Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Looking for insight - Gov Job

Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for insight - Gov Job

Hey guys, so I'm looking for some insight/opinions to try and help my wife and I make the best possible decision. Some background - So my wife is graduating in May with a bachelors in Business, I currently work for the state. I like my job and there is potential to move up and also there I have a pretty good retirement plan and benefits however its a 60 mile commute to and from. We both think that it would be more economical for us to both work for the state and within the same city. The conundrum we have is there may be an opportunity for her to get a job with the fed's, which is where her mother works. Now her mother is pushing really hard to work for the fed's because the pay is "so good" (her words), however the job is located 60 miles in the opposite direction to a city she hates driving to and she would have to work 8 additional years before retiring.

Im not to familiar with the fed's pay structure but what her mother says is that in an accelerated program she could go from a GS7 to a GS12 in as little as five years. Which on the one hand would be some awesome cash flow coming our way, but such a jump in pay seems almost unbelievable!? If its possible then it may be more beneficial to work for the fed's rather than the state but at the moment we are just up in the air about this. There are pros and cons to both. Any insight?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
do both for a while, get econo cars/public transport. stick it out 1 year then decide
many people have a worse commute
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a federal employee with the FDIC. We are not on the GS pay scale, but I started at a CG7 in June 2009 and will be a CG12 in 12 months, so a little less than 5 years. So yes, it's possible.

There are some good and bad things about the federal government. Pay, benefits, and schedule are great, but red tape and a lack of common sense can be very frustrating.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
do both for a while, get econo cars/public transport. stick it out 1 year then decide
+1

My commute is 45 miles each way in Los Angeles traffic.
60 miles in New Mexico is nothing
Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
+1

My commute is 45 miles each way in Los Angeles traffic.
60 miles in New Mexico is nothing
50 miles in south Florida. Each way.

I'll match you, if nothing else
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
It is difficult to look that far down the road, but bite the bullet and do what is best for your retirement. I would also suggest that you and your wife seek out a good financial planner. it will make things better in the long run.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Go Feds for now ... and GS 12 (Step 1) can come faster than 5 years. Plus most private companies can't beat the Feds for "bennies" i.e., retirement.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
One perk to us working in the same city is we could commute together which would mean extra money for mods!!! But we have been thinking of giving it a try and if she doesn't like or whatever she can look for a job near me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
It is difficult to look that far down the road, but bite the bullet and do what is best for your retirement.
Well if I stay with the state and she goes to the fed's Ill retire at least 7-8 years before her, which is giving us more to think about.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtaco View Post

Well if I stay with the state and she goes to the fed's Ill retire at least 7-8 years before her, which is giving us more to think about.

My wife (who worked for the state also) and I worked in different/seperate areas for several years after the kids left for college.....It's all about the retirement goal and what your future plans are.

And retiring 7 or 8 years befroe she does is not all bad..
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
As long as the position is under that accelerated system it can be nice. And depending on the position, they will have to meet the goals to make it to the next level. I don't know what position it is but they can also skip some grades. My wife went from a 7 to a 9 to an 11 to a 12, I started as an 11 then 12 then 13. If you don't make a grade increase, you should still get the step increase also.
Working for the feds I think gives me good job security and a pretty decent paycheck. I always hear that fed employees are overpaid and underworked, and while that may be true in some instances I work in a specialized field and if I were to go into private sector, I could probably double my income. But I have a family to think about and the benefits and job security are more important than the extra money when I laid the cards out on the table.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

As long as the position is under that accelerated system it can be nice. And depending on the position, they will have to meet the goals to make it to the next level. I don't know what position it is but they can also skip some grades. My wife went from a 7 to a 9 to an 11 to a 12, I started as an 11 then 12 then 13. If you don't make a grade increase, you should still get the step increase also.
Working for the feds I think gives me good job security and a pretty decent paycheck. I always hear that fed employees are overpaid and underworked, and while that may be true in some instances I work in a specialized field and if I were to go into private sector, I could probably double my income. But I have a family to think about and the benefits and job security are more important than the extra money when I laid the cards out on the table.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
Look away, I'm hideous!

aaaand then TW decides to make me do a double post.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
550kawirider is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryceson
550kawirider's Tacoma Gallery
I work the the National Park Service (Feds) in San Francisco and on a GS schedule. The pay rate is based on the locality and the cost of living of that particular position. Depending on the position it is very easy to jump grades based on work performance/experience/ect... I love the public sector! In addition to 10 paid holidays off with the leave accrued during the year I only work 186 out of 365 days a year....Cant beat that! It is VERY hard for civilians with no veterans preference to land federal positions. Once you are in the Fed system as a perm employee you are in for life and free to move and transfer into other departments very easily.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550kawirider View Post
I work the the National Park Service (Feds) in San Francisco and on a GS schedule. The pay rate is based on the locality and the cost of living of that particular position. Depending on the position it is very easy to jump grades based on work performance/experience/ect... I love the public sector! In addition to 10 paid holidays off with the leave accrued during the year I only work 186 out of 365 days a year....Cant beat that! It is VERY hard for civilians with no veterans preference to land federal positions. Once you are in the Fed system as a perm employee you are in for life and free to move and transfer into other departments very easily.
"Slacker." JK, The Federal Jobs are all good until they want to start cutting budgets and all. The Feds make the money but never seem to last that long. The money always seems to disappear. My wife is a Federal Employee and the Benifits are wonderful, but the commute as you the OP ponders sucks. She drives 45 miles on way. I think for a short term goal it will be be good to stay local, more money for mods,.. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
550kawirider is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryceson
550kawirider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazylegs View Post
"Slacker." JK, The Federal Jobs are all good until they want to start cutting budgets and all. The Feds make the money but never seem to last that long. The money always seems to disappear. My wife is a Federal Employee and the Benifits are wonderful, but the commute as you the OP ponders sucks. She drives 45 miles on way. I think for a short term goal it will be be good to stay local, more money for mods,.. Good luck and keep us posted.
I am the one in charge of the budget .... Now if you excuse me, I have a 3 day weekend to plan!

PS. GO 49'ers!