Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

any tower climbers out there?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
jamesrenoallen is on a distinguished road

Name: James
jamesrenoallen's Tacoma Gallery
any tower climbers out there?

are there any cell tower or microwave tower technicians out there?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Here! I was just gonna start a thread but thought I'd search first. You in the cell tower business?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrenoallen View Post
are there any cell tower or microwave tower technicians out there?
Fufufufufufuuuuuuuck no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll do 50ft to work on a traffic camera out of a bucket truck.
That's my limit.
And I don't do ladders over 8ft or free-climbing on ANYTHING.
I don't like open-basket man-lifts.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Fufufufufufuuuuuuuck no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll do 50ft to work on a traffic camera out of a bucket truck.
That's my limit.
And I don't do ladders over 8ft or free-climbing on ANYTHING.
I don't like open-basket man-lifts.
Haha. Epic. We had a guy who wasn't fond of heights. He got over it in a Manlift but the first time he climbed, he locked on for over an hour. It's dramatic for those afraid of heights, but friggin hilarious to those that aren't.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
We typically work from ground to 60 foot in every weather condition. Having done it for a while, I really think it's something people get used to. I know when I first started, it wasn't something I was exited to do...now I don't even know I'm doing it.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
SteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Ground Radar Systems Craftsman
Name: Steve
SteveO86's Tacoma Gallery
Do radar towers count? I work on a 40' Airport Surveillance Radar and a 120' Weather Radar, but that one has a radome. I know they aren't 800' microwave towers, but they does use microwaves and they are on towers haha.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
I usually have to do 10' + every day at work climbing the extension ladder since I have the pleasure of changing HVAC filters. I'm starting to get over it. There are some stores that I have to get on the 12' A frame ladder to change out a ballast. Sucks.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
Do radar towers count? I work on a 40' Airport Surveillance Radar and a 120' Weather Radar, but that one has a radome. I know they aren't 800' microwave towers, but they does use microwaves and they are on towers haha.
Most cell towers in Vegas too out at 80'. We've been on a few taller ones. My second site when I started was a 180' freestanding tower. I was standing on the top hat having a hell of a time. I worked on the larger hotel towers for years so the heights aren't that bad for me. Hell, the first week I had on a harness, I stepped out on the ledge of the 36th floor with my toes overhanging the edge and leaned forward until my lanyard grabbed me. Hanging over the I15. 'Twas awesome!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpachiZaraki View Post
I usually have to do 10' + every day at work climbing the extension ladder since I have the pleasure of changing HVAC filters. I'm starting to get over it. There are some stores that I have to get on the 12' A frame ladder to change out a ballast. Sucks.
Lol. Used a 20' A frame once. Sketch and sketch. Rather be hanging from a climbing harness 200' up.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post

Man after seeing a guy fall about 15.5 feet onto concrete, I'm not sure once your over that it makes much difference how high you are when you fall.

He lived but, I'm not sure I'd want to live the way he lives now.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
Man after seeing a guy fall about 15.5 feet onto concrete, I'm not sure once your over that it makes much difference how high you are when you fall.

He lived but, I'm not sure I'd want to live the way he lives now.
Guy fell 200' recently and lived. Man on ground broke his fall by pushing on him away as he got within reach. Shattered both man on ground arms.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #12

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Guy fell 200' recently and lived. Man on ground broke his fall by pushing on him away as he got within reach. Shattered both man on ground arms.
Yea, that's pretty amazing.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #13
jamesrenoallen is on a distinguished road

Name: James
jamesrenoallen's Tacoma Gallery
damn i work on Wind Turbine towers 300 feet+ but always tied off. a fall from that far would give you long enough to think about your life as you fall, that would suck. Anyways after 100 feet its all the same tho just don't focus on how far down it is concentrate on your job and have a healthy respect for heights without debilitating fear.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
300ft.
Yup... considering 120mph (~ terminal velocity) is 176 ft/sec, and you've got the acceleration time, you've got a good 4-5 seconds to think about it.
That would seem like an hour.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
300ft.
Yup... considering 120mph (~ terminal velocity) is 176 ft/sec, and you've got the acceleration time, you've got a good 4-5 seconds to think about it.
That would seem like an hour.
No kidding!

Even longer if the tower collapses while you're on it. Two recently experienced this.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
Willie B is on a distinguished road
Navy: ET comm
Name: Brad
Willie B's Tacoma Gallery
Did a few trips to the top of a 1500' VLF tower while in the Navy to replace lights. 10 minute elevator ride up in a tiny cage then climb the last 50'. Twas much younger then. It was a great view.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Takes balls & no fear of heights for sure....I watched some vid on that, got dizzy as hell from the comfort of my lazy boy...haha
Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
NO............. i... have never.... climbed a tower.....