1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I like my job, but another company wants to pay 20k more... do I take it?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by BTR, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:08 AM
    BTR

BTR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 v6
    Working at a job for about 3 years now, its been great, learning alot, very dynamic, like my boss alot and the people are great...

However. A co-worker of mine interviewed for a position that he admitted he was not qualified for, same field, similar position, located a couple blocks from my current job that pays 20k more, he passed my name on now I'm going for an interview

I like my job alot, but an additional 20k would help out with saving for the kids college (or pissing it away on cars)

What really kills me is that would I be missing out on something big? I wasn't even looking for a job and this just fell into my lap...

anyone been in a similar position?

2. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    Depends on what promotions you could be up for at your current job. At my old job, I was stuck. There were talks of promotions, but they were just talks. When a position finally became available, they sent it overseas. Loving my new job. Been here about 3 months.

3. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:13 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I've been in that position several times, and several times I passed it all up. I never chase money since I make a good living where I am and what I'm doing and my co-workers and boss I consider friends.

4. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:17 AM
    BTR

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 v6
    aah, thats what kills me right there.

the devil on my shoulder says take the damn job and spend more money on sh*t I dont need.

the angel on my shoulder says my job/company/boss has been very good to me, and therefore I should be good to them

5. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Yep, there is really something to say about quality of life though, and I dont mean monitarily.

What if you get there and the whole dynamic sucks, your new boss is a micro manager, the corporate system isnt the same, etc. The list can be long.

20K doesnt always work out to be a whole lot after taxes. Will it put you in another bracket where they take more than they are now?

It's a scary proposition for sure. I have been there and made the wrong choice, but I have also been there and made the right choice.

How I would handle it? Get the job offer, then go talk to your current company and be honest with them. Tell them you love your job, people, etc and that you dont want to leave. Maybe they will bump you up in pay enough to offset the drama of moving on.

:notsure:

Goodluck with it.

6. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Get the raise in writing from that employer, when your annual (or semi-annual) review comes up (if you do that type of thing), explain to your current boss why you need a raise, and justify your job to him for the money you are asking.. then show him you've turned down higher paying jobs to stay where you are to become a loyal employee to the company.

7. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:23 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    I've done it several times and it got me where I am at. I plan on continuing to do it till I see fit or I feel absolutely and one hundred percent comfortable I want to be with a company for more than 2 years.

About to buy a house so a new job would make things turbulent, but I would do it in a heart beat if I had the chance. It all depends too because going from 80k-100k is really not that big of a change while going from let's say 35k to 55k is.

8. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    that is exactly what i was going to offer in this thread. I've been offered other jobs that pay more than where i am at now, but working where i do i am compensated other ways than money. for example, i actually really enjoy going to work everyday. the atmosphere is relaxed, i consider all of my co-workers friends and that all just adds to my "quality of life" at the work place which in turn keeps my quality of life outside of the office great. Don't bring work home with me to ruin my off time from work.

lots to think about, not all job perks are in dollar signs

9. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    BTR

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 v6
    They have other pretty neat perks too, your breakfast and lunch is made onsite by a professional chef (FREE) , also there is an onsite gym.

the awkward part is my review is coming up next week or so, I would consider staying for a 10% raise. but do I tell my boss that I have another offer or do I just ask for a 10% raise?

10. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    It doesn't sound like you know a lot about the other company yet. In my opinion, you owe it to yourself to explore the opportunity. Take the interview, see what you think about the place. See if you can go around and meet some people that you'd be working with, etc.

There's definitely a work/life balance. My most recent job change, I took a less lucrative job because it was in a location that I wanted to be in. But I'd definitely check something out that could potentially pay me $20k more.

11. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Large said it pretty well.

If he is your "friend" or you just feel comfortable with him. Be honest, tell him you dont WANT to leave, but you feel you have earned a raise and they dont even need to match it. Just show that they value you as much as you value them to want to stay.

Thats how I would handle it.

12. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    I say go to the interview. See what the new company has to offer. Then when you sit for your review next week, tell your employer that you were solicited by another company and they are offering 20K more. Be sure they understand you didn't go looking for the job. They came to you. If your current employer wants to keep you, they'll offer you something to stay. I've seen it happen plenty of times.

13. Nov 18, 2014 at 7:41 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I agree with Large but my agreement would depend on the industry and a few other factors. Are you fairly paid as far as industry standards in your area? If you're grossly underpaid but stay with your company because you like it there, then I would have a heart to heart with your boss and really consider the other position. Some smaller companies are great to work for but can't afford to pay 'the going rate' for their employees. The larger companies can sometimes pay better, give you more 'perks' and provide you better advancement opportunities for your career to grow. If you make decent money, have a comfortable lifestyle but this other company is just offering more money, I'd think long and hard about why and how they are able to do so. I work in the Boston area and there is a competing company that I know would pay 20 - 30% more than I make now for my same position. The catch is, they own you. They have all that in house stuff, laundry, prepared lunches, gym, day care, etc, but their employees practically live there because of the hours they're expected to work. In the end, I decided it's not for me.

14. Nov 18, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    BTR

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 v6

Good point, I work in Boston as well.

I work in the computer field

15. Nov 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Sometimes new opportunities that can be a life changer just fall in our laps. They are rare, but they do happen. While I'm a true skeptic of anything that "sounds too good to be true", sometimes things do turn out good. Not often, though.

You never know.. this new job could be more pay AND you could double your friends and maintain your happiness. It's a gamble. Have the interview and do your homework. Have the hiring manager walk the floor with you and see how everyone interacts. Are they showing body language of enjoying their work environment? Is it quiet and sullen? Observe closely and have that help your decision. Study your potential future boss just as carefully.

Ask about advancement opportunities with the new job. Is the ceiling higher? Are they just verbal promises of better opportunities, or do they have a documented career advancement plan that you can participate in? I find that the promise of promotions is far less valuable than seeing a plan in writing. Be careful here.

But, as many have now already said, you could use this lucrative offer as leverage for getting more money in your current job. Not to pressure them, but to show them that you're loyal and that's worth something. Tell your current employer you are happy with your job and your team, but you also have to think about your home expenses and savings.

I've made jumps to totally different careers for more money. Most of the time it worked out very well, but sometimes it doesn't right away. Since you're not really jumping careers, just contemplating jumping employers, you have an advantage of knowing what you want/don't want. Use that.

16. Nov 18, 2014 at 8:27 AM
    10ptXtreme

10ptXtreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    If the hours required to do the job are comparable, take the new job. If you will need to spend a larger amount of time with the new company, you will need to evaluate that for yourself.

Let this sink in... NOcompany is loyal to their employees. They will ALWAYS do what is best for them. If that does not include you, then you're out. You need to do what's best for you and your family.

David

17. Nov 18, 2014 at 9:09 AM
    BTR

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 v6
    damn I love this forum. fantastic ideas here

18. Nov 20, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    BTR

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 v6
    interview tomorrow, will keep you all posted

19. Nov 22, 2014 at 4:03 AM
    BTR

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 v6
    Interview went well, waiting to hear back

20. Nov 22, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    Very good advice throughout the thread. Anything I thought to bring up was covered.

Good luck!

To Top