Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Career change after 40? Experiences?

Old 10-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #41
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery

Change is good. I think that's all my young self is allowed to offer peeps like y'all in here. I'm a young buck compared to y'all.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #42
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFTRD View Post
I think you made the right choice! I'm 32 and have been working on an ambulance for 10 years! Change is scary no doubt! I am now waiting patiently to be called out for a completely different trade

From an ambulance to a line worker?? Holy crap, what do you do for recreation, have people shoot at you with live rounds while you dodge them? Man, you must like adrenaline.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #43
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to Thank you all for reading & supporting me thru this!

I was given a job offer yesterday morning and I TOOK IT!!

Yea!!! I start December 9th!! I can't believe this is actually happening! I hope I can be as successful with this as I have been with my current job.

I Thank You ALL!! Feel free to discuss you're own experiences or venting here!!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #44
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I wanted to Thank you all for reading & supporting me thru this!

I was given a job offer yesterday morning and I TOOK IT!!

Yea!!! I start December 9th!! I can't believe this is actually happening! I hope I can be as successful with this as I have been with my current job.

I Thank You ALL!! Feel free to discuss you're own experiences or venting here!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You'll be great!!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #46
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
I could go for a change myself.. My workplace pretty much sucks. I've been here for fifteen years and am very much so over it.. I work for a small company run by a split partnership.. Bother owners are old, grumpy, and not getting along very well. SO over the gossip - and sick to death of my line of work..

As a wise old man once told me: Work to live, Don't live to Work..
Old 11-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #47
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
How the hell did I miss the 26 Oct update? ... damn sometimers again

Congratulations Janster! Very happy for you and yours.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #48
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Wow what a great thread and an inspiration to those in a similar situation, like myself.
Really over my job, been doing it for 16 years now and could use a change BIG TIME. Unfortunately it’s a timing thing for me, just not a good time for me to make a major change.

Seriously though, thanks for sharing and posting up on your progress. Most importantly congratulations!!!! I can only imagine how difficult this must have been for you.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #49
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
I could go for a change myself.. My workplace pretty much sucks. I've been here for fifteen years and am very much so over it.. I work for a small company run by a split partnership.. Bother owners are old, grumpy, and not getting along very well. SO over the gossip - and sick to death of my line of work..

As a wise old man once told me: Work to live, Don't live to Work..
Amen!! Start looking for other opportunities and see what's out there. You could totally miss that one perfect opportunity if you're not looking for it. It's tough...It was just last summer that I started thinking seriously about moving on. With the way the job market & economy has been, I was prepared to wait for YEARS for any opportunities to come up. All this happened faster than I expected!!
It's still surreal at this point....as I await my final days here.

Go for it!!! Do you want to continue to live / work like this for ....XX years until retirement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
How the hell did I miss the 26 Oct update? ... damn sometimers again

Congratulations Janster! Very happy for you and yours.
Thanks!! I really an excited to make this work!!

(I'm a 'sometimer' - or 'raretimer'. This forum always brings me back from time to time)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #50
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
Wow what a great thread and an inspiration to those in a similar situation, like myself.
Really over my job, been doing it for 16 years now and could use a change BIG TIME. Unfortunately itís a timing thing for me, just not a good time for me to make a major change.

Seriously though, thanks for sharing and posting up on your progress. Most importantly congratulations!!!! I can only imagine how difficult this must have been for you.
Thanks!!

I completely understand the 'timing'. Money & timing...... If you would've asked me 10 years ago, I was in my prime (of my job) and loving the cash flow.
Cash flow is good...... when you're aiming to get ahead financially. It just took us this long to get ahead.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:55 AM   #51
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Greetings Gang!!

I started the new job this past Monday. To refresh, it's an entry level accounting position and I'll be billing (writing invoices) to the customers of the products I used to produce in my old job.

That first day was obviously the worst, as I felt like hiding in a corner. But as the days went forward, I began to feel more like myself again. Everyone is so nice and the content that I'm learning is very interesting to me..... The department is going thru a major overhaul. A lot of new folks within the last year or so and a couple have only been there 6 months. There are 6 new folks (including myself) who start official training in January. So, I'm not alone. It feels like a made the right decision and I'm relieved that I'm gaining 'comfort' with the new changes.

So, if anyone who reads this thread and has been considering changing careers..... feel free to VENT and express your experiences. And again, I THANK everyone for listening and wish you all the very best!!

Happy Holidays to you!!
Old 12-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #52
The Messiah
tacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomatrd99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Greetings Gang!!

I started the new job this past Monday. To refresh, it's an entry level accounting position and I'll be billing (writing invoices) to the customers of the products I used to produce in my old job.

That first day was obviously the worst, as I felt like hiding in a corner. But as the days went forward, I began to feel more like myself again. Everyone is so nice and the content that I'm learning is very interesting to me..... The department is going thru a major overhaul. A lot of new folks within the last year or so and a couple have only been there 6 months. There are 6 new folks (including myself) who start official training in January. So, I'm not alone. It feels like a made the right decision and I'm relieved that I'm gaining 'comfort' with the new changes.

So, if anyone who reads this thread and has been considering changing careers..... feel free to VENT and express your experiences. And again, I THANK everyone for listening and wish you all the very best!!

Happy Holidays to you!!
Don't know how but this is the first time I'm seeing this thread. Good luck, you'll be great! In my experience, you'll be moving ahead in no time. Field workers know how to think on their feet and outside the box for solutions. Juar remember to not be afraid to voice your ideas when they are looking for feedback on how to improve things. 2.5 years ago, I left a mostly field job and applied for a full project management position with an elevator company. After a year, I was made head of the project management department and assistant to the operations manager. Went from driving a beat up company truck to a company Cadillac.

Keep us posted!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #53
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd99 View Post
Don't know how but this is the first time I'm seeing this thread. Good luck, you'll be great! In my experience, you'll be moving ahead in no time. Field workers know how to think on their feet and outside the box for solutions. Juar remember to not be afraid to voice your ideas when they are looking for feedback on how to improve things. 2.5 years ago, I left a mostly field job and applied for a full project management position with an elevator company. After a year, I was made head of the project management department and assistant to the operations manager. Went from driving a beat up company truck to a company Cadillac.

Keep us posted!
Thanks!! Congrats to you for climbing the corporate ladder yourself!! I'm not too concerned about climbing any further, but.....if they feel I have the skills - that will remain to be seen.

Until official training begins, there's really not much I'm doing right now. It's weird... I'm just clicking around in the different systems, clicking around in the 10 or so network drives reading and looking at files & things, taking online courses & such. I'm doing a few administrative tasks here and there.....
I'm used to always being 'busy' and being 5 steps ahead of the game (in my other job) - but right now, I'm practically bored trying to keep myself busy. Everyone else in the department are busy with month-end and year-end reports that they don't have time. Today - I asked my boss about something within one of the systems...and she didn't even know how to answer. Is that good or bad? LOL
Old 02-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #54
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
It's been a few weeks now... how's the new job going?
Old 02-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #55
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
It's been a few weeks now... how's the new job going?
It still sucks.

Oh sorry, you must be talking to Jan.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #56
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
It still sucks.

Oh sorry, you must be talking to Jan.
Did you get a new job, too?