1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone a doctor?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by LBCJ44, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Jan 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    LBCJ44

LBCJ44 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4WD Double Cab
    6in. body lift, 3in. Pro Comp suspension lift 35 tires, Moto Metal Chrome Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit, Leather Seats, 10 Sub
    I'm currently a junior in high school. I play 3 sports and make straight A's. I'm looking to become a doctor, a physician. I know it's a lot of school, but I was wondering if anyone is a doctor. If so, is it unbelievably hard to become one? Just put all the negative things about becoming one and being one. Thanks for the info!!!

2. Jan 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    13tacotrd

13tacotrd Active Member

Member:
    Point Mugu Ca
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    5100's, Magnaflow, Weathertech's, Galaxy DX94HP, URD Short shifter
    might wanna try the land rover forum.....

3. Feb 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    baldeagle79

baldeagle79 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012, 4-cyl, 4x4

When you have a goal, especially a long-term goal like becoming a medical doctor, there will always be negatives, periods of doubt, naysayers, jealousy, and even downright ridicule. Ignore all of it. Do your thing.

Young people often wonder what career will bring the most money or bring the most prestige, but the real question should be whether the career brings you any sense of happiness. I am not a medical doctor, but my M.D. friends seem pretty content w/ their work. You will generally find work quickly in any town, get paid fairly well (unless you're out on your own having to pay your own malpractice insurance...but this is something you can remedy by working under a larger umbrella for a while), and enjoy tons of respect and admiration from the community.

You can specialize in almost any area you can imagine (just be a general practitioner if you prefer to make people feel better without watching patients die in front of you), go into surgery (various kinds) if you have the skills and want to be able to possibly save a life that would not be saved without your skill (and be prepared to have to give bad news to families when things don't go well), work in Psychiatry (if you want to help people with mental health issues), etc. <Note: some don't know the difference, but a Psychiatrist is an M.D....it's a specialty you go into after medical school, while a Psychologist is a PhD or PsyD...they talk about your issues with you as a therapist, but they do not prescribe medicine // both professions are valuable and in demand>

In America laws are changing that will affect the way we do healthcare (how health insurance works, how governments handle things, etc), but the one thing that is certain: there WILL be a shortage of doctors in the coming years and decades, especially those that specialize in the care of elderly patients. Just something to consider!

4. Feb 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    dammit, i was hoping for another i think i have tapeworms thread

5. Feb 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^ Note the section where this is posted:
    Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

6. Feb 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    If you don't mind examining people's mouths every day, look into dentistry. Pay is good and the schooling is shorter. You also get to play with power tools all the time. :D

7. Feb 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    i dont read too good :) haha seriously though see if you can shadow doctors at the local hospital if not see about doing an ems ride along or take an emt basic class to get a feel for it and make sure its something youd enjoy

8. Feb 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    dboz

dboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Access Literider Tonneau, GO RHINO Dominator II side steps
    It is doable but you have to be dedicated. I would not want to squash your dreams but Obamacare is going to greatly affect the health professions. Specialty care is where the money is at, but takes more schooling and money. Also, choose the field that matches your philosophy. Are you into drugs and surgery or are you into health and wellness. If it is the latter, you may want yo look into more holistic fields like Chiropractic.

I agree with dentistry, I would have gone into orthodontics if I could do it again. No competition and parents seem willing to pay whatever it takes. Few have insurance so you set your prices.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  9. Feb 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    I'm in the medical field, but not a doctor. I do consulting for doctors, hospitals, nursing facilities and business owners(rx and medical equipment).
    The major issues and concerns for private practitioners nowadays is the healthcare coverages and reimbursements for services. Significantly less coverage and if you choose a specialty that's covered today it may be gone next year. The reimbursements have been cut up to 45%...a lot less money to go around.
    If you don't mind working for a hospital or a medical clinic as a salaried employee then I'd say go for it. Because of major changes in our healthcare coverages, emergency room visits are, and will continue to rise. This is creating a large demand at the hospitals.
    I would recommend you stay away from private practice because it just isn't what it once was. A lot more work at significantly less pay. Insurance companies are getting stricter with documentation and its a nightmare.
    Hope it helps and if you have any other questions feel free to pm.

10. Mar 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    EG555

EG555 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edgar
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    stock '13 PreRunner TRD O/R
    HAHAHA I almost spit my cereal out.

I'm currently in my JR year in college, general Biology and so far it's pretty intensive in studying and doing homework. Next semester isn't looking too pretty and I know for sure that Med school won't be any easier. In the end it will be well worth it. Look forward to studying Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights!

11. Mar 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Ahahahaha! Nice!

12. Mar 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    i'm not a doctor.... But I play one on TV :spy:

13. Mar 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    RiverBoyTRD

RiverBoyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR
    2 Hellas, 3 inch, spiders, grill guard, 285's, BHLM etc.
    I'm not a provider but I work in a medical group......I'm looking for work elsewhere with my schooling and certifications.

Although its more of WHO I work for than WHAT work I do. But Obamacare has my Urgent Care F'ed UP, and it isn't even in affect yet.

You will see more and more people thinking they have a RIGHT to FREE healthcare, which they do but not in a privetly owned facility.

14. Mar 19, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Do some research on doctors and the military/medical school

15. Mar 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I'm currently becoming an emt, and I plan to get a job as an ER assistant as soon as I'm done. Or working on a BLS unit of some kind. Just want to try different options and see what I like. I want to become a full time firefighter, but maybe I will discover I want to work in a hospital instead of something.

16. Mar 25, 2013 at 12:09 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I have a couple of friends in med school now.

I rarely hear from them but most of their comments have to do with being well organized as well as being a capable student. It's a lot of work but definitely doable. If you're not into that, you will struggle.

Someone mentioned the military. I don't know how that works but usually, there's a commitment after your schooling for some number of years which could make it years before you see the inside of a private practice. On the other hand, it could be a great way to go and is definitely worth looking into.

Good luck with your decision.

17. Mar 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    trust me I'm a doctor lol... Anyone seen the Dr.pepper commercials thats what I'm referring to

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  18. Mar 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM
    Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    I'm not a doctor but am relatively familiar with the pre-med path. It's a good thing that you're only in HS and already interested. Once you're in college, the first two years are typically lower-division courses with an emphasis on general education.
    The most essential thing to do is to get to know your professors early in your college career and possibly earn your way into a research opportunity with a professor and also if possible, volunteer your time at a local hospital (some have programs exclusively for college students). The same professors/doctors who you've been working with and getting to know, will most likely be the ones writing your letters of recommendation for your med school applications. Let me know if you have any other questions.

19. Apr 1, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    My wife is a Chiropractor, and to be honest...I wish she never went into it. The school cost just as much as traditional med school, there are very few opportunities out of school to work for someone. The only way you can make any DR money is to open your own practice and good luck doing that when your deep into student loans. Most of her friends make under 40k out of school and work shitty hrs for shitty chiros. I have a poli sci degree and make more than anyone she went to school with. If you can make it on your own, you can be golden though. Problem is that every town already has 100 chiros and most barely made it through undergrad but since chiro school is private they will take any idiot that can sign a student loan.

Military is an excellent option. Not exactly sure how it works but basically after youre done with school, you become a Military Officer and depending on your skill, determines your rank. You get reimbursed for loans, bonus pay on your skill ect....You will finish your time in service with a crap ton of experience and can most likely walkin anywhere you want to go. A former USAF anesteologists lives near my parents. He's set up pretty nicely.

20. Apr 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    sde780

sde780 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Straight A's in high school mean nothing in college. Get a couple years of a Bio or Chem degree under your belt before committing to anything

To Top