Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Having a hard time deciding: Nursing or Engineering

Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
PhdNPrerunners will become famous soon enoughPhdNPrerunners will become famous soon enough

Name: Justin
PhdNPrerunners's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys I need a little advice. My local community college has an ADN program that I can apply for after the fall semester but lately I have been hearing that they are not really hiring nurses with associates. Should I apply for the ADN program or just keep going and apply for the BSN program at a university? If I did do the ADN program I plan on continuing to get my BSN once I get my ADN.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
Grumpy old man - get off my lawn
rleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant future
Name: Roger
rleete's Tacoma Gallery
One word: outsourcing.

Nursing will never be sent off shore.

Oh, and I'm an engineer. You spend most of your time writing emails and doing paperwork. The fixing/inventing part is maybe 20% at most.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #23
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
One consideration for engineering. You may or may not use a lot of it on the job (that depends) but to make it through the degree you are going to have get through some pretty advanced calculus and other specialized math subjects at the junior/senior level. So if you did very well in the freshman/soph math classes that is a good sign.

But the reward is there at the end with available job security and pay.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #24
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhdNPrerunners View Post
Hey guys I need a little advice. My local community college has an ADN program that I can apply for after the fall semester but lately I have been hearing that they are not really hiring nurses with associates. Should I apply for the ADN program or just keep going and apply for the BSN program at a university? If I did do the ADN program I plan on continuing to get my BSN once I get my ADN.

If you mean the two year nursing programs that leads to passing the RN exam, the same exam as the BSN graduates take, they are hiring those in GA. My daughter just did it and now works at a hospital. Her's was really more like a 3 year program, with 2 years actually in the nursing program and the first year taking core pre-requisites to qualify for admission to the nursing program.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #25
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I'd consider which would pay more, ease of finding a job in both fields, and the shift work that you'll encounter as a nurse. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #26
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I retired as an electrical engineer about 13 years ago. I really enjoy designing, building and troubleshooting things. The biggest problem I found with engineering as a career is that I was expected to get into management within about 12 years or so. I successfully avoided it, but was forced to quit the company after about 19 years. I became a contract engineer, doing the same work (mostly for the same company) at a significantly higher salary, but without any job security. Another problem was that the technology changed so much and so fast it was impossible to stay on top of it and have any kind of private life.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #27
CrazyDiamond is on a distinguished road

CrazyDiamond's Tacoma Gallery
I'm an engineer. Been doing this for quite a while now. There are things I love, and things I loath - just like most of my nurse friends

I easily work way more hours than my nurse friends. When they go home, they leave their job behind. I'm expected to take my work home with me --- and keep producing.

I work in a constantly changing environment (a plus), and I have way more autonomy than nurses (at leave while I'm "on the clock").

At the end of they day, I feel like I contributed to the bottom line of my company. My nurse friends each tell me that they touched someones life.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #28
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Nursing...is the way to go,,, there 95 % chance of getting a job then Engineering....
Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #29
Bluenik25 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nik
Bluenik25's Tacoma Gallery
I know engineers that work in many different fields. Nurses all work in relatively the same field. No one could pay me enough money to cup peoples balls and clean up shit.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #30
sdoheny will become famous soon enough

Name: Seth
sdoheny's Tacoma Gallery
I am an Electrical Engineer and I love it. Endless possibilities and job opportunities. I have a lot of friends, and my brother, that do nursing. They are new so they hate the work hours. Every time my family tries to get together for a holiday or birthday on the weekend, my brother is working. Its a pain.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #31
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99HiluxFan87 View Post
Hey guys I am very close to getting my associates degree but I am having a really hard time deciding between nursing or engineering. I have always had an interest in both because I love working on and designing stuff but at the same time I really enjoy helping people. I know a lot of people that said they wish they had chosen a different career and I really don't want to be one of those people. Also another factor that comes into play is being able to find a job once I graduate. Any advice would be great appreciated on my dilemma.
Nurses are always needed, and you can really do a lot. that being said, a BSN goes a lot farther than an RN. One of my friends makes > 100K/year going around and trouble shooting ER's. Granted, you have to have the experience and admin background, but there are career paths most people don't think of outside of patient care. Flight nurses, nurse managers, the hospital admin side, advanced-practice nurses (Ie, CRNA's, NP's), teachers (who do you think teaches nursing students?), etc.

Second, lots of foolin' around in health care. Got a buddy that was one of 3 male nurses in his program. Lucky SOB, that's all I have to say.

