1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Salary worth it?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by PerfectTekniq, May 29, 2014.

1. May 29, 2014 at 10:10 PM
    PerfectTekniq

PerfectTekniq [OP] I'm undefeated in the UFC.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pepe Silvia
    Claremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Super White 4x4 DC SB Sport
    AllPro Front, AllPro Rear w/ wraps, AllPro IFS Skid, 5100 w/ 885's upfront, Duratracs, Front Superbumps, BuiltRight UCAs, Dakar Leaf Pack, Extended 5100's, AllPro Flip Kit, Rear Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines WeatherTech Floormats, TRD Intake, ScanGaugeII, TRD SoCal, Grillcraft, Wet Okoles, Cobra 75 w/ 4' whip
    In August 2013 I got a job within the field of an installation company who had issues with the current warehouse manager. I knew he wasn't going to last long and as soon as the memo came out for the opening I applied and ended up getting the job. When I started as the warehouse manager in January 2014 I was given the choice of salary or hourly and decided at the time salary seemed like a more consistent option. Sometimes the field jobs would run out and I would be out of work for a brief amount of time.

Fast forward to now and I'm working a minimum of 12 hour days non-stop since mid-February(Just an example, Tuesday was 14 hours, Wed was 8, tonight was 12). Since mid-February I've also been "asked" to come in on Saturdays to load the trucks that went out Friday night so they are ready for the new job Monday morning. The "rare" Saturday has now turned into me going in this Sunday.

I took the position knowing the work involved. I have no problem working hard, I believe that is how I got the position in the first place. After a month or so of the same long hours I started re-thinking how I was managing my time and started blaming myself for the excessive hours. I felt like it was my work performance that was causing this until I spoke to the other two warehouse managers before me and they both ran into the same hours but they weren't salary. I feel like since I'm salary I am "free" after 8 hours and the weekends so they could really care less about my time. They have even cut my crew that I requested for the following day in what I believe is a way for them to save money.

This is my first salary job so my experience in this situation is limited. I rarely see my fiance or daughter now. They usually spend the night at her parents on Friday since I work 12-14 hours anyway and it is slowly becoming the norm. we have worked hard to get where we are at both financially and in our relationship but I know it's taking it's toll.

Open discussion, has anyone ever ran into the same issues?

2. May 30, 2014 at 3:57 AM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    I am salaried, and when I took the job i made sure to clarify how many hours i was expected to work in a week. Some weeks are more, some are less, but it should average.

Sounds like your bosses are taking advantage of you. Sit down and have a meeting with them. Discuss your concerns, expect feedback, and work out how many hours they expect you to work for your salary.

If the terms don't fit your life, then it's time to start looking for something else

Work so you can have a life, don't live to work

3. May 30, 2014 at 4:06 AM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.
    I found the same to be true when I was a salaried manager for a large national chain (2 of them actually)... They do indeed see salaried workers as "free labor" after their 40 hours... In my position, I had to overspend payroll to keep from working long hours and when my District Manager complained, I explained the situation to them... It didn't help a whole lot, but at least I had someone that had my back when the questions of overspending payroll arose...

I ended up going into sales which gave me a lot more schedule flexibility, and more than double the pay, it has it's headaches, but at least I can unwind on the lake kayaking/fishing... :)

4. May 30, 2014 at 4:28 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    It sounds like they are taking advantage of you. Keep track of your time and discuss it with them in a non-confrontational way.
    The idea of salaried is that you should get a bonus for outstanding work as opposed to overtime pay for hourly workers.
    I am salaried and work a lot more than 40 hours a week, but I would rather do that than the uncertainty of hourly wages. I do get a bonus also every year.

5. May 30, 2014 at 4:31 AM
    Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Subaru WRX
    What's the salary number based on? Is it with the expectation that you will be working 60 hours a week or 40 hours a week? Are the benefits different with salary?

6. May 30, 2014 at 5:10 AM
    shiskabob

shiskabob Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB TRD
    Just talk to your superior about it. They might not know its that big of a problem until you tell them. Or.. they're pricks and do know about it. In which case you can look to benefits to make you feel better about it. Hopefully the company does some sort of 401k match program. Also, the paid vacation sort of evens it out (a little). I know people who have worked miserable hours during peaks and then negotiate an extra week of vacation during the slower periods. Something to look in to.

7. May 30, 2014 at 5:23 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I am in a similar boat concerning the long hours and salary.

I'm going to avoid commenting on the salary vs hourly debate because I truly don't think that's the issue based on your comments.

