Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Any Security Officers on this site?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #41
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
I'm curious as to how much training you guys get and how often qual periods are...and what laws you get taught regarding using your guns.

This does not go for the EP guys. I know you get numerous hours of training, tactics, and driving skills.
Sadly, the training is quite sub-par to be honest. In CA, firearm permit requires semi-annual re-quals to remain active. My process of getting licensed taught straight basics. Anyone with half a brain could do this stuff. Even the companies I have worked for failed to provide adequate training.

Luckily, I got my training and experience from several LEOs who I work with and are close friends of mine. Taught me all the things that matter like officer safety skills, handcuffing techniques, take-down tactics, and all this type of stuff. Basically a crash course police academy. I have more knowledge than a vast majority of PSO's and that's scary to be honest. PSOs should be trained more.

The only downfall I see to the things I have learned is I tend to approach situations like a LEO would vs how a PSO is trained to since I was taught by LEOs. This is great for me for officer safety and experience is concerned, but it pushes the legal boundaries of what PSOs are taught. I'll tend to be more liberal in the deployment of my firearm or Taser in the same manner a normal Leo would, but security is trained to be extremely conservative with this. Its almost as if PSO training tries to scare you into not ever touching your weapon which is stupid.

Because of the EP work, I have lots of additional training and experience, but overall I think the vast majority of people who are hired for normal observe and report type posts such as malls and shopping centers are undertrained. I know I was way back when I first started out. Maybe not true for everyone, but this is the way I saw it knowing what I know now.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #42
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtaco24 View Post
We also are required to take a psych test and see a therapist, before handling a firearm while at work.
Wow I think that's a great requirement. Might become annoying for those who are normal people, but it helps to at least sort out some of these more unstable folks like we continue to see in the news. These people are really messing it up for the rest of us law abiding citizens. Anyways that's a whole different topic though.

I'd hate to have to take a psych eval, but I almost wish we were required too. I've worked with a few people who I felt unsafe on patrol with
Old 02-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #43
Thin Blue Line

Quote:

Here in Florida we have to have a unarmed which is 24 hour course, than your armed which is 28 hours, plus range time. To keep your license valid you must take a 4 hour re qualification once a year, and than range time. You must get a a minimum of 170 to pass and the best you can do is 240, I've shot twice and shot a 220 and today I did my re qualification and got a 231.
Wow that's it? In Cali we have 40 hours for security only. 16 additional for a firearm plus range time. And then between 8-16 hours additional each for things such as baton, OC, CPR, etc. I think its like 20+ hours for a taser plus deployments. I forget exactly. Firearm requires 6 month requals and a 8 or 16 hour refresher course every 2 years upon renewal.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #44
Just a man and his truck
FLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant future

Navy: GSM
Name: JJ
FLtaco24's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, each state is different. I can only imagine what NY and IL are, seeing how they have pretty strict gun laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Wow that's it? In Cali we have 40 hours for security only. 16 additional for a firearm plus range time. And then between 8-16 hours additional each for things such as baton, OC, CPR, etc. I think its like 20+ hours for a taser plus deployments. I forget exactly. Firearm requires 6 month requals and a 8 or 16 hour refresher course every 2 years upon renewal.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #45
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Yeah, each state is different. I can only imagine what NY and IL are, seeing how they have pretty strict gun laws.
Yeah I know right. That's crazy
Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #46
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's stupid. I am also a PSO (armed) and one of my accounts is in the same parking lot as a mall and if we ever go into the mall for lunch the mall security calls the cops on us for bringing our guns in the mall. When PD arrives they just laugh and leave.

Good story... one of my partners is of duty Leo, he walked into the mall in his security uniform (by orders of the police department) to deliver a report to our PD substation inside the mall for a recent incident. Mall security told him he wasn't allowed to bring his firearm inside or his uniform. They threatened to call PD on him, so he took off his uniform shirt and PSO badge, and put on his Leo badge, then told them to fuck off and continued into the mall. Haha good times. It was classic. See have so much beef with mall cops its funny.

Anyways, yeah armed is fun. Get to carry full duty belt including Taser X-26 and we wear body armor too. Never know when you'll need it with all these shootings going on. Done several EP events as well such as Golden Globes, Oscars, AMA, and more. That's where the money is at right there! At $30+ per hour working 12-24 hour shifts... gotta have CCW though
yep it was. and thats funny as hell!

i can see how like security for AMA or Golden globes would make some damn good money. Iím hoping to get my HCP(itís called handgun carry permit here, since we can CC or OC loaded) i need to get a gun and stuff first.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #47
Deceased
Lagunito is on a distinguished road

Lagunito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

....Just wanted to see if there were any other security officers out there. And yes it's security officer, not security guard. thanks
No distinction between the two in California.
The distiction is in the level of training and permits.

Balls are to be kept in your pants not your hands.
Guns are a defensive stratagy or a deterent for escalation.

http://www.bsis.ca.gov/forms_pubs/guard_fact.shtml

Just wearing a uniform has a psychological effect on people.
Even the people wearing them.
You have to come to the conclusion that you make the uniform, an that the uniform does not make you.
A gun is part of that uniform, they are both implements of the trade.
Knowledge is the greatest implement in any trade, and you gather that through training and experience.

I'm not trying to write a book here but you probably get the idea.
If you have ever been in the military or raised by military standards
It would come naturally to you. "discipline"

I could get into the symbology and esoterics of the trade but I'll stop here.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #48
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
I'm curious as to how much training you guys get and how often qual periods are...and what laws you get taught regarding using your guns.

