1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Workers at Amazon Warehouse don't get paid for Screening when they leave. thoughts?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Ghost., Oct 3, 2014.

1. Oct 5, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    first world problems

2. Oct 5, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Beats the alternative, no?

3. Oct 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I worked with a guy who stole some materials, left them in plain view in the back of his truck. A supervisor saw it, he was fired within the hour. He filed for unemployment, the company disputed and lost in court! WTF! POS stealing from the company, fired for cause, and still gets unemployment.
    Not the same as your example. A lot of companys reserve the right to search employee vehicles.

4. Oct 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Lame, for sure. But firing is firing. I got injured at work once, the boss threatened and harassed me to return to work while I was under doctors care, and I quit.

No unemployment for me.

5. Oct 5, 2014 at 6:40 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    That happens(harassment) quite a bit. It's dangerous to quit in some states as wc can be terminated as well. Much more safe to tell the boss to fuck off and get fired while injured so benefits continue until you are well. Crazy right?
    Oh, and :cheers: for no unemployment.

6. Oct 5, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Yeah it was really cool. Pushed me into bankruptcy at the time. :drunk:

7. Oct 5, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    Frogging

Frogging Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DEREK
    ORLANDO, FL
    Vehicle:
    DCLB 4.0 2wd
    ASV vent visors LED tailgate brake light Weathertech floor mats Wish list:Maxtrac Spindles New leaf pack Extended rear shocks Braided Brake lines Konig countersteer Anodized bronze 285/70/18 tires NST Crank lite pulley setup XTP intake manifold spacer Neoprene seat covers Fiberglass fenders Power sliding rear window 1" Spacers for rear wheels
    Apple had this lawsuit a few years ago and the employees won on the grounds that it was required for the employees to be check and they had the same time issue

8. Oct 6, 2014 at 12:24 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Sounds like you were a victim of "constructive discharge" which is a violation of federal law. Constructive discharge is a employer/supervisor harassing you until you quit.

9. Oct 6, 2014 at 12:45 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    If you have to do it for the company, by their own rules, then yes, pay me.

10. Oct 6, 2014 at 2:51 AM
    ewbaltz

ewbaltz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    12 DcSb SR5 4X4
    Totally Stock
    it seems as if Amazon has gone downhill in recent years. I used to purchase from their website frequently however in the last few years their prices have started to border on outlandish and I could find better deals elsewhere in almost every instance. now they're nowhere near as good as they used to be apparently that goes for employment as well.reminds me of a few other companies that started out great and then turned to crap once they became too big for their britches. For instance... I remember when Best Buy was actually a Best Buy not the rip off job it is now. Many other examples too numerous to cite here.bottom line competition prevents this sort of shit in retail as well as the job market.if only we didn't have someone interfering with job creation at every turn. Did we have that recovery summer yet?

11. Oct 6, 2014 at 3:01 AM
    ewbaltz

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    12 DcSb SR5 4X4
    Totally Stock
    Oh, they can "reserve" the right to search my vehicle all they want.however any attempt in reality to do so will likely result in a 10 millimeter hollowpoint to the face of the asshole who attempts it. My property is my property. And not to be violated by anyone. PERIOD.I'm sick and tired of these employers who think just because the economy is bad they can pour raw sewage down the throats of their employees with a funnel and get away with it.

but hey, if you ask I'll tell you how I really feel.

As for the piece of shit thief that's what the police are for. I'm very surprised that he won unemployment after being terminated for theft in Wisconsin. I thought after that whole Scott Walker thing Wisconsin was turning to be a little bit more fiscally conservative, apparently not at first I thought you were out of California lol. My apologies to the Californians.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  12. Oct 6, 2014 at 5:17 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I'm a member on one of the better computer technical forums too. Those there in the IT industry say that Best Buy's Geek Squad now is pretty close to being a computer scam. A local news agency I used to watch when I lived out on the West Coast did a series of reports saying the same thing.

