LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Advancement in my Career

Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Advancement in my Career

Today I was told by my boss to apply for a lead technician job in my field of work. I went to school for what I am working in right now. I am just a base tech right now and have always wanted to advance in the company. However, the job requires re-location and working with completely new people.

I have worked for this company for 27 months now and have proven myself and became very knowledgeable in my field. My manager rates me at the highest out of the 12 other guys that work there, except one outstanding tech that also works with me, he rates us as a tie, both have strong qualities in different aspects (though I think he likes him more because he's cool as hell ) I enjoy working with each and every guy that works there, all of them are great people, great workers and great friends.

The area I would be transferring to would be a location farther from home (8 hours instead of 6.5 hours where I am now. I moved already 27 months ago to accept this job) but closer to what I love doing (rock crawling) It moves me almost 4 hours closer to all the good areas of wheeling in the Midwest (normally a 11 hour drive one way)

I am still young at age 22 and almost the youngest in the company to ever become a lead technician, maybe I am scared of the change, or scared of the responsibility, but I know I can handle it... I am not sure really, butterflies in the stomach feeling every time I think about it. It is too early to make an absolute decision and I need some time to think about it.

My question is, would you take this opportunity? Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Hell yes I'd take that! Good job, working hard pays off and a lot of younger people just don't get that these days. Congrats to you!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Yes take the job. You are young enough to explore diff job offers and as posted above they are seldom given to younger guys. Do It
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Hell yes I'd take that! Good job, working hard pays off and a lot of younger people just don't get that these days. Congrats to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
Yes take the job. You are young enough to explore diff job offers and as posted above they are seldom given to younger guys. Do It
Thanks, still need to think about it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
If you think the job will benefit you in the long run, I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
undecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Adam
undecided's Tacoma Gallery
From my past experience, I would go for the job. I passed on a great opportunity at 21 for all the wrong reasons. The worst that could happen is you go for the job and figure out its not for you. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Its a promotion recommended to you by your superior. That speaks volumes about your character and skills at such a young age.

2. It is obviously working in a field that you enjoy since you have been there for over 2 years.

3. Try and negotiate for moving expenses. If the company was no, it's not a big deal. Job related moving expenses are tax deductible don't worry about it.

4. You are going to live closer to areas that help support your habit that is wheeln'. Don't be afraid, that's why you have TW to support you for this job and that dirty habit you have grown to love so much
Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
1.5 hours is not that much further from home. Is this somewhere you want to put roots down? Live your life with THE END in mind. Make a Pro/Con list. Clear the water during the interview about the things you are unsure of. Ask to meet the people you would be working with. Do your homework. Change is good, but you need to at least think about it. Those butterflies in your stomach mean that you are alive!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Take the job out of it, and ask yourself where you would like to live. Jobs come and go.....
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Av8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Av8er's Tacoma Gallery
"am still young at age 22 and almost the youngest in the company to ever become a lead technician, maybe I am scared of the change, or scared of the responsibility, but I know I can handle it... I am not sure really, butterflies in the stomach feeling every time I think about it. It is too early to make an absolute decision and I need some time to think about it."

Success isn't easy these days. Success comes from one's innate ability to decipher between a good fit with upward movement potential with little risk versus one that provides only minor upward, or even lateral movement with a high amount of risk associated. The real trick is to determine the level of risk associated with any given opportunity to be relatively low so that your return on investment (time and effort) is rewarded for both you and your employer. Success in a new position comes not just from one's general abilities per say, but an individual's natural instinct and ability to learn in order to build upon experience already obtained.

YOU are your biggest detriment to getting that position if you allow yourself to be. First and foremost age has nothing to do with it! Don't limit yourself just because your the youngest. I can't tell you how many times I got the "are you old enough to be a pilot" and "your way to young to fly this thing" bit from people during boarding. Also totally forget about the "cool" guy. He wants you to think that he's buddy buddy and a shoe in for the postion. If you let him into your head in that capacity then you've lost focus and he has the upper hand. Plus most employers don't want the cool guy, they want someone that will show results. Let him worry about that crap and you focus on you and you alone.

You sound very confident in your abilities and desire to progress to this position. Run with it! Use THAT as your motivation and do not waste energy on other variables which you can't control.

Risk is inevitable in every decision we make in life. Those with the capacity to take the initiative and run with it, may indeed fail, but they will gain the experience of a failed attempt and apply that knowledge to the next opportunity by making changes in their approach. (trial and error). Those that succeed see a return on their investments and see growth throughout their career.

On the flip side there are those who fail to act in a timely manner due to "paralysis by analysis". They over analyze each opportunity and therefor lose out on the chance of forward advancement. In other words you'll never know if it's a good fit, until you try it on!!

If you believe the transition to be within a reasonable amount of return for the risk, then take that initiative, confidence, and experience and dive in 100%. But remember to STAY FOCUSED on the big picture which is YOU in THAT position and nothing else.

