Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Any MBA holders here?- worth it? or just a check in the box?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
thairannosaurus has a spectacular aura aboutthairannosaurus has a spectacular aura aboutthairannosaurus has a spectacular aura about
Army: Signal LT, 228 CSH (USAR)
Name: Anthony
thairannosaurus's Tacoma Gallery
Any MBA holders here?- worth it? or just a check in the box?

Hi all, so its time for me to consider grad school. The army reserve said they'll cover it but I'm conflicted as to which degree pathway I want to go. I graduated with a psych degree and a business minor. I had originally intended on following up with psychology but my dad (who owns a wholesale distributing business) has decided he really wants to retire and wants me to take over as the rest of my siblings are too young or too inexperienced with the family business. I'm not completely opposed to the idea as I've been working here on and off since I was 18 (25 now) and its given me a lot of the opportunities I've had but if I were to go this pathway, a masters in psych would be intrinsically pleasing but not very useful other than being able to "read minds" as everyone assumes all psych majors can do, Haha.

So with that back story, I'm contemplating getting an MBA down here in San antonio and that's when I'm hoping any current MBA holders can chime in: is it worth for an entrepreneur and not someone just trying to check a box so They can get promoted in their company? Will I actually learn useful advice/knowledge that I can apply or is it like my undergrad where it was a shotgun blast of info to the face and then you braindump it after a test? Please consider cost and money is not an issue (as most MBA holders have seen to be the biggest issue) as the army will be footing the majority of the bill. I just looking at this from a practical, "will I actually learn and use what I learn" perspective.

I figured I'd ask the taco crowd because of such a diverse demographic as opposed to some business forum who'd just be too bias whereas taco guys could.honestly.chime.in because no one gets butthurt until someone calls someone else's truck ugly, Haha. Thanks guys.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
mba without work experience is useless. most people go for mbas so they can get to next level position. if you are a true entrepeneur, use the money for seed capital. tough job economy does not help anyone and older guys with mbas and tons of experience will be chosen over you.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Sure you might learn some things but so since you're going to be taking over a family business I wouldn't bother myself. Granted if its free it certainly wouldn't hurt but as the poster above me said this is more relevant for moving up in your career/having an edge over another candidate at your company. That doesn't apply to you.

I also would never go for an MBA right after getting an under grad degree even if you werent going into a family business. You'd benefit a lot more from an MBA with good real world experience. Again a different situation than you're in.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
thairannosaurus has a spectacular aura aboutthairannosaurus has a spectacular aura aboutthairannosaurus has a spectacular aura about
Army: Signal LT, 228 CSH (USAR)
Name: Anthony
thairannosaurus's Tacoma Gallery
oh wow, thats both really good advice and insight. yeah, i figured with the army footing the bill, i'd try to pursue a master's and figured a business related degree would make more sense but maybe i will just end up following up with my psychology degree that way i have another career option just incase. thanks for the input guys, it's really appreciated.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Got a Business Degree and I am a 20 year career firefighter if that tells you anything. Just about done paying off the student loans.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
BriansZ is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
BriansZ's Tacoma Gallery
My MBA helped get my salary into the six digits. It was worth it for me. I've been in my field for over 10 years though so I didn't go for it straight from an under-grad program.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
OP, if your B.A. was in Business, I probably tell you to look elsewhere, but it is not, so I suggest you do it. Uncle Sam is paying for it, and your B.A. is in Psych; so yes I believe you need to pursue this.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it if you want it we are a free country afterall
Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: David
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Why would you not its free?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2006Yota View Post
If my thread here tells you anything, there are not many tacoma owners who at least are willing to say they've been through higher education. =/

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...iscussion.html
Oh man, that is just sad!

At least my thread had some action! http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/job...come-down.html
Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
SAWTulsa is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Sean
SAWTulsa's Tacoma Gallery
One more guy with an MBA here and the military footed the bill. Bottom line is if its free I think you are crazy not to do it. And it's not free by the way, it's a benefit you either take advantage of or don't.

It definitely won't close any doors for you in the future. ;-)

It has only helped. Good luck!