What type of engineering? Do you even know your interest? Lots of overlap there too - one of my college GF's was a civil engineer and she ended up in aerospace. Another thought, medical prosthetics. Engineering AND helping people.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #32
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenik25 View Post
No one could pay me enough money to cup peoples balls and clean up shit.
ha..ha....somebody gotta do it...
Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #33
Bluenik25 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nik
Bluenik25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blk_one View Post
ha..ha....somebody gotta do it...
Just not me! lol

I am an engineer and I travel a lot! Most don't, but you have to be carful what jobs you take and get experience in. I have been doing this job and getting paid extremely well for fifteen years. That being said I think it would be hard to get a job that doesn't include this much travel because that is where my experience is. That and the fact I would have to take a pay cut to compete with others interviewing for the same job. If you choose engineering think real hard about the field you want to be in for the rest of your life because it can be hard to change. Engineering is a very rewarding field that has thousands of opportunities. I am Mechanical and work with Electrical, Industrial, and Metallurgical engineers in the same field every day. If I had to choose again I would probably have picked Mechanical or Industrial.

Just my 2cents
Old 05-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #34
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my 2 cents on this. I am an engineering technician, I work five days a week 8 hours a day. I have every weekend and holiday off no matter what. Overtime almost doesn't exist at my office. I can take time off or go on vacation whenever I want. My wife is an respiratory therapist and works at a hospital. She has to work every other weekend, has to find someone to work for her if she wants an unscheduled day off, has to schedule her vacation in January, she either works 8 or 12 hour shifts. Every evening I ask my wife "Do you work tomorrow"? Her schedule jumps around so much I can't remember. My wife and I almost make the same exact money but my work is way less stressful than hers.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #35

Let me tell y'all why I'm stickin' with Nursing, Economy is no where it use to be, and people are getting sick all the time. Medical professionals are in demand. Engineer if you have the market for it, big city, more job..But in a small,poverty, city like mind...Nursing seem more a good choice...But either or it's your future, pick it wisely grasshopper...
Old 05-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #36
3INVERTED9S is on a distinguished road

3INVERTED9S's Tacoma Gallery
I have a cousin who got his degree in engineering and after a couple years he went to medical school and is now an orthopedic surgeon.

I would say get the engineering degree and see how you like it. If it is not for you then check out the medical field.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #37
PhdNPrerunners will become famous soon enoughPhdNPrerunners will become famous soon enough

Name: Justin
PhdNPrerunners's Tacoma Gallery
I was struggling with the decision for a while myself. Growing up a lot of people told me that I should really look into engineering because I am really good at math and science. After doing some research and talking to some people that are going to school for engineering I decided that nursing is more for me. I know a couple guys who graduated from Texas A&M which is suppose to have on of the best engineering programs in the country and they are having trouble finding a job. For me I love helping people any chance I get. This past summer I had to go take care of my grandmother who had to have 3 open heart surgeries and after that thats when I realized that nursing is the career for me. Like people have said patient care isn't the only thing in nursing you can do. My plan is to once I get my BSN is work for a couple years and then go back to school to become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthesist. The whole idea that you have the power to help someone go through a major surgery and not feel an ounce of pain during the procedure is just awesome. I have quite a few procedures done to where if I had to have been awake during it I would have been miserable. Thank god for anesthesia! Plus the added bonus is that CRNA's making 150k+ a year and there is still room for advancement. Someone in my family has to make good money cause my fiance went to school for fashion design lol. So unless she makes it big I would much rather have a career that is recession proof. Good luck on your decision
Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #38
Middle Age Member
That's a good point others brought up. There will most likely always be plenty of jobs for engineering graduates, either private companies or govt agencies. But you may have to relocate to where the jobs are.

Probably many good nursing jobs some reasonable distance from most anywhere nowadays.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #39
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I have an Master in Industrial Engineering and I know many nurses, both male and female socially. While the engineers my age are planning retirements and second careers consulting or teaching, most of my friends in nursing are trying to get out to do ANYTHING else that will pay the bills.

Howard
Old 05-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #40
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
My mother has been a nurse for the past 25 years, I'm finishing up my degree in Chemcial Engineering at a UC graduating in June.

I would say engineering all the way. You'll work 9-5, M-F and depending on the project, you'll occasionally work overtime and weekends. As a nurse, you can set your schedule, if you want to work 4 days on (12 hr shift) you can set Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, or you can do Tues-Fri.

The hardest about nursing (right now) is that hospitals are asking for nurses with experience which is really difficult to get right now. A lot of hospitals are not offering entry level nursing positions.

Engineering, you gain engineering experience through your internships during school over the summer, or during the year. I have 5 years engineering experience, field experience, OSHA certs, before graduating since industry loves interns (cheap labor, grunt work that required a technical mindset) that way you can be ahead of the game, be more competitive.

Both ways, there is a demand, but the jobs don't exist.