1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FWC/Wildlife Officer

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by 1stgen, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Jan 27, 2015 at 5:30 PM
    1stgen

1stgen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dade City/ Ft. Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    18 SR5
    I know this a long shot but is anyone here one of these two occupations? I've decided this is what I want to do and i know I would enjoy it. I've grown up fishing and the outdoors, I know my way around a forest and I was always fascinated by them whenever they would check our boats for gear and fish. I also like the idea of a vehicle being leased to you and being able to have nice benefits. The money isn't the greatest but I've never been someone to obsess over having the most money as long as I can afford what I want every once and awhile. I just had a few questions that could really help me get this thing started early since I can apply as early as 19. Talking to a recruiter was also another option I need to explore but I thought this would be a much clearer and more truthful answer than what he would tell me. Thanks

2. Jan 27, 2015 at 5:33 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    My dad was a wildlife officer for like 35 years.

at least in TN the truck where for work only and where not suppose to do any personal use with them.

what other questions do you have maybe i can help?

3. Jan 27, 2015 at 5:36 PM
    1stgen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dade City/ Ft. Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    18 SR5

I was wondering what the work load was, a lot of paperwork? and what sort of hours? I also was a little confused on who I would report to and what would I know what to do that day since most are by their selves. And if they give you space or are they down your backs like traditional military/police business.

4. Jan 27, 2015 at 5:58 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    Well i think a lot of that would depend on what state or department you work for. stuff like paper work, who you report to or plaining a day out may really depend on where you work, find out the location or number for FL fish and game (or who ever you kinda plain to work for maybe another state) and call them and ask if there is someone you can talk to and ask some questions. A number and location should be in a hunting or fishing guide. Also i know in TN you have to have at least 4 years of collage. some kinda wildlife management/Bio degree will go a hell of a lot better/farther than a criminal justice degree.

I know dad worked all hours really. one story I’ll post.

opening day of(i think it was deer hunting) he had report of hunting over bait, went to work at 3am. sat out in the woods till after day light, got a call about some guy hunting on a small privet island without permission and land owner wanted to file charges. went and dealt with that. had to rush home and change cloths and go work the TN football game(working the river boat traffic, 3 to 4 hours before and after each game) worked that by this time it’s after dark that night. just left where they keep the boats and got a call of a small plain that crashed along the river so him and another officer had to get back in the boats and go work that. he got home close to or after 3am so he worked 24 hours.

I think for most states wildlife officer/game wardens are a state agency. I don’t think they really have recruit like the military dose. for some questions i’d find a local office and call them. a location and number should be listed in a hunting or fishing guide.

I think for the most part they can kinda do what they want.(not what ever they want, i think you get the point) but if they are having complaint about trespassing or people spot lighting/hunting over bait. people taking to many fish ect, they can kinda work that as they want. I think most you are kinda assigned a county or area, so you have a chance to really get to know an area and maybe who would be doing illegal stuff maybe where they hangout.

5. Jan 27, 2015 at 7:49 PM
    1stgen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dade City/ Ft. Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    18 SR5
    I know a little like I would be assigned to a county. I just contacted a recruiter for my area tonight but I may be too young to even speak to him. I plan on asking about an internship and maybe a ride along if that's even possible. As for the hours i don't think that situation would ever arise where I would work a full 24hr because more than likely I would be a marine patrol and try to just specialize in that. Thank you for your insight.

6. Jan 27, 2015 at 8:06 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    sounds good man. no problem, if you have any more question ask i maybe able to help. How old are you?

only water way stuff i know anything about is lakes or rivers. no oceans around here lol. the wildlife officers here cover everything from hunting,fishing, all of out boating laws. have to inspect stuff when the circus comes to town, inspections on rehabilitates. They have some part time officer that just work the lakes and rivers.

7. Jan 27, 2015 at 8:08 PM
    1stgen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dade City/ Ft. Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    18 SR5
    I am 17, and the age to apply is 19. We have everything in Florida!

