1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody Do Repo's?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by 1993t100, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Jan 6, 2014 at 10:01 PM
    1993t100

1993t100 [OP] I’m good looking and I drive a Jeep.

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Sexy
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    For the longest time I've wanted to be an OTR truck driver. I'm a very independent person, I like to drive, I don't really plan on having a family at all, and I just think that'd be an awesome career. For the longest time that's what I've wanted to do.

Lately however, (and now that I've grown up more) I know that the pay isn't the greatest unless you go O/O and that could take years.

I don't want to sit at a desk, or stare at a computer all day. I've strongly considered buying a diesel truck and throwing a boom on the back to start repossessions for the banks. Not sure if that's such a great industry to go into. Anyone ever do this?

I think that if OTR trucking doesn't work out for me that's my next goal. Doing the investigative work to find cars, then hooking them, driving a diesel all day, it just sounds like a perfect date :rolleyes:

Haha, anyone's welcome to chime in if they have an opinion! :) Oh, in case you didn't know, I'm 17 with about 5 months left of HS...so I'm def. not in any hurry to pick a career.

2. Jan 9, 2014 at 1:11 AM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    Popping cars is not very glamorous. You are a tow truck driver. No money unless you find the car. Lots of driving around.
    Ust to work for a bank and went on a few ride alongs. Stayed up all night driving around looking for cars. Found one and almost got shot.

3. Jan 9, 2014 at 2:13 AM
    Nick82

Nick82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Richmond ky
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB MGM 4x4 sport tow nav
    ARB winch bumper
    Around here most repos are done by towing company's, therefore you would most likely have to get a job with a towing company and after getting some experience maybe start doing a few repos here and there between tow jobs.

4. Jan 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

11SuperwhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    11 Super White TRD Off Road w JBL
    AFE cai, MBRP cat back, TonnoPro hard folding cover, Weather Tech's
    I used to repo back in 2002 for about a year. It was the funnest job I have ever done. I also have my cdl and refused to go over the road. I got lucky and got a local job but this is temporary till i land my apprenticeship as a linemen which was my goal when i got out of the marine corps 7 months ago. Anyway back on track the Investigating work is called skip tracing and can be a pain in the ass if you have no experience. To start your own job you need to get crazy amounts of insurance and bonds. After this you then need to go sell yourself to various banks to get work. Chances are that the work they give you to try you out won't be the easy stuff its going to be stuff nobody has gotten or for one reason or another won't go get. At start up you will most likely be working around the clock if you don't have someone to answer the phone and do office work. Now for the fun part you get some accounts and go driving looking for stuff. Good news you have a cdl so that opens the doors to more stuff you can repo. The more licenses you have the more stuff you can take. Every area has a different situation with the economy so that depends on how busy you could be. in 2002 in my area I used to get about 20 cars a week. If you are serious about it I would find a local company and see if they are hiring. Like mentioned above some tow companies do repos as well.

5. Jan 11, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    11SuperwhiteTRD

11SuperwhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    11 Super White TRD Off Road w JBL
    AFE cai, MBRP cat back, TonnoPro hard folding cover, Weather Tech's
    just saw the part that your 17. Most companies won't hire you till your 21. good luck

To Top