So to sum all this crap up, if it's indeed a position you want, then go for it and have fun! If it doesn't work out, who cares! There will be plenty more opportunities throughout your career-

Good luck buddy-

Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
If you think the job will benefit you in the long run, I wouldn't hesitate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Take the job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
From my past experience, I would go for the job. I passed on a great opportunity at 21 for all the wrong reasons. The worst that could happen is you go for the job and figure out its not for you. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Its a promotion recommended to you by your superior. That speaks volumes about your character and skills at such a young age.

2. It is obviously working in a field that you enjoy since you have been there for over 2 years.

3. Try and negotiate for moving expenses. If the company was no, it's not a big deal. Job related moving expenses are tax deductible don't worry about it.

4. You are going to live closer to areas that help support your habit that is wheeln'. Don't be afraid, that's why you have TW to support you for this job and that dirty habit you have grown to love so much
TW Support FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa1066 View Post
1.5 hours is not that much further from home. Is this somewhere you want to put roots down? Live your life with THE END in mind. Make a Pro/Con list. Clear the water during the interview about the things you are unsure of. Ask to meet the people you would be working with. Do your homework. Change is good, but you need to at least think about it. Those butterflies in your stomach mean that you are alive!
Good idea, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp1 View Post
Take the job out of it, and ask yourself where you would like to live. Jobs come and go.....
Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
"am still young at age 22 and almost the youngest in the company to ever become a lead technician, maybe I am scared of the change, or scared of the responsibility, but I know I can handle it... I am not sure really, butterflies in the stomach feeling every time I think about it. It is too early to make an absolute decision and I need some time to think about it."

Success isn't easy these days. Success comes from one's innate ability to decipher between a good fit with upward movement potential with little risk versus one that provides only minor upward, or even lateral movement with a high amount of risk associated. The real trick is to determine the level of risk associated with any given opportunity to be relatively low so that your return on investment (time and effort) is rewarded for both you and your employer. Success in a new position comes not just from one's general abilities per say, but an individual's natural instinct and ability to learn in order to build upon experience already obtained.

YOU are your biggest detriment to getting that position if you allow yourself to be. First and foremost age has nothing to do with it! Don't limit yourself just because your the youngest. I can't tell you how many times I got the "are you old enough to be a pilot" and "your way to young to fly this thing" bit from people during boarding. Also totally forget about the "cool" guy. He wants you to think that he's buddy buddy and a shoe in for the postion. If you let him into your head in that capacity then you've lost focus and he has the upper hand. Plus most employers don't want the cool guy, they want someone that will show results. Let him worry about that crap and you focus on you and you alone.

You sound very confident in your abilities and desire to progress to this position. Run with it! Use THAT as your motivation and do not waste energy on other variables which you can't control.

Risk is inevitable in every decision we make in life. Those with the capacity to take the initiative and run with it, may indeed fail, but they will gain the experience of a failed attempt and apply that knowledge to the next opportunity by making changes in their approach. (trial and error). Those that succeed see a return on their investments and see growth throughout their career.

On the flip side there are those who fail to act in a timely manner due to "paralysis by analysis". They over analyze each opportunity and therefor lose out on the chance of forward advancement. In other words you'll never know if it's a good fit, until you try it on!!

If you believe the transition to be within a reasonable amount of return for the risk, then take that initiative, confidence, and experience and dive in 100%. But remember to STAY FOCUSED on the big picture which is YOU in THAT position and nothing else.

So to sum all this crap up, if it's indeed a position you want, then go for it and have fun! If it doesn't work out, who cares! There will be plenty more opportunities throughout your career-

Good luck buddy-

Well said, thanks for that
Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

After my phone interview yesterday I was able to ask some questions to find out more about the job... Some things really didn't add up to be a pro however..

The job only pays $1.50 more, but the cost of living there is $150-300 more a month rent. OT is half or less than it is now, less On-call days (Our on call days are paid no matter if you work or not)

I need to do more thinking and am going to ask for more money because I don't want to go backwards in money... Especially if I have to move.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I was always told never pass up a testing process.(in the field I work in) So I would say never pass up an opportunity to advance and better your life in your field.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Update here...

I ended up turning down the position because of housing costs and I wasn't sure I even wanted to move, not to mention meeting new people and such...

They hired a person within the site that works there and he was fired a month later due to violating safety... so the position re-opened again.

I further looked into it thinking it was "a sign" of some sort... So I asked the manager if I could go check it out by working there for a couple weeks. Getting to know the people, the area, and such... Well after the 2 weeks I was offered the position again. This time I accepted the position and am happy that I am advancing in my career with the same company and hope to continue!

Thanks guys.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
smart kid!!

i dont really tell my supervisors "no". especially not when i was young and early in my career. good move!