8. Jan 27, 2015 at 8:16 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    yeah you maybe to young. Ask if there is and what the requirements are about school. That should help you a lot on weather you can apply at 19 or will have to do some schooling(collage)

yeah i have been to FL some. been year and years but use to to get Destin to the beach. I went to Daytona last summer. My dad is from Jacksonville and grew us surfing and at the beach. FL is a nice state but to flat more me and to hot! lol

9. Jan 27, 2015 at 8:20 PM
    1stgen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dade City/ Ft. Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    18 SR5

My Grandparents live just across the bay from Destin, great place. They have all the qualifications on myfwc.com so I'm pretty sure you don't need a degree but you need your GED. You get used to the flat land but Tennessee is amazing, Florida basically only has its beaches.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  10. Jan 27, 2015 at 8:32 PM
    WildLand

WildLand Does Ursus arctos defecate in deciduous forest?

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra
    I am almost done with my 3rd year in college studying FWCE Wildlife ecology and management over in New Mexico and headed to grad school right after. I am also the vice president of the student chapter of The Wildlife Society here and get to talk with a lot of fish and game people. Here is what I have been told for the most part and should apply to you because you are only a few years younger than me. They all say that the force is always accepting (Very competitive now days) and is a great way to get into more wildlife jobs (if you want to go that route) but if you stay in that line of work too long, then it is hard to transition out of it. But what I hear you say sounds like you want to stay in it. Also once you get higher up is when you can start 'specializing' in a certain place but when you start off you are kind of all over the board. And last thing is that they say keep your mind open to other offerings because you probably won't get exactly what you want.

I will probably go into the fish and game service for a few years after this, but when you want to go outside of law enforcement and look for wildlife government jobs, that is when you need a masters degree or lots of experience!

Let me know if you need more info!

11. Jan 27, 2015 at 9:03 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    Thats cool. i don’t remember a lot about it i was like 5 or so when i went last. I’m 23 today

yeah. I can go from no snow at the house and temp around 35* to the mounts and have 6+” of snow and mud holes covered in ice thick enough to drive the rhino on with 2 people.

12. Jan 28, 2015 at 4:28 AM
    1stgen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dade City/ Ft. Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    18 SR5
    Thanks, they give you an option to chose which county you wish to stay in but 90% of the time you get relocated to wherever the opening is. I just really hope I don't get stuck waiting for a year or so for that job to open. I would rather stay instate and I liked almost all the FWC guys I met on the boat, they were all very nice but could enforce at the same time.

13. Jan 28, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    1stgen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dade City/ Ft. Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    18 SR5
    I got an answer from the recruiter and he just said you have to be 19 to apply. Not even what my question asked, I also asked if I could ask some questions and no reply or acknowledgement of that too....

14. Jan 28, 2015 at 4:01 PM
    WildLand

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra
    It is tough to get information because of how busy they are. With the openings and what I said about lots of people go through the law enforcement stage before become ecologist/biologist/researchers, it is really competitive.

Also what I've been told DIRECTLY from officers and employers in this field is to be on top of them with emails and or calls. Because they will see an email. Open it and forget to reply. So it's good to keep up on contact

15. Jan 28, 2015 at 4:41 PM
    1stgen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dade City/ Ft. Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    18 SR5

Makes sense, my uncle has a buddy who's in FWC so ill try to talk to him next time I get up there. I also need to learn more about the internship program so I'll most likely contact him or someone else a little later.

16. Jan 28, 2015 at 6:09 PM
    WildLand

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra
    Good, it's all about who you know, not what you know

17. Jan 30, 2015 at 2:10 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    I met a handful of those guys a while back, as we went to the same church. All but one had previous LEO experience (Hillsborough/Pasco/Polk Sheriffs office), and all had fairly good political connections. Not trying to discourage you, but those FWC jobs are HARD to get.

Good luck!

18. Jan 30, 2015 at 5:22 PM
    1stgen

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dade City/ Ft. Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    18 SR5

I'm a little bit connected as my parents are very active in the community and have a lot of politically powerful friends. I'm planning on getting a degree in criminology and apply soon after.

19. Mar 30, 2015 at 8:32 PM
    bearhuntermatt

bearhuntermatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    VA
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD Off Road
    I applied for a position at the VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. I got a email a couple weeks ago to attend a written and physical test at a training facility. I don't have any law enforcement experience but have hunted and fished my whole life. Main reason I applied is because of an opening in my county and wouldn't have to relocate. Ill let you know what it was like after Friday.

20. Mar 30, 2015 at 8:45 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    Are these similar to game warden positions? If so I highly suggest getting a major in wildlife and fisheries management or something similar. Criminology doesn't even cut it for Wyoming Game Wardens.

To Top