1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How did you decide what you want to do?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Adventurer_Alex, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Jun 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM
    Adventurer_Alex

Adventurer_Alex [OP] Generic mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    I dont have a clue what career I want to end up in and it got me thinking. How did you decide on what you want to do?

2. Jun 21, 2014 at 12:39 AM
    Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab SR5 4X4
    Loud as hell URD exhaust!
    It depends on several factors. Do you want a career that pays well or a career that you love to do? Because sometimes you cant have both. My ideal job wouldnt support my lifestyle so I chose a more technical career. To a certain extent you have to recognize what you are good at and direct yourself to jobs that align with those skills.

RJM

3. Jun 21, 2014 at 12:43 AM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Joined the Air Force. They picked for me and I'm lucky to have gotten such an awesome job.

4. Jun 21, 2014 at 12:57 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I didn't decide. It found me. I'm an IT consultant (but my degree's in Religious Studies). It's not my passion at all. But it pays good, I work for myself, it's challenging, and it also leaves me plenty of time to pursue my passions.

5. Jun 21, 2014 at 1:37 AM
    Adventurer_Alex

Adventurer_Alex [OP] Generic mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    I really cant decide. I love guiding (really assisting/ "seconding") and I'm going to college for a rec degree, just finished my first year of general credits so its completely up in the air. Doing all of the things that degree leads to interests me but I don't want to do them as a career.

What do you do?

That actually sounds kinda cool. The challenging, paying well enough to pursue your hobbies and have time to do them parts anyway :p

6. Jun 21, 2014 at 1:45 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
  7. Jul 7, 2014 at 1:33 PM
    PhdNPrerunners

PhdNPrerunners Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I know what you mean man. I messed around after high school and landed a good paying job but once the recession hit I got laid off. Every job I have had since then has been lower paying. So now that I am almost 27 and getting close to the time I have to declare a major I have no idea what I want to do. I thought I would go into nursing but after my grandmother being in the hospital a lot these past couple years I don't think I could handle it. People tell me I should do what I'm passionate about but I feel like I'm not passionate about anything. So now I have no idea what to do. Good luck on your search for a career!

8. Jul 14, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    I'm working multiple jobs right now. Work construction all week, (on lunch break right now,) anything from framing and roofing to drywall and trim. At night (2-6:30 am) I run a newspaper route. In my spare time, I mow lawns and recycle scrap metal.
    I want to get into the local police force, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I want to help people and make my community a little safer.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  9. Jul 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i was in college, partying, chasing girls..being a idiot with my money.

i worked for a sign company. we had to install a marque for some hospital. our sub, the electricians refused to dig a trench, so my boss handed me and my friend a shovel each.

my buddy looked up and screamed.."holy shit, we're effen ditch diggers!". we both took schooling a tad more serious.

10. Jul 14, 2014 at 10:36 PM
    Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab SR5 4X4
    Loud as hell URD exhaust!
    You are pretty ambitious for a 20 yr old.

For becoming a LEO Im sure there are members here that could help you out.

RJM

11. Jul 14, 2014 at 10:55 PM
    Buyashotgun

Buyashotgun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm choosing my career based on both factors. I plan on becoming a leo after I finish college at uncc. I have always wanted to be a police since I was a little boy and Police also get a very decent pay.

12. Jul 14, 2014 at 11:06 PM
    TheNatural

TheNatural Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Lots of bolt on chrome stuff
    I was always told there are three things you have to balance: What you're good at, what interests you, and what pays the bills. I was always good at math and science, I have always liked building things, and I'm not exactly frugal.

I became a Civil Consulting Engineer. It's alright. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up though.

13. Jul 15, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    travel_taco

travel_taco Gentlemans Sausage

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Rust Bucket
    anti-fuel saving mods
    I know in another thread you mentioned that you were friends with one of your local police officers(when a group of kids broke into your truck). The best bet would be to try and see if you could join him on a couple ride alongs and start asking him a lot of questions. He would be the most helpful regarding the process for becoming an officer in your area.

I didnt really choose my current career, just kinda got lucky with networking

14. Jul 15, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    Yeah, Leo that lives down the street. I didn't know you could do ride-alongs. I think he mostly works at a school, kinda like a security guard but a real cop.

15. Jul 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    I spent years and thousands on a pre- med degree before taking time off school. I returned for art school becuase it makes me happy and I think it is important. But, I understand that maybe I will have other jobs and careers in my life. I would suggest doing what interests you and doing it well. The more skills you have and the more curiosity you allow yourself, the more any job will be one you can find some happiness in.

16. Jul 18, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    good advice here ^^^

don't feel like you have to shoot for the moon, ...if you really aren't being pulled in a particular path, ...try to go into something that has a fairly broad base of demand in your locale... ...something you can make a living on, and interests you at least somewhat... sometimes you don't know what you like, until you try it, ...just be sure that the time/effort you're putting into "trying" a path allows you to build a foundation that could readily facilitate a career transition later if need be (i.e. a general career/industry "sector")...

17. Jul 28, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    i wanna retire

18. Jul 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    808leo

808leo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kapolei, Oahu
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 super white dcsb 4wd
    5100 max setting, 285/70/17 ko2, FN 6 shooter, Subaru/kicker tweeters, JBL BassPro sub, nfabs, LED lights exterior/interior.
    Right out of high school I had no idea what I wanted to do. I have a decent paying job, but it isn't a career. I had a very bad night few years ago was in the hospital. Talking to the nurses and seeing what they do got me interested in the medical field (plus I'm into fitness so learning about anatomy and physiology was very interesting to me). Now I'm pursuing a career as a hopeful nurse.

19. Jul 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    I wanted to make more money without going to college for 4 years or taking out student loans. I also did not want to wear a tie or sit in a cubicle all day long. I went to a local trade school that has a reputable diesel and construction equipment program. I worked full-time the whole 2 years and paid cash for all my school and tools. A month before I graduated I had 3 interviews in one week and all 3 offered me a job. It nearly doubled my hourly wage and also gave me an associate's degree, so in the future if I want to get a bachelor's degree it will only take 2 years. So if you're a hands-on type, I would highly recommend a good trade school.

20. Jul 30, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    tacoftw

tacoftw 5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously

Member:
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4
    5100s, camburg arms, toytec AAL, 285s on m/t 17x9
    I chose mechanical engineering because I wanted something
    1) technical 2) versatile 3) decent paying 4) stable

an ME degree opens up a lot of possibilities, even in unrelated fields. Plus, with a 3.0+ gpa and lots of time applying, you can get enough scholarships to graduate debt-free

To Top