Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Professional Engineer--Thank goodness!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Professional Engineer--Thank goodness!

Found out I passed the PE this morning! Felt like a ton of weight has been lifted off my shoulders! Good luck to anyone else waiting to find out.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
high five!! great feeling..congrats
Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome!!! Now you can officially make decisions!! Congratulations man!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, now you can stamp drawings...how are you on reinforced concrete design in blast loading applications?

Howard
Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, congratulations. I passed the GA EIT many years ago, only because it was a requirement at the time for a job transition where I work.

That was one full day's maximum effort, as I recall. Never got around to or even dared attempting the PE.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
dsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DSJ
dsjones5's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats! I will have to take it in a couple years.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats!! I am gathering study materials now - going to take the Civil PE exam in April....Which discipline did you take? Also, how much study time do you estimate you put in? Currently I am planning on 4-6 months of nightly studying.

Now when you tell people you are a PE, they will say "you had to take a test to be a gym teacher?"
Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats! Huge achievement. Do you have to do seismic and surveying in GA?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
high five!! great feeling..congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
Awesome!!! Now you can officially make decisions!! Congratulations man!
Maybe for somebody I don't know about my current employer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
Cool, now you can stamp drawings...how are you on reinforced concrete design in blast loading applications?

Howard
No clue on that one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Awesome, congratulations. I passed the GA EIT many years ago, only because it was a requirement at the time for a job transition where I work.

That was one full day's maximum effort, as I recall. Never got around to or even dared attempting the PE.
EIT and PE are both 8 hour long test. Fun times...not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjones5 View Post
Congrats! I will have to take it in a couple years.
Good luck when you get there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
Congrats!! I am gathering study materials now - going to take the Civil PE exam in April....Which discipline did you take? Also, how much study time do you estimate you put in? Currently I am planning on 4-6 months of nightly studying.

Now when you tell people you are a PE, they will say "you had to take a test to be a gym teacher?"
I took the transportation section. Morning was general obviously afternoon was for transportation. I failed it the first time I took it but I did to much review and refreshing vs just working problems. Working problems I believe is the key. The second time all I did was work problems. I took a practice test at the very beginning, broke it up took morning part on like a saturday then reviewed that afternoon problems i missed or didn't get, Sunday took the afternoon part. That kind of give you a starting point. After that I probably worked about 40 problems in each section which broke out to two nights a week of about two hours, probably 4 hours every friday, probably six hours min. every saturday and Sunday so whatever that works out to be. I wanna say I put in a good two months definatley not 6 monthes of that. The weekend before the test took half of a different practice exam again then reviewed answers in the afternoon. then the next day took afternoon section. Made like a 74 on that which set me up to have a positive good week before the exam. I reviewed a few things the day before the exam and that was it for that week. Then went in and took it. Hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
No we don't have to do seismic stuff or surveying that I know of. I dont do the surveying I let the surveyors do that stuff. I work for a Civil firm and we have Surveyors in house.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtopgun515 View Post
No we don't have to do seismic stuff or surveying that I know of. I dont do the surveying I let the surveyors do that stuff. I work for a Civil firm and we have Surveyors in house.
I meant in the exam. In CA for civil, there are seismic and surveying sections to the test, and they are a big pain. And all the survey stuff is ancient. Drove my wife nuts, and some of her peers have still not passed because of it.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
That civil eng survey book by Lui saved my butt. It is yellow and blue. I did all the probs in 40 hrs. Took a week off. Aced the test.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats!! Now watch out for the lawyers.

Quote:
hey screw you and you sig quotes.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #13

Quote:
I meant in the xam. In CA for civil, there are seismic and surveying sections to the test, and they are a big pain. And all the survey stuff is ancient. Drove my wife nuts, and some of her peers have still not passed because of it.
There are a few questions that relate to survey with azimuth and bearing type stuff but nothing major. Yall have to deal with earthquakes in Cali thankfully we don't have those in Georgia!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Thanks and seriously!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #15
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I sat for the EIT exam decades ago, and having a Mechanical Engineering background, it didn't apply much. Later, I got involved in the Safety Engineering Community and our version is CSP, Certified Safety Professional, where the first half looks just like the EIT. Eventually, I started teaching the review class and my skill level climbed. Perhaps it is time for me to retake the PE exam in structural and see how I do:-)

Howard
Old 05-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
I sat for the EIT exam decades ago, and having a Mechanical Engineering background, it didn't apply much. Later, I got involved in the Safety Engineering Community and our version is CSP, Certified Safety Professional, where the first half looks just like the EIT. Eventually, I started teaching the review class and my skill level climbed. Perhaps it is time for me to retake the PE exam in structural and see how I do:-)

Howard
If I had to choose I wouldn't be choosing the Structural exam! I've heard it is pretty difficult but I dont do that stuff everyday either. I took the Civil exam and choose the Transportation portion for the afternoon.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #17
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post

hey screw you and you sig quotes.
lol. I needed some fresh meat.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtopgun515 View Post
If I had to choose I wouldn't be choosing the Structural exam! I've heard it is pretty difficult but I dont do that stuff everyday either. I took the Civil exam and choose the Transportation portion for the afternoon.
I actually spend a fair amount of time looking at structural design of reinforced concrete...my specialty is designing structures that produce explosives to withstand expected events...very specialized.

I need to look into it more...

but again, a PE is big achievement...

Howard
Old 05-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
the structure IS the explosive?
Old 05-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
congrats man!

although ME FTFW