This does not go for the EP guys. I know you get numerous hours of training, tactics, and driving skills.
We get unlimited range time and ammunition. The state says you have to qualify once a year, but our company makes you qualify once a quarter on top of the state requirement. Along with quarterly firearms, we have to take "Continuing Ed" classes on stuff like CPR/First Aid, Hazardous Material, and e list goes on...

What do you mean the laws involving our guns? Like where I can and can't carry? As a supervisor, I can, in uniform openly carry anywhere I want to (excluding things like court houses and whatnot) as long as I am either on the clock, or on my way to or from work. If I'm on the clock, I can go into lets say the mall to get lunch while carrying.

Or do you mean shoot/no shoot scenarios, when to draw, stuff like that? Cause that's kinda built in to the quarterlys.

Also, to be armed with my company, you have to have either LEO experience, or a college degree (an AA, BS, or academy fufills this) in a related field, two years with the company, and verifiable firearms experience.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #49
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
We get unlimited range time and ammunition. The state says you have to qualify once a year, but our company makes you qualify once a quarter on top of the state requirement. Along with quarterly firearms, we have to take "Continuing Ed" classes on stuff like CPR/First Aid, Hazardous Material, and e list goes on...

What do you mean the laws involving our guns? Like where I can and can't carry? As a supervisor, I can, in uniform openly carry anywhere I want to (excluding things like court houses and whatnot) as long as I am either on the clock, or on my way to or from work. If I'm on the clock, I can go into lets say the mall to get lunch while carrying.

Or do you mean shoot/no shoot scenarios, when to draw, stuff like that? Cause that's kinda built in to the quarterlys.

Also, to be armed with my company, you have to have either LEO experience, or a college degree (an AA, BS, or academy fufills this) in a related field, two years with the company, and verifiable firearms experience.
State laws regarding use of force, etc. It sounds like your company has it all covered; avoids the negligence lawsuits.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #50
Just a man and his truck
FLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant future

My company has the uniform, but the client I work for requested we not wear them, our work shirt is a Ralph Lauren polo shirt, Docker kayak pants, and Rockport shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunito View Post
No distinction between the two in California.
The distiction is in the level of training and permits.

Balls are to be kept in your pants not your hands.
Guns are a defensive stratagy or a deterent for escalation.

http://www.bsis.ca.gov/forms_pubs/guard_fact.shtml

Just wearing a uniform has a physcological affect on people.
Even the people wearing them.
You have to come to the conclusion that you make the uniform, an that the uniform does not make you.
A gun is part of that uniform, they are both implements of the trade.
Knowledge is the greatest implement in any trade, and you gather that through training and experience.

I'm not trying to write a book here but you probably get the idea.
If you have ever been in the military or raised by military standards
It would come naturally to you. "discipline"

I could get into the symbology and esoterics of the trade but I'll stop here.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #51
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here in Va you have to go through unarmed before going though armed. Armed is 60hours minimum, And you MUST have arrest authority to be armed. No exceptions. There is the basic standard shooting course under VA DCJS, but Depending on the company, they can have a MUCH more difficult standard if it is approved by VA DCJS. That standard here is the difference between an armed officer making 16 per hour with no benefits and 25 per hour starting with full health coverage, paid vacation, retirement, and school fund.

The company I work for the minimum to qualify with handgun is 210. The max is 250. I score around 235-242 consistently depending on the day and the weapon. Our company requires every 6 months re-qual (per fed gov)
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #52
Deceased
Lagunito is on a distinguished road

Lagunito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My company has the uniform, but the client I work for requested we not wear them, our work shirt is a Ralph Lauren polo shirt, Docker kayak pants, and Rockport shoes.
That's club or resort wear,
you could have members only jackets or
windbreakers silkscreened with the word "SECURITY" on the back.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #53
Just a man and his truck

Yeah, i get told that a lot. But I don't wear anything that says security, our jackets don't even say that. The house i work out is as big as a resort if that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunito View Post
That's club or resort wear,
you could have members only jackets or
windbreakers silkscreened with the word "SECURITY" on the back.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #54
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Maritime Security

Quote:
I've always wanted to do maritime security, but I hear its hard to get into.

Join the Coast Guard for experience...........no better experience reference can be found!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #55
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
By Coast Guard, are you referring to the best dressed mother fuckers on the water?

Ha, I kid, I kid, but for serious: The Coast Guard is a great place to start. So is CBP or Border Patrol if you can get into it. If you can't get into any full time, you can join the USCG Reserve or you could see if a local port police type agency has reserve officer positions or volunteers. You have to start somewhere.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #56
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
By Coast Guard, are you referring to the best dressed mother fuckers on the water?

Ha, I kid, I kid, but for serious: The Coast Guard is a great place to start. So is CBP or Border Patrol if you can get into it. If you can't get into any full time, you can join the USCG Reserve or you could see if a local port police type agency has reserve officer positions or volunteers. You have to start somewhere.
Is CBP (customs and border protection) and Border Patrol not the same thing cuz I sure thought it was
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #57
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
No they aren't. CBP Officers work at ports of entry. Border Patrol Agents work between ports of entry and do what their name implies; they patrol.

The Border Patrol falls under the administrative control of Customs and Border Protection, which is why they are often mistakenly misconstrued as Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officers. The relationship is much like that of the Navy and the Marine Corps. They fall under the same umbrella, but they are not the same.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #58
Thin Blue Line

Ahh. Got it. Learn something new every day.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #59
Thin Blue Line

Well since this is a PSO thread, what kind of gear do you all carry? Nylon or Leather? Pics of your duty belt setups? Just for fun