1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Having a hard time deciding: Nursing or Engineering

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by 99HiluxFan87, Apr 7, 2013.

1. May 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    PhdNPrerunners

PhdNPrerunners Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Hey guys I need a little advice. My local community college has an ADN program that I can apply for after the fall semester but lately I have been hearing that they are not really hiring nurses with associates. Should I apply for the ADN program or just keep going and apply for the BSN program at a university? If I did do the ADN program I plan on continuing to get my BSN once I get my ADN.

2. May 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    rleete

rleete Grumpy old man - get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Base DC, SR5, TRD Sport
    Billet grill
    One word: outsourcing.

Nursing will never be sent off shore.

Oh, and I'm an engineer. You spend most of your time writing emails and doing paperwork. The fixing/inventing part is maybe 20% at most.

3. May 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    One consideration for engineering. You may or may not use a lot of it on the job (that depends) but to make it through the degree you are going to have get through some pretty advanced calculus and other specialized math subjects at the junior/senior level. So if you did very well in the freshman/soph math classes that is a good sign.

But the reward is there at the end with available job security and pay.

4. May 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA

If you mean the two year nursing programs that leads to passing the RN exam, the same exam as the BSN graduates take, they are hiring those in GA. My daughter just did it and now works at a hospital. Her's was really more like a 3 year program, with 2 years actually in the nursing program and the first year taking core pre-requisites to qualify for admission to the nursing program.

5. May 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    iliketurtles

iliketurtles Well-Known Member

Member:
    OP, I'd consider which would pay more, ease of finding a job in both fields, and the shift work that you'll encounter as a nurse. Good luck!

6. May 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I retired as an electrical engineer about 13 years ago. I really enjoy designing, building and troubleshooting things. The biggest problem I found with engineering as a career is that I was expected to get into management within about 12 years or so. I successfully avoided it, but was forced to quit the company after about 19 years. I became a contract engineer, doing the same work (mostly for the same company) at a significantly higher salary, but without any job security. Another problem was that the technology changed so much and so fast it was impossible to stay on top of it and have any kind of private life.

7. May 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    CrazyDiamond

CrazyDiamond Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD / DC / SB
    I'm an engineer. Been doing this for quite a while now. There are things I love, and things I loath - just like most of my nurse friends :D

I easily work way more hours than my nurse friends. When they go home, they leave their job behind. I'm expected to take my work home with me --- and keep producing.

I work in a constantly changing environment (a plus), and I have way more autonomy than nurses (at leave while I'm "on the clock").

At the end of they day, I feel like I contributed to the bottom line of my company. My nurse friends each tell me that they touched someones life.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  8. May 9, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    Nursing...is the way to go,,, there 95 % chance of getting a job then Engineering....

9. May 9, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    sdoheny

sdoheny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Sport
    N-Fab Text black 3 main tube, led interior lighting, sylvania ultra head lamps, led map/dome/license plate, rail mounted bed lights, trd skid plate, Aero Turbin muffler swap, MRBP Black Exhaust Tip, weather tech, fuel trophy, duratrac 265 70 17, plasti dip badges, Icon stage 4 suspension, TRD shift knob, AFE CAI, Raptor Light MOD.
    I am an Electrical Engineer and I love it. Endless possibilities and job opportunities. I have a lot of friends, and my brother, that do nursing. They are new so they hate the work hours. Every time my family tries to get together for a holiday or birthday on the weekend, my brother is working. Its a pain.

10. May 9, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Nurses are always needed, and you can really do a lot. that being said, a BSN goes a lot farther than an RN. One of my friends makes > 100K/year going around and trouble shooting ER's. Granted, you have to have the experience and admin background, but there are career paths most people don't think of outside of patient care. Flight nurses, nurse managers, the hospital admin side, advanced-practice nurses (Ie, CRNA's, NP's), teachers (who do you think teaches nursing students?), etc.

Second, lots of foolin' around in health care. Got a buddy that was one of 3 male nurses in his program. Lucky SOB, that's all I have to say.

