Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

How to go about finding a new career

Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
jbaird22 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Police
jbaird22's Tacoma Gallery
How to go about finding a new career

Or job. I currently do a job most people dream of having, but its turned into a nightmare. I've decided to get out and do something else. That was the easier part. The hard part is deciding what I want to do now that I've grown up. I have an associates degree in criminal justice (100% worthless) and have experience in sales. I'm a first line supervisor and trainer but I don't want anything to do with my current field. Going back to school not really much of an option. Any ideas? I've hit a wall in my brainstorming and feel like I'm missing the obvious. Anyone else been there?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird22 View Post
Or job. I currently do a job most people dream of having, but its turned into a nightmare. I've decided to get out and do something else. That was the easier part. The hard part is deciding what I want to do now that I've grown up. I have an associates degree in criminal justice (100% worthless) and have experience in sales. I'm a first line supervisor and trainer but I don't want anything to do with my current field. Going back to school not really much of an option. Any ideas? I've hit a wall in my brainstorming and feel like I'm missing the obvious. Anyone else been there?
hey man, if you need to talk about anything shoot me a PM. i know what a pain in the taint your field can be. back on topic, i got my associates in criminal justice as well, and agree that its 200% fucking worthless. im currently taking online classes full time to get my bachelors degree in business admin within a year and a few months. if you want some help looking into that, pm me. otherwise, i know what youre saying, and am getting my bachelors while working midnights to possibly explore other options.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird22 View Post
I have an idea of the situation you might be in. I would start at the real basic stuff. Like what makes you happy ? Do you like to help people than maybe go into service like healthcare. Go around what would give you satisfaction first and go from there. Cars, are you handy ? get into mechanics...but whatever you do i would say at the minimum pick up a minor degree in business. It will not only help you if you decide to go on your own but it will help you realize if your bosses/company are taking advantage of you.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Getting to the point of saying, "I'm done" was a huge step for me. All I had ever wanted to do was be a cop and after doing it for 10 years, I've realized it just isn't for me anymore.

And to be honest, not gloating, I'm one of those a-holes that's good at everything. Except medical stuff. That is one area I want nothing to do with just because I don't like it. Blood, death and all that stuff don't bother me.

My short list of potential careers includes selling real estate, electrician, welder, paralegal, insurance claims. Anyone any of those things care to give some insight?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
craigslist.org
Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
where are you located OP?

Look into commercial real estate, my ex's uncle is doing it making 300K+ a year its definitely something to look into.

Im an aircraft mechanic myself and love the work. Definitely not the most stable line of work but the work non the less I love. I personally am considering a shift inside my field to the growing commercial space industry. Space has always intriuged me and so many companies are trying to get to the moon and asteroids they are hiring left and right. Just something ive personally thought it would be awesome to contribute to.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
ivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ivoryaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Don't have any personal experience with your situation, however I work as a guidance counselor and provide assistance to students choosing career/education tracks. With your background, what about contract work within the military/industrial complex? You don't even need to go overseas to snag a job providing training to military personnel. These are usually high paying jobs that require little training on your part.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryaddict View Post
Don't have any personal experience with your situation, however I work as a guidance counselor and provide assistance to students choosing career/education tracks. With your background, what about contract work within the military/industrial complex? You don't even need to go overseas to snag a job providing training to military personnel. These are usually high paying jobs that require little training on your part.
I would have to agree. Im an aircraft mechanic / military contractor, however I deploy overseas. Definitely some good jobs stateside in the contract world as well.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Space has always intriuged me and so many companies are trying to get to the moon and asteroids they are hiring left and right. Just something ive personally thought it would be awesome to contribute to.
That would be a sweet job to work in the "space" industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
I would have to agree. Im an aircraft mechanic / military contractor, however I deploy overseas. Definitely some good jobs stateside in the contract world as well.

Even still with budget cuts and sequestration? our current contract cannot be renewed untill the sequester is over. We are on a "bridge agreement"...wtf ever that means.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Im still researching but leaning toward real estate or going back to school for human resources/business. When I think about parts of my current job I enjoy, its being an advocate for employees and making sure they're treated fairly.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Even still with budget cuts and sequestration? our current contract cannot be renewed untill the sequester is over. We are on a "bridge agreement"...wtf ever that means.
Yeah there are still some programs that are protected that aren't getting cut.
Im in the UAV industry, thank god our government loves their UAVs!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im still researching but leaning toward real estate
Say goodbye to your nights and weekends and even though it isn't as cut throat as auto sales it can still be feast or famine.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Real estate can be both kickass and lame. You can do great and make a tonnnn of money, or the opposite. I thought about it as well, and that post earlier about the industrial real estate guy making 300k a year makes me want to do it even more lol
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Car sales ?