1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A Career in Accounting?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by CNEDEER, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Feb 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    CNEDEER

CNEDEER [OP] If ya ain't first, your last!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    ^^^^

Your input is very much appreciated! This is exactly why I wanted to create this thread, to hear from those experienced in the field. As it stands, I am currently just taking the prereqs for the degree, so I am not currently devoted to one particular degree...

I will admit, I sound somewhat like your friend in terms of choosing accounting because "of the best employment prospects". Like I stated, my current degree isn't very versatile so I wanted something that was. As you and many others have mentioned, it seems that it wouldn't hurt to get the accounting degree, as it transfers into other fields...but given your scenario, I am NOT a person who enjoys sitting down for countless hours on end. I enjoy being on my feet I'd say 70 % of the workday...

As far as the 3rd degree noted, I am not super well versed in IT (although I have taken some general computer classes, didn't really hate them, but didn't love them either). As far as supply chain goes, I really do have an interest in that, the logistics and all that it entails fascinates me and I could see myself going that route... I guess I focused on that degree as it is a double major with some specificity to it, unlike the general business admin degree (2nd degree listed).

I guess for me, I am looking to get a degree and education that can provide me with some versatility (unlike my current degree), but at the same time, trying to find a career that is suitable to my personality and desires.

2. Feb 15, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    gb42

gb42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD OR DCSB MT
    I work for a small CPA firm doing tax/audit/review/compilation work.

My only piece of advice that I didn't see in this thread is that if you are going for a degree in accounting, get your CPA license as well. Not only are you more respected, you get paid better and it will open more doors in the future. If you don't plan on getting your CPA license, I wouldn't even bother getting an accounting degree.

3. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Hmmm okay...well I still have some time before I actually have to commit to a particular area, as I am just taking more of the prereq business classes now. I don't see myself necessarily being an accountant as I am not sure if that is something I can do the rest of my life...however, from those who I have talked to, everyone seems to say that an accounting degree in general will open up more doors than just a generic business admin degree...would you agree???

4. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    I worked at PwC for 4 years, then on to a Finance job for the last 8 years. I got my BA in Business Management, with emphasis in Accounting.

As far as needing a CPA, it depends on your long term goal. If you want to be a high executive, then yes you need it. You don't need a CPA if you don't want to be higher than a Supervisor, or maybe some places Manager. Keep in mind, you better like to work and be stressed out if you want a high paying executive job. You will also need to re-cert your CPA (I think every year or two, I forgot).

I would recommend to focus on Accounting, as many Accounting and Finance jobs will apply. Don't just take general classes in business(ie. some marketing, some accounting, some economics), but find a focus.

5. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:20 PM
    T Fades

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    This only applies to Tax, not Accounting/Finance. Accouting/Finance is typically busy at Quarter and Year end.

6. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:36 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    I agree. There are plenty of doors that open if you have an acct degree even if you don't have a CPA, but it you actually want to have a career as an accountant, well duh, CPA is pretty important haha. But out of all of the business degrees you can get I would certainly put accounting up there as one of the most useful/versitile and important

7. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:46 PM
    gb42

gb42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD OR DCSB MT
    Yes definitely, for accounting jobs though. Obviously someone looking to hire someone to do accounting work will hire someone with an accounting degree over someone with a business admin degree. I don't know if you have an advantage for other business type jobs.

8. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    gb42

gb42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD OR DCSB MT
    I don't know how it works in CA but in Washington you just need to pay an annual fee and have 120 hours of continuing education every three years to keep your CPA license.

9. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:59 PM
    T Fades

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:

Yea, similar in CA.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  10. Feb 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Gotcha,

Thanks for all the bits of information. Like I said, just trying to gather as much information and feedback as possible. Again, I am not certain as to what I will for sure end up taking degree wise...thus far, my accounting class is going pretty well, but then again its pretty basic stuff...

I may take some supply chain management classes to see if that is something I want to pursue...I guess what I am trying to accomplish is to get the degree and education that would open the most doors for me and that is more versatile than the current degree I have.

To Top