I purchase a lot of stuff through Amazon as where I live it's either this, drive 50 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart, or drive 100 miles to do some actual shopping. The rip-off on Amazon primarily involves the shipping and handling costs added on by outside sellers, which, unless they offer free shipping, I've learned to avoid.

The best thing about Amazon is that you can lump purchases together and get free shipping. I usually don't order anything unless I can get free shipping. For instance, every couple of months I buy a large bag of cat food for my parent's cats. They used to get the food at a local vet but the office closed down and the vet was charging them twice the price on Amazon anyway. By adding a couple more items, I can I can get free shipping on a 20 pound bag of cat food that saves the cost of the items itself.

I have had to return a few items but the returns were easy -- just printed out an RMA online, stuck it in the box and then set the box out for UPS to pick up. I've also sometimes gotten extra items, which I've returned. A few months ago my bag of cat food weighed about 50 pounds, which I thought strange till I found, in the bottom of the box, another flat box containing four 16" diamond saw blades that sell for $160 each. Needless to say, the girl from Amazon was quite happy that I called to return them.

Edit:

Sometimes things get messed up a bit in the computer system. I was making a screw-advance box joint jig and ordered some six foot lengths of all-thread. This is what was on my order and what I was charged for but instead I got I got some fancy curved six-foot shower curtain rods, that retail for about ten times what the all-thread cost. I called Amazon and they picked up the curtain rods and had my all-thread at my door in a couple of days.

13. Oct 6, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Yes, it came down to my word versus his word, and I knew it was bad news when they called me with results and I was being scolded by this woman on the phone before she said "denied unemployment."

Literally, from the first word she said on the phone she sounded like she was scolding her child, it was ridiculous.

14. Oct 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    So, you place all the blame on companies protecting their assets? I would guess the majority of the blame falls on the criminals that have stolen millions in property from said companies.
    You can also blame the criminals for the reason you protect your property with a firearm.
    I'm a big supporter of my rights and privileges but, if I needed a job to support my family and have nothing to hide, I'd gladly lift my yamsack and even throw in a helicopter for that job.

15. Oct 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    If you shoot someone for going through your car, you'll be in prison and have your gun rights stripped away, and all your other rights won't keep Bubba from showing you how hard his 10 penetrates, if you know what I'm sayin.

16. Oct 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM
    Ghost.

Ghost. [OP] TW 1%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 4runner Limited
    We've migrated to buttsex. TW you never let me down.

17. Oct 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
  18. Oct 7, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    ewbaltz

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    12 DcSb SR5 4X4
    Totally Stock
    I think you misunderstand, any search of my vehicle would it entail physically moving me out of the way for them to do so. And I promise you that's going to get real ugly real quick. Like the second they lay hands on me.I promise you any shooting on my part would be quite justified of that I would make sure. But I'm just illustrating a larger point.don't give up your rights.These companies can say they have the right to search your vehicle all they want but the fact is they do not. all they can do is ask you to leave their property.As for big Bubba and his 10 well let's just say he's going to look really pretty wearing his scrotum as a hat.

19. Oct 7, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    Roundarc

Roundarc Former Tacoma Owner

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford F150 XLT
    If the company wants to feel me up before I leave for the day, I believe that I should be on the clock. If not I guess the best I could hope for is a reach around. :anonymous:

20. Oct 7, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    I'm not saying it's right, and definitely saying to forfeit all rights especially basic ones, but Arizona's laws for self defense and stand your ground laws are identical to California. Your scenario of preventing an employer from searching your vehicle and how you think you'd respond to that would be a murder conviction, unless your employer decided to attempt to cause you great bodily harm, and even then you're limited in response to the minimum required action to cease their threat to your safety. Even if you got into a physical altercation to stop them from searching your car, and it escalated, you'd still be screwed because you're the aggressor and your self defense possibility is out the window immediately.

Anyway, just consider the laws that pertain to defense and please be careful what you type on the internet. If you're actually involved in a shooting, you can guarantee your post above will show up in court as they try to paint you into someone you may or may not be. I'm not trying to rag on you. :cheers:

To Top