Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Any Security Officers on this site?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #21
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtaco24 View Post
Oh, I know which one.
Not Allied Barton either...
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #22
Just a man and his truck
FLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant future

Navy: GSM
Name: JJ
FLtaco24's Tacoma Gallery
I've always wanted to do maritime security, but I hear its hard to get into.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #23
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND View Post
BTW you gotta have the right mentality for it. Sure it looks easy but when actual emergency occurs you gotta know how to deal with it. I've dealt with 18 deaths in my career and just recently a suicide. Trying to comfort a 9 year old girl as to why her daddy is bleeding from the mouth is something that sticks on you.
Very true. You are the one that gets there before the police...before the paramedics...before anyone else. You have to know how to deal with a magnitude of situations.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #24
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
Technically it's private property. My guys could tell you that you couldn't have it on property whether there was a sign or not. If you gave them an attitude, the would tell you to leave. If you didn't leave, you would be arrested for trespass after warning. No reason needed...I've seen trespass warnings where the reason was something as small as disrespect. They come back again and again. Over 700 people trespassed and 500 arrested last year alone at one mall...

Some are jackasses, trust me, I know. However, you have to remember that the vast majority of the time, they are following orders from higher ups at the property they're at...

Like anything, it depends on the location. More affluent areas will have better security companies than lower socioeconomic areas.
yeah i know that. i know in TN if you have a hand gun carry permit. and carry on private property that has a no gun sign and they ask you to leave, leave. you can be charged with trespassing if you donít leave. if you leave when asked i donít think you can.

he just said i could/should not have it, never asked me to leave or even put it away. and saying their was a sign when there is not was BS. I could see if their was a sign or he asked me to put it away and leave, because itís not allowed on mall property. but just saying iím not allowed to have it does not make any cense at all to me. IDK what his deal was. also if it was illegal than why could he not call the cops? IMO he came across as telling me i personally was not allowed to have a knife or something and was just being a jacka**.

I try and respect everyone till they give me a reason not to.(sometimes they have to earn it, but most the time they donít. which bites me in the ass sometimes)
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #25
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
yeah i know that. i know in TN if you have a hand gun carry permit. and carry on private property that has a no gun sign and they ask you to leave, leave. you can be charged with trespassing if you donít leave. if you leave when asked i donít think you can.

he just said i could/should not have it, never asked me to leave or even put it away. and saying their was a sign when there is not was BS. I could see if their was a sign or he asked me to put it away and leave, because itís not allowed on mall property. but just saying iím not allowed to have it does not make any cense at all to me. IDK what his deal was. also if it was illegal than why could he not call the cops? IMO he came across as telling me i personally was not allowed to have a knife or something and was just being a jacka**.

I try and respect everyone till they give me a reason not to.(sometimes they have to earn it, but most the time they donít. which bites me in the ass sometimes)
Yeah...sometimes the uneducated will remain uneducated despite our efforts...lol.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #26
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Very true. You are the one that gets there before the police...before the paramedics...before anyone else. You have to know how to deal with a magnitude of situations.
Aside from the unknowns. There are perks to it.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #27
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
I've always wanted to do maritime security, but I hear its hard to get into.
Like on a cruise ship? Or at a port?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #28
Just a man and his truck
FLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant future

Cruise ship.

Quote:
Like on a cruise ship? Or at a port?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 AM   #29
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Certified Licensed Security Officer.
oh ok cool. good to know.
Quote:
Ha, me too. I'm actually at work now.
lol. some times iíll be up till 4 or so than get up between 9 and 10 usually. some times i stay up later and get up later, or go to bed earlier and get up earlier.
Quote:
BTW you gotta have the right mentality for it. Sure it looks easy but when actual emergency occurs you gotta know how to deal with it. I've dealt with 18 deaths in my career and just recently a suicide. Trying to comfort a 9 year old girl as to why her daddy is bleeding from the mouth is something that sticks on you.
yeah i know. i think thats how it is with a lot of jobs.(leo, fire,ems ect) i have family in LE. as far as i know death does not bother me at all.(iím not afraid to kill if i had to, to protect me self or someone els, and not afraid to see a dead body) I almost saw someone i new die.(he had a seizure from taking drugs that me and another buddy did not know about) had to call 911 and everything. he was fin after a week or so in the hospital. but i really could not care less when i found out he took drugs.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #30
GO VOLS!