What type of engineering? Do you even know your interest? Lots of overlap there too - one of my college GF's was a civil engineer and she ended up in aerospace. Another thought, medical prosthetics. Engineering AND helping people.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  11. May 9, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    97Blk_one

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    ha..ha....somebody gotta do it...:D

12. May 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    Here's my 2 cents on this. I am an engineering technician, I work five days a week 8 hours a day. I have every weekend and holiday off no matter what. Overtime almost doesn't exist at my office. I can take time off or go on vacation whenever I want. My wife is an respiratory therapist and works at a hospital. She has to work every other weekend, has to find someone to work for her if she wants an unscheduled day off, has to schedule her vacation in January, she either works 8 or 12 hour shifts. Every evening I ask my wife "Do you work tomorrow"? Her schedule jumps around so much I can't remember. My wife and I almost make the same exact money but my work is way less stressful than hers.

13. May 9, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    97Blk_one

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    Let me tell y'all why I'm stickin' with Nursing, Economy is no where it use to be, and people are getting sick all the time. Medical professionals are in demand. Engineer if you have the market for it, big city, more job..But in a small,poverty, city like mind...Nursing seem more a good choice...But either or it's your future, pick it wisely grasshopper...:D

14. May 9, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    3INVERTED9S

3INVERTED9S Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA and Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 reg cab manual 4cyl.
    Method Standard wheels, Good Year Duratracs, Tint, K&N air and cabin filter, EBC Rotors and pads, Shitty JVC head unit, all Redline fluids, Optima battery, Bilstein 5100s, Uniden 520XL
    I have a cousin who got his degree in engineering and after a couple years he went to medical school and is now an orthopedic surgeon.

I would say get the engineering degree and see how you like it. If it is not for you then check out the medical field.

15. May 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    PhdNPrerunners

PhdNPrerunners Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I was struggling with the decision for a while myself. Growing up a lot of people told me that I should really look into engineering because I am really good at math and science. After doing some research and talking to some people that are going to school for engineering I decided that nursing is more for me. I know a couple guys who graduated from Texas A&M which is suppose to have on of the best engineering programs in the country and they are having trouble finding a job. For me I love helping people any chance I get. This past summer I had to go take care of my grandmother who had to have 3 open heart surgeries and after that thats when I realized that nursing is the career for me. Like people have said patient care isn't the only thing in nursing you can do. My plan is to once I get my BSN is work for a couple years and then go back to school to become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthesist. The whole idea that you have the power to help someone go through a major surgery and not feel an ounce of pain during the procedure is just awesome. I have quite a few procedures done to where if I had to have been awake during it I would have been miserable. Thank god for anesthesia! Plus the added bonus is that CRNA's making 150k+ a year and there is still room for advancement. Someone in my family has to make good money cause my fiance went to school for fashion design lol. So unless she makes it big I would much rather have a career that is recession proof. Good luck on your decision

16. May 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    That's a good point others brought up. There will most likely always be plenty of jobs for engineering graduates, either private companies or govt agencies. But you may have to relocate to where the jobs are.

Probably many good nursing jobs some reasonable distance from most anywhere nowadays.

17. May 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I have an Master in Industrial Engineering and I know many nurses, both male and female socially. While the engineers my age are planning retirements and second careers consulting or teaching, most of my friends in nursing are trying to get out to do ANYTHING else that will pay the bills.

Howard

18. May 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    My mother has been a nurse for the past 25 years, I'm finishing up my degree in Chemcial Engineering at a UC graduating in June.

I would say engineering all the way. You'll work 9-5, M-F and depending on the project, you'll occasionally work overtime and weekends. As a nurse, you can set your schedule, if you want to work 4 days on (12 hr shift) you can set Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, or you can do Tues-Fri.

The hardest about nursing (right now) is that hospitals are asking for nurses with experience which is really difficult to get right now. A lot of hospitals are not offering entry level nursing positions.

Engineering, you gain engineering experience through your internships during school over the summer, or during the year. I have 5 years engineering experience, field experience, OSHA certs, before graduating since industry loves interns (cheap labor, grunt work that required a technical mindset) that way you can be ahead of the game, be more competitive.

Both ways, there is a demand, but the jobs don't exist.

19. May 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    My advice
    Go for jobs in SIEM and data forensics.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  20. May 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    you'll meet more women in nursing.

you'll meet more men in engineering (esp Civil Eng)

you choose

To Top