Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Career change after 40? Experiences?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Career change after 40? Experiences?

This could be 'I'm venting' thread or just a 'I'm nervous' thread looking for some folks who have gone thru a major career change after age 40...

I've been working for the same company for 19 years - factory work, concrete floors & steal toed shoes, shift work & working every other weekend. I've been a Machine Operator for 18 years and have been at the top of my game for many many years. And then...you get older and the weekend work & shift work has really been nagging at my life outside of work. They call it 'Quality of Work Life'. I've been thinking about a career change but scared to death about actually doing it.

I recently applied for a job internally with the same company. Entry level Accounting, desk job, No weekends, day shift.... I've had an interview last week (went well) and I have a 2nd (phone) interview on Monday. BIG pay cut but worth the 'time' I will gain and a regular lifestyle. It's a BILLER job writing invoices for the work that I've produced on the machinery - so they literally drool over people who are familiar with the manufacturing process and why I think I have half a chance.

Has anyone else gone thru a MAJOR career change after the age of 40?

I've got so many thoughts running thru my mind if I'm offered the job. Excited yet nervous & somewhat scared (to put it honestly). Starting all over at this age and a completely and totally different career?

What have you gone thru and how did it work out for you?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's usually difficult to do this but I believe positives going for you are that it's the same company,and you have experience on the other end of the invoices..

Good luck Jan! I bet you'll be fine... Just gotta get used to sitting in a cubicle instead of running a machine.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
It's doable, but stressfull. I am not 40, nor have I changed carreers, but I do work in Finance (not accounting).

Not sure about your company, but many Finance/Accounting jobs can be very stressfull, and time consuming. For instance, every quarter, we close the books. This causes us to work 60-70 hours a week for 2 weeks, and work a Saturday every quarter. Not to mention we also do monthly forecasts and majore budgets twice a year. Not as many Saturdays as your current job, but sometimes I feel I don't have enough work/life balance.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery

"Sometimes you gotta say, what the F*. What the F* gives you freedom. Freedom brings opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future"

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
TakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
TakDwn's Tacoma Gallery
Been there....done that. SOOO happy I did.

You only get one shot to enjoy this life. It's tough to enjoy time with friends and family when you're working odd shifts/hours. Make the sacrifice now, you still have 20+ years to work. Pay increases will come with time.

I wish I'd made the change YEARS ago. Good luck with the interviews.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Guys!!

I've heard (from other billers) that there is a rush to close out jobs/invoices before the end of the month. However - the amount of work that needs closed can vary. Jobs are not 'regularly' scheduled and even invoice deadlines vary from account to account. From what I've been told, majority of the work is 'looking' for the information (materials/counts) needed to include on the invoices from the different departments. This work is entry level and is only writing invoices to the accounts. I won't be balancing books, figuring out profit margins, or any of that stuff (Thank God!).

I had a 2nd interview (phone) this past Monday. The interview went well. All the Supervisors are aware of it and have wished me luck. I'm in 'stand by' mode waiting to hear something..... and I think my mind is going crazy waiting.

If it happens it happens....if not...I'll continue to look. Still have butterflies.... because I'm just nervous.

They say it'll take 3 months before they start giving you work on your own. The next 3 months - your work is checked by someone else. After about 6 months, you're fully on your own. That probably varies depending on how fast you learn.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Your situation is similar to mine when I retired from active duty Air Force. Spent most of my active duty career in control centers directing, controlling, and supporting airlift operations. Retired 4 years ago, and was hired into civil service with the Air Force (same squadron I retired from) as a Load Planner. I had to learn all the technical aspects of load planning (acft weight and balance calculation, cargo restraint, and a lot of aircraft specific technical stuff), but my familiarity with airlift operations and the overall system, made the change relatively comfortable; and also different enough that it's interesting and I'm not doing the exact same thing for another 20-25 years. My quality of life is significantly improved compared to the demands of active duty, as I spent the second half of my active duty career in various Superintendent positions. Now I'm basically a worker with little supervisory responsibility and a consistent work schedule.

I guess that's a lot of words to say you'll be fine. Your familiarity with the company and it's processes means you only need to learn the technical aspects of billing/accounting. Improving your quality of life is more than worth it. I think we reach a point that quality of life means a heck of a lot more than the size of the pay check.

Hope this helps, or at least makes sense. Best of luck.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Improving your quality of life is more than worth it. I think we reach a point that quality of life means a heck of a lot more than the size of the pay check.

Hope this helps, or at least makes sense. Best of luck.
Thanks!

I just can't imagine what it feels like to work normal hours!!

Just got an email and scheduled an appointment with the department Supervisor. They say they have more questions for me. Ekkk!

I wish I could learn to relax. These nerves are driving me nuts!!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Thanks!

I just can't imagine what it feels like to work normal hours!!

Just got an email and scheduled an appointment with the department Supervisor. They say they have more questions for me. Ekkk!

I wish I could learn to relax. These nerves are driving me nuts!!
Take a deep breath and remind yourself that in your heart YOU KNOW it's the right path for you at this time in your life. I say that with confidence because I don't think you'd be asking the question if it wasn't so. Big changes are scary, but often have the best outcome. Stay confident.

