Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

diesel or auto mechanic

Old 10-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
I've been pulling wrenches on commercial trucks for 10 years now, mostly dealership shops, but the last year and a half in a smaller fleet shop with roughly 40 units. Some days I still enjoy what I do, but more and more I wonder what I should do when I grow up.

Pay is alright, but working lots of saturdays is the norm since weekends are typically when the trucks are off duty, as well as some shift work in most places. Its hard on the body as mentioned, and a big investment in tools is necessary if your going to do it seriously.

Off road equipment techs do make a bit more, and typically easier to get monday -friday or a 4 on/4off type shift.

Certainly no shortage of work in either field around here, if you are good at what you do. Which brings me to my last point, don't enter the trade for money and glory. Enter it because you have some mechanical apptitude, want to learn more, and want to do that type of work. I've seen far too many green apprentices fail miserably because they were there for the wrong reasons, with no natural ability. Your uncles' or cousin's shops would be a great place to try it out before proceeding with school IMHO.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
gorillaford is on a distinguished road

gorillaford's Tacoma Gallery
Diesel engine tech is the way to go, get on with a distributoror dealer, work your butt off, prove yourself and it can take you anywhere. It hasfor me. I work in the field, could be working on logging equip one day and atug boat the next. Being in the field keeps it fun and new. My company has sentme to Alaska to work on engines, Montana, Utah, all over. Lots of fun and lotsof money if you’re good. Always put the customer first, be honest with thecustomer, and they will respect you and your work.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #23
TC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TC yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrysam View Post
20-30 years working on that concrete floor is going to take it's toll on just about every part of your body. Make sure you set yourself up so you're either retired, managing, on the service desk, shop foreman, mentor etc by that time.
I've only been at it for 10 years and my body already aches when it's cold out, can't wait to see how I feel in another 20 years
You definitely want to use this job to make as much money as you can while you're young, but make sure your off the floor when you get older
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=503TRD;5896088]haha yep it is...trying to fit the pump around the frame, then slide it into the bullgear while holding it...and so much stuff hanging around there...oh and standing between the tire and the frame..takes a damn contortionist lol[/QUOTe working on a 60 no fun i can do one in 2.5- 3 try a new dd 15 water pumps are cake
Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
Walker is on a distinguished road
Name: Walker
Walker's Tacoma Gallery
I chose auto because my grandpa was a field diesel mechanic and he worked tons of hours, there wasnt much more room to work on them, and all the parts were much heavier than car parts. But i work at a small farm/logging town auto shop and get to work everything from weedeaters to dumptrucks and variety keeps me excited every day i go to work.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #26
TC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TC yota's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=slo13zx3;6308940]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 503TRD View Post
haha yep it is...trying to fit the pump around the frame, then slide it into the bullgear while holding it...and so much stuff hanging around there...oh and standing between the tire and the frame..takes a damn contortionist lol[/QUOTe working on a 60 no fun i can do one in 2.5- 3 try a new dd 15 water pumps are cake
Try doing the air compressor on those, haha
Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #27
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
+1000 on all of the above.

Automotive and you're going to be fighting 300 other applicants for a job that might net you minimum wage doing piece-work getting paid "book rate" even if it takes an hour longer.
That's just the way it is until you get established and respected among the local shops/dealerships. A GOOD tech is worth his weight in gold, but that requires experience.

HD Diesel is going to be a quicker road to a solid position, but remain humble.
Nobody likes the "90 day wonder" who picked up his degree and went through a 3-month internship but never picked up a wrench.
No matter which side you go into, you'll have to earn the respect of your peers.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
+1000 on all of the above.

Automotive and you're going to be fighting 300 other applicants for a job that might net you minimum wage doing piece-work getting paid "book rate" even if it takes an hour longer.
probably THE biggest reason i decided against auto mechanic
That's just the way it is until you get established and respected among the local shops/dealerships. A GOOD tech is worth his weight in gold, but that requires experience.

HD Diesel is going to be a quicker road to a solid position, but remain humble.
Nobody likes the "90 day wonder" who picked up his degree and went through a 3-month internship but never picked up a wrench.
No matter which side you go into, you'll have to earn the respect of your peers.
thanks for the advice rich, it would be very hard for my to learn without doing the work.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #29
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=TC yota;6309107]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo13zx3 View Post

Try doing the air compressor on those, haha
Been there its a pita
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #30
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i've decided, neither.
we're moving to MISS. in about a year and a half, i can't find any courses for diesel or auto mechanic, but i did find a course to be a marine mechanic.

i'm gonna try to get my associates in MM, then hopefully a few years after that, go to MISS. state for the dep. of wildlife and fisheries course (4 year degree), so i can try to become a game warden.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #31
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Well I finally got moved to Ms, and after 3 weeks of applying I got a job as a tire/lube tech helper at the local ford dealership.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #32
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Right on, you'll learn a lot!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #33
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Not a bad way to start...I gave up full time wrenching 30 years ago when I got my first engineering degree:-)