Quote:
Yeah...sometimes the uneducated will remain uneducated despite our efforts...lol.
haha. yep i think that goes with just about any job tho... sadly.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #31
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah i know. i think thats how it is with a lot of jobs.(leo, fire,ems ect) i have family in LE. as far as i know death does not bother me at all.(iím not afraid to kill if i had to, to protect me self or someone els, and not afraid to see a dead body) I almost saw someone i new die.(he had a seizure from taking drugs that me and another buddy did not know about) had to call 911 and everything. he was fin after a week or so in the hospital. but i really could not care less when i found out he took drugs.
It's not the dead bodies. It's the psychological after effects.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #32
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
whats CLSO? just wondering.

and no offense i hate the once at the mall. one saw me opening something with a knife and tried to tell me itís illegal for me to have a knife in the mall. Itís not illegal for me to have a knife in the mall, they donít even have a no gun sign and you can legally carry a gun if you wanted to.(at least at the one around here) I told him it was not illegal, he said there was a sign on the doors. i said lets go to the door and show me the sign. their was no sign.... told me itís still illegal, i told if it is than call the cops. he said he canít do that and walked off.
That's stupid. I am also a PSO (armed) and one of my accounts is in the same parking lot as a mall and if we ever go into the mall for lunch the mall security calls the cops on us for bringing our guns in the mall. When PD arrives they just laugh and leave.

Good story... one of my partners is of duty Leo, he walked into the mall in his security uniform (by orders of the police department) to deliver a report to our PD substation inside the mall for a recent incident. Mall security told him he wasn't allowed to bring his firearm inside or his uniform. They threatened to call PD on him, so he took off his uniform shirt and PSO badge, and put on his Leo badge, then told them to fuck off and continued into the mall. Haha good times. It was classic. See have so much beef with mall cops its funny.

Anyways, yeah armed is fun. Get to carry full duty belt including Taser X-26 and we wear body armor too. Never know when you'll need it with all these shootings going on. Done several EP events as well such as Golden Globes, Oscars, AMA, and more. That's where the money is at right there! At $30+ per hour working 12-24 hour shifts... gotta have CCW though
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #33
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's not the dead bodies. It's the psychological after effects.
Yep. I was a first responder to a DB scene once... it wasn't the initial sight that got me, it was the psychological issues the next 2 weeks that got me.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #34
Just a man and his truck

Yeah I figured lol. Well if you guys ever get any openings, feel free to let me a know

Quote:
Not Allied Barton either...
Old 02-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #35
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like the title says, are there any security officers here like myself? I've been working security off and on since i was 19, but last year I got a job doing armed security. I didn't really know what to think about being armed, but so far I've only had to pull my gun out once, thank god nothing happened.

Just wanted to see if there were any other security officers out there. And yes it's security officer, not security guard. thanks
Then you shouldn't be armed.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #36
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you who are interested in getting experience to be a police officer later, you might want to look at Loss Prevention/Asset Protection. Those positions involve investigations, so you would be more valued than someone who was a warm body patrolling an area. I'm not trying to bash on security guards because they play an important role, but a person conducting investigations would be better prepared for a future LEO/federal career. They can teach the armed aspect in the academy. I went through the hiring process with a well known federal agency for almost two years due to my past retail investigations involving check fraud and organized retail crime. They didn't care about my police patrol experience. I also made my own schedule (which I really miss now). Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #37
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious as to how much training you guys get and how often qual periods are...and what laws you get taught regarding using your guns.

This does not go for the EP guys. I know you get numerous hours of training, tactics, and driving skills.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #38
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
I'm curious as to how much training you guys get and how often qual periods are...and what laws you get taught regarding using your guns.

This does not go for the EP guys. I know you get numerous hours of training, tactics, and driving skills.
I work FPS. Kodiak, You already know the training I went through
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #39
Just a man and his truck

That was when I thinking about being armed, but now that I have gone threw the state requirements, and feel comfortable with a handgun, I feel confident in myself.

Quote:
Then you shouldn't be armed.
Here in Florida we have to have a unarmed which is 24 hour course, than your armed which is 28 hours, plus range time. To keep your license valid you must take a 4 hour re qualification once a year, and than range time. You must get a a minimum of 170 to pass and the best you can do is 240, I've shot twice and shot a 220 and today I did my re qualification and got a 231.

Quote:

Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #40
Just a man and his truck

We also are required to take a psych test and see a therapist, before handling a firearm while at work.