Reading between the lines, they're bringing you back in because you're on the short list. Corporate knowledge and a positive reputation in the company go a long way....that's why I'm working today in the same squadron I was a member of when I retired from active duty. Some might call it favoritism...but it's how things work in the real world.

Again, best of luck!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Good Luck Janster!!! Hope you get the job!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
stumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stumblestacks's Tacoma Gallery
I say go with it if you think it's time for a change. $ doesn't buy quality of life. I worked from 5pm to 5am for 9 years. Made a ton of $, but the schedule took a heavy toll on my life. Sleeping patterns, relationships, even my days off were useless due to my schedule. I switched to a more "normal" schedule (5am to 5pm) in April and even though I make less $, I'm happier than I've been in a long time. You've probably already made your move, hope it worked out for the best.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Has anyone else gone thru a MAJOR career change after the age of 40?

I've got so many thoughts running thru my mind if I'm offered the job. Excited yet nervous & somewhat scared (to put it honestly). Starting all over at this age and a completely and totally different career?

What have you gone thru and how did it work out for you?
I did at 36......42 now & it was the best thing I ever did. Changing my path at 20 years old, I wouldn't have blinked an eye. At 36, it was scary as Hell. But so glad I did.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Take a deep breath and remind yourself that in your heart YOU KNOW it's the right path for you at this time in your life. I say that with confidence because I don't think you'd be asking the question if it wasn't so. Big changes are scary, but often have the best outcome. Stay confident.
I truly feel I can do the job without any problems - it's the want/need to be GOOD at it. I expect myself to be better than average.... which, keeps my own personal 'drive' going. But at the same time - I have to remind myself to slow down, pay attention, and don't screw up!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Good Luck Janster!!! Hope you get the job!!!
Thanks!!
The one thing I never mentioned - another Machine Operator (similar to myself) got this very same job about 3 months ago. I kinda got the idea from her.....I would've never considered taking on accounting job EVER.
Go figure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblestacks View Post
I say go with it if you think it's time for a change. $ doesn't buy quality of life. I worked from 5pm to 5am for 9 years. Made a ton of $, but the schedule took a heavy toll on my life. Sleeping patterns, relationships, even my days off were useless due to my schedule. I switched to a more "normal" schedule (5am to 5pm) in April and even though I make less $, I'm happier than I've been in a long time. You've probably already made your move, hope it worked out for the best.
I'm excited thinking about it! Have another meeting yet. I hope I get some good news (Wednesday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
I did at 36......42 now & it was the best thing I ever did. Changing my path at 20 years old, I wouldn't have blinked an eye. At 36, it was scary as Hell. But so glad I did.
It's funny looking back ....I wished I would've known the importance of Quality of Work/Life & regular work schedule - I would've looked for other options long ago. But then again.... when you're first starting out, you take what you can get to 'get in the door'. You don't know how your financial security will look like as you get older. And then....you realize time has flown by, you're old, and wonder...WTF happened to all that time? LOL
Old 10-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #14
Chief Pal Guy

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I truly feel I can do the job without any problems - it's the want/need to be GOOD at it. I expect myself to be better than average.... which, keeps my own personal 'drive' going. But at the same time - I have to remind myself to slow down, pay attention, and don't screw up!!! LOL

It's funny looking back ....I wished I would've known the importance of Quality of Work/Life & regular work schedule - I would've looked for other options long ago. But then again.... when you're first starting out, you take what you can get to 'get in the door'. You don't know how your financial security will look like as you get older. And then....you realize time has flown by, you're old, and wonder...WTF happened to all that time? LOL
1) That's why you'll get the job!
2) Still trying to figure out WTF happened to all that time.

I'll check back in Wednesday to read you got the job.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Any updates?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #17
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Well..... I had the 3rd interview and it went OK. They went more 'in-depth' with what the position is and what its about. The interview didn't 'feel right'.
After I left - something wasn't right. I suddenly didn't feel good about things.

I was stressed all night long and couldn't eat or sleep.....stewing over this & whether its the right thing to do.

I think I have everything they/I need to do the job - its just such a drastic change and I'm not certain its for me .....at the current time.

I got cold feet...Perhaps its a sign .....I don't know.

It sucks and I feel like shit this morning. I think I'm going to call them this morning and tell them 'I don't think its the right thing for me at the current time'.

I'd rather find this out now....than later. I still have a job.... and I should just move on. Did I mention, I feel like shit....?

Thanks for listening gang....its nice just to vent. I guess I'll just keep looking.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #18
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Update Part II

My husband insisted I call them on the phone.

So, I called and talked with the supervisor and told them I wasn't sure about being a good fit. She continues to talk to me for the next 30 minutes convincing me that I have everything I need to do a very good job and they're going to offer me the job. They've been very nice and will do everything to get you moving along and learn. They also understand my situation....and being scared of making a major change.

I'm such a mess.... And maybe I just need the encouragement. ????

Frick, frick, frick
Old 10-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Take the dive!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #20
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
You can do it!!! Go for it!! Try something new. It'll be a little scary at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be great. Just think the hours / days you will be working, instead of weekends.