1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any MBA holders here?- worth it? or just a check in the box?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by thairannosaurus, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Feb 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    thairannosaurus

thairannosaurus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Pro
    AC drain mod, interior lights, tonneau cover, avid light bar, N2 remote start, power tailgate lock
    Hi all, so its time for me to consider grad school. The army reserve said they'll cover it but I'm conflicted as to which degree pathway I want to go. I graduated with a psych degree and a business minor. I had originally intended on following up with psychology but my dad (who owns a wholesale distributing business) has decided he really wants to retire and wants me to take over as the rest of my siblings are too young or too inexperienced with the family business. I'm not completely opposed to the idea as I've been working here on and off since I was 18 (25 now) and its given me a lot of the opportunities I've had but if I were to go this pathway, a masters in psych would be intrinsically pleasing but not very useful other than being able to "read minds" as everyone assumes all psych majors can do, Haha.

So with that back story, I'm contemplating getting an MBA down here in San antonio and that's when I'm hoping any current MBA holders can chime in: is it worth for an entrepreneur and not someone just trying to check a box so They can get promoted in their company? Will I actually learn useful advice/knowledge that I can apply or is it like my undergrad where it was a shotgun blast of info to the face and then you braindump it after a test? Please consider cost and money is not an issue (as most MBA holders have seen to be the biggest issue) as the army will be footing the majority of the bill. I just looking at this from a practical, "will I actually learn and use what I learn" perspective.

I figured I'd ask the taco crowd because of such a diverse demographic as opposed to some business forum who'd just be too bias whereas taco guys could.honestly.chime.in because no one gets butthurt until someone calls someone else's truck ugly, Haha. Thanks guys.

2. Feb 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    mba without work experience is useless. most people go for mbas so they can get to next level position. if you are a true entrepeneur, use the money for seed capital. tough job economy does not help anyone and older guys with mbas and tons of experience will be chosen over you.

3. Feb 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Sure you might learn some things but so since you're going to be taking over a family business I wouldn't bother myself. Granted if its free it certainly wouldn't hurt but as the poster above me said this is more relevant for moving up in your career/having an edge over another candidate at your company. That doesn't apply to you.

I also would never go for an MBA right after getting an under grad degree even if you werent going into a family business. You'd benefit a lot more from an MBA with good real world experience. Again a different situation than you're in.

4. Feb 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    thairannosaurus

thairannosaurus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Pro
    AC drain mod, interior lights, tonneau cover, avid light bar, N2 remote start, power tailgate lock
    oh wow, thats both really good advice and insight. yeah, i figured with the army footing the bill, i'd try to pursue a master's and figured a business related degree would make more sense but maybe i will just end up following up with my psychology degree that way i have another career option just incase. thanks for the input guys, it's really appreciated.

5. May 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Got a Business Degree and I am a 20 year career firefighter if that tells you anything. Just about done paying off the student loans.:rolleyes:

6. May 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    BriansZ

BriansZ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner DCSB
    My MBA helped get my salary into the six digits. It was worth it for me. I've been in my field for over 10 years though so I didn't go for it straight from an under-grad program.

7. Jun 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    OP, if your B.A. was in Business, I probably tell you to look elsewhere, but it is not, so I suggest you do it. Uncle Sam is paying for it, and your B.A. is in Psych; so yes I believe you need to pursue this.

8. Jun 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Go for it if you want it we are a free country afterall

9. Jun 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    Why would you not its free?

10. Jul 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    SAWTulsa

SAWTulsa Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    Method wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler tires, Smittybilt Nfabs
    One more guy with an MBA here and the military footed the bill. Bottom line is if its free I think you are crazy not to do it. And it's not free by the way, it's a benefit you either take advantage of or don't.

It definitely won't close any doors for you in the future. ;-)

It has only helped. Good luck!

To Top