Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Stay with Feds or leave ?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
luvrots is on a distinguished road
luvrots's Tacoma Gallery
Stay with Feds or leave ?

Need some unbiased advice. I'm a current federal employee of 3 years and facing a possible furlough (20 % pay cut for 6 months) is what it amounts to. I don't live beyond my means but that would hurt, if it happens. In the mean time my previous employer (which i had 17 years in) is a branch of State government has an opening also. The retirement benefits are about the same (I'm 44) and the state medical is better. The pay for the state job is about $3000 less per year. Just concerned that if the furloughs take place now what's to say they won't happen again next fiscal year ???? Kind of torn, both jobs had nice perks. I guess I'm fortunate to be in a position to have two potential jobs at this point. What you do.....
Old 02-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
LennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to all
Law Enforcement:
LennyTheLip's Tacoma Gallery
If you return to your previous employer, do you carry over your seniority? Or start over again? If you carry over, and the furloughs seems like they are going to happen, make the switch. If you start as a new guy, or low level in seniority, who's to say the State won't do furloughs or layoffs? Tough decision.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
luvrots is on a distinguished road
luvrots's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks- would get all of my seniority back, just like I never left.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
Jay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay9722's Tacoma Gallery
Go back to State. I'm in the same boat. I don't know if sequestration will force any furlough on me but if it does I'm pretty much sunk. I have 11 years on with Feds and could go back to my state job but I'd be starting at zero, base pay too, about a 80k pay cut. You only have 3 years with Feds so it's not like you're losing too much. If I could go back 11 years I never would have left the state. This sequestration is a sign of more doom and gloom to come. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like the State is a better option now. Nobody knows what the future holds, but we have to do what's best, and then when things change just deal with it then.
We have been through furloughs also (2006 - 2010) slow down in the construction industry, and it sucks. Good to have options.