Even if you were hourly you would still miss your family so I'm thinking you need to find a way to cut your hours or find another job so you can be happy. Money is worthless if your not happy.

Also watch out for burn out. I used to laugh at people when they said that to me when I was working two jobs and going to college at night. I thought I was superman and could do whatever I wanted. Well eventually the long hours and no social life caught up to me and I did burn myself out. Now that I'm older I know what to look for so I can cut off the burn out before it happens, but you need to beware so it doesn't happen to you.

8. May 30, 2014 at 5:35 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    I guess it depends on where it will get you? My wife is salaried and works 5-6 12hr days a week (not every week but when there's a big project). It prob works out to only $20 an hour BUT at some point she'll take her boss' position and make 3x what she makes now. So for her, it's worth it since she also loves what she's doing.

I on the other hand work in the medical field and only have to punch the clock 3 12hr shifts a week and get to leave the shit at work for 4 days off. Also, those 3 shifts are graveyards and pay is much higher 10k more a year for half the work with no managers barking at me. I'm much happier and have time to be with the family, take care of my house and mod the truck more LOL.

Work to live don't live to work!

9. May 31, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    I'm not saying in a stranger to work, nor am I saying the op is lazy

When I negotiated my current salary I asked my boss the expectation for my work. His reply was 45 hours a week with the expectation that the work is done, and it is done well. Based on that we worked out pay, benefits vacation etc

Since most salary work isn't based on a time clock, some weeks I work 60, some weeks 40, some weeks 30. If I get in the ballpark of my 45 hours throughout the year then all is well

All I am saying is salary should be based on a mutual agreement for the pay vs time expected. Not pay for time expected, and then free labor after that

10. May 31, 2014 at 7:04 AM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    Unfortunlatly this is to be expected when you are salary. Have a talk with your supervisors to explain your situation. I wish you luck.

11. May 31, 2014 at 11:25 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Sounds like it sucks to me, I'd be done with it pretty fast. Working my life away isn't really a big goal for me. That said, salary, paid to accomplish a job. Hourly, paid to be on the clock.

I've done both sides of it and benefited from both sides in different ways.

I'd be pissed if I was missing out on too much of my family time.

12. Jun 2, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    Boerseun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    I am salaried and was in the office Friday night untill 12:45 am (Saturday morning) to get something done that my boss needed Monday morning (He was in the office untill about 8:00 pm and went home). He did however call me this morning and thanked me for staying late and getting it done. I know when bonus time and salary increase time comes he always puts in a good word for me.
    However, I don't mind staying late every once in a while to get a rush job done, but it is when it becomes an everyday thing like OP's situation that it will have to be addressed with management. Important to do it in a non-confrontational way - explain that you love your job and appreciate the opportunity given to you, but the week-end work will have to be resolved.
    By the way, by law overtime on salaried is not required, but there is nothing that says that they can't pay you overtime (straight time though, not 1.5) for extra hours worked. Some places allow comp time, where you can get some time off later, maybe when things slow down a bit - instead of using your vacation time.
    Anything can be negotiated, as long as you do it with the right attitude so you don't tick them off.

13. Jun 2, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    PerfectTekniq

PerfectTekniq [OP] I'm undefeated in the UFC.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pepe Silvia
    Claremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Super White 4x4 DC SB Sport
    AllPro Front, AllPro Rear w/ wraps, AllPro IFS Skid, 5100 w/ 885's upfront, Duratracs, Front Superbumps, BuiltRight UCAs, Dakar Leaf Pack, Extended 5100's, AllPro Flip Kit, Rear Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines WeatherTech Floormats, TRD Intake, ScanGaugeII, TRD SoCal, Grillcraft, Wet Okoles, Cobra 75 w/ 4' whip
    Thanks everyone. I am taking two days off for my wedding later this month so I've decided to sit down with management after I enjoy the honeymoon and clear my head. I will update as the situation changes.

14. Jun 2, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Salaries come with bonuses, hourly comes with overtime. There may be a rather large bonus waiting for you around christmas-time, I'd ask that question. Good luck either way.

15. Jun 2, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Subaru WRX
    Do you mean two days or two weeks? Seems like two days would be little time for a wedding/honeymoon. Congrats on all of that.

16. Jun 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    Boerseun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    OP is too busy at work to take more time for honeymoon!

jk,

Congrats on the upcoming wedding OP.

17. Jun 2, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    I work in the field and experienced salary vs hourly. I will NEVER go back to salary, yes they rape you when you are salary. I am Hourly again and now i get paid when I work long days and love it.

To Top