommendation. Even at my current job, my boss occasionally asks if I know of anyone that may be seeking a job. Connections are insanely valuable, so ask your friends/classmates for any leads.

Also, I feel that locating a few companies you are interested in and speaking to them directly is important. Or even mailing a paper resume (directly to someone of status there - no office Manager) sets you apart. Cold emailing companies is tough because they get so many. I graduated with 3.5 gpa and a masters, 2.5 years of actual work experience, and heard back from emailed resumes about 10% of the time. None of which led to an interview or anything.

Job search sites are good for locating openings, but do your best to apply in person and not to the inbox that receives 1000 electronic resumes. You really have to be a go-getter about it.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

4. Nov 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
    I would echo other networking comments. Did you post a profile on linkedin? Did you post a resume/profile on indeed.com? Networking is vital to career health, similar to cardio exercise.

5. Nov 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Echo PSU Taco85. I started looking near the beginning of my 4th year of mechanical engineering. Had three offers lined up before graduation. Of course, that was years before the economy tanked.

GPA doesn't matter much unless you apply at a consulting firm. Past work experience and research projects matter much more. I even brought a portfolio of past design work and an exotic machined part to the interviews.

6. Nov 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    Shaowei

Shaowei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 LB
    I had a job lined up when I graduated with a grad degree in ME. I had a couple of internships and decent GPA. My $0.02 would include:

• Applying to as many jobs as possible, even if, on the surface, it doesn't look like exactly what you want to do.
    • Don't be too narrow with your job expectations. BE FLEXIBLE!
    • Be willing to relocate.
    • Have a professional review your resume and cover letter. My career center had someone to do this and it made the difference.
    Good luck out there! Just keep at it!

7. Dec 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    Plik

Plik Ragin Cajun

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Click my sig pic for build thread
    I graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering and had a job lined up before graduation. I work in the oil industry specifically in subsea production system.. I can tell you, business is booming.. Engineering = job security IMO, we will always be in demand

8. Dec 7, 2012 at 5:15 AM
    jlleiber

jlleiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport DC 4x4
    This is what makes me the happiest about being an engineer. Granted, other professions start at a high pay-scale, but the job security is what sets that off for me. I work in residential/commercial building design and last year was our best year ever, this year shaping up the same. I feel good about the direction we are going. People are at least spending money again

9. Dec 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    WAGONWHEEL

WAGONWHEEL Active Member

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner, SR5
    None
    Create a good resume and start putting it out there. I had a job lined up as soon as I graduated, I starting applying before my last semester started. I am an ME. There are plenty of engineering jobs out there, set yourself a goal of applying to at least three companies per week until you land a job. Be willing to relocate and/or work outside the ChemE field. Take a look at Textron, General Dynamics, Boeing, Sikorsky, or other aviation industries. I work with plenty of engineers who work outside their discipline. Good luck.

To Top