1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Those Juggling Full-Time AND Part-Time Jobs??

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by JWaldz, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Jul 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    JWaldz

JWaldz [OP] It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    I'm 26 and currently work an 8-5 full time job. I make enough to pay my bills and what not but I would like to have some extra cash for rainy days, savings, more towards school loans, etc etc... I'm thinking of picking up a part-time 2nd job but I don't know exactly where to look? It would have to be at least 6pm before I could clock in and don't think it would be a good idea to work past 11pm or 12am considering I have to get up at 6am every day. I'm just looking for some suggestions or ideas on the kinds of jobs out there that might fall into this category. It doesn't have to be a high paying job but at the same time I don't want to work my ass off at a shitty job with lazy piece of trash co-workers for absolutely suck ass pay. I've been there, done that. I do have jobs in mind but I'm trying to figure out other possibilities that I have not thought of. So, any ideas? Thanks.

2. Jul 9, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    I used to run the gauntlet a few years ago while working during the day at a civil engineering consultant firm, then put on my green collared shirt and drove over to Dicks Sporting Goods for the closing shift. I pulled in $9.25 an hour and didn't really have to do too much other than clean my departments from the days hustle and bustle. All the updates were already taken care of from the morning crew, I would just stock the shelves when needed.

I got hours from 5 PM to 10:00 PM (closing) and had to do the odd weekend day shift to keep peace with everyone. While I wasn't making bank, it helped with bills and made it easy to spend a hundred bucks without staring at my bank account. I sometimes debate going back because it really was easy money.

3. Jul 9, 2013 at 6:03 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Find a local shop that pays you under the table, that's what I used to do.

4. Jul 9, 2013 at 6:03 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Office cleaning. It's simple and mindless enough work, most of the night you're inside..plus it's a set schedule and usually means weekends off. I did that in college and held onto it for a year after just to pay down my loans faster.

I currently serve on the board of directors for the Minute Man Dart League. To a point I work on my own pace although I do have deadlines. Not a lot of money but it pays for my truck payment, plus I get a perk or 2 like a free phone.

5. Jul 9, 2013 at 6:19 AM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    I know most jobs are going to want a 5 to whatever employee but I get off at 5 so best I can offer is 6. Mainly because getting from where I work currently to anywhere else during 5pm traffic takes a while. I'd LOVE to have an under the table job that pays cash so I don't have to deal with taxes and filing. I get screwed enough with taxes from my day job as it is. I was thinking Kroger, Walmart, or some other big corp store that stays open late that probably doesn't mind a random shift employee. However, a lot of those places are union jobs and I know exactly what I'm going to run into with that.

6. Jul 9, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    One of my crews had a guy who got there a little late for the same reason..wasn't an issue in that line of work.

7. Jul 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Start your own part time biz. Do you have any skills such as construction? I have had a part time biz gig the last 15 years installing Radiofence pet containment systems. I have buddies that do decks or small concrete projects on the side and make good money also. Also hunting or fishing guides computer repair etc.

8. Jul 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    I mean I have tons of qualities and skills I could easily use but putting them towards my own business is more commitment than I'm willing to tackle at the moment. To be successful would require a bit of time and money, which I don't have enough of either for such a thing. One thing I do for a small amount of extra money is help one of my previous co-workes in the alarm/access control business who started sub-contracting after I left. Every now and then I'll help him with an evening job but it's maybe once a month if that.

9. Jul 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    what is your main gig?

6pm and on sounds like office cleaning or something in the restaurant biz.

10. Jul 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    AutoCad Drafter for Mechanical Engineering Firm. I'm still recently out of school and within my 1st year of working this job. In fact my year mark is next month, so I'm hoping for a raise. Still would like a 2nd job for the extra cash though. I don't mind office cleaning, should be easy and indoors. Will have to look into that. I did the server gig for a while back in college. Was great money but I don't know how well only getting there at 6 will turn out. I think a lot of restaurant shifts start at 4:30 - 5 to prep for the dinner rush that typically starts around 6.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  11. Jul 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Starting a business is daunting when you consider insurance, licensing, equipment, accounting, etc. but could be a solid investment for the future. Also, ideally it would be something you enjoy, vs. a sucky low paying gig for somebody else's gain.

12. Jul 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    can you do CAD drawings for homeowners submitting plans to the city for home restorations?

i have a CE buddy that makes a decent side salary doing just that.

13. Jul 10, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    Would be cool to have my own small part-time business but like I said, it's a big commitment and I don't have the time or money to invest in one right now. My main focus in school was actually doing residential and commercial building design but I took the first job I could get my hands on and landed myself at a Mechanical Engineering firm. Quite a learning curve and since I have no experience in it it lowers my pay compared to what I would probably make in an Architectural field. I have the fundamentals as far as using cad down, just not the standards for the field I'm in now. I could try to reach out and do some residential cad work for home owners. Might look into that as well.

14. Jul 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    NYNURSE

NYNURSE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rye, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover Window tint
    Some "Old Man" advice from somebody you has worked two jobs in 2 different fields his entire adult life;
    Get through your first evaluation before you get another job. Your employer is teaching you a craft. He expects your full attention and dedication.
    If you do get a second job, you can admit to it but don't let it become the center of conversation.
    If your first evaluation is less then Very Good, do not get a second job. If you do get another job, never talk about it at work. Don't lie about it, just try not to talk about it.
    Your primary job is your primary source of income. Protect it.

15. Jul 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    yea. go to your construction permit office and put up a flyer offering CAD services.

team up with a Civil Eng, doing construction work on the side.

16. Jul 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Some good advice here already, but I'd be careful to advertise for your CAD services. Not unless you could discus it with your employer. Check your employee handbook on their moonlighting policies, if they have one.

To Top