1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

From Agribusiness to Environmental Engineering?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by MtnMan307, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Feb 15, 2015 at 10:51 AM
    MtnMan307

MtnMan307 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Aurora, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD OR, 2017 Prius 4 Touring Lyft Car
    Weathertech floor mats, Bilstein 5100s front/rear, TSB leaf springs, Pioneer head unit, Mini D2S headlight retrofit.
    I graduated from college in 2010 with a bachelor's degree in Agribusiness, down at Texas A&M. After looking for a job for a while with no luck getting anything I wanted, I got an internship at a coal mine in Montana as an accountant/business guy. This turned into a full time position at the end of the summer of 2011. The job lasted for about 2.5 years until I lost it due to a layoff of a bunch of craft employees.

I was making almost 60k a year, had a nice house and the whole shebang at 29 years old. I wanted to keep the house so I pretty much tried to get another job in the Sheridan, WY area. That didn't work out and I now work at the VA hospital here in housekeeping.

Our local community college has an environmental engineering program that I just learned about. This part of the country has a lot of environmental jobs with O&G, mining, BLM, and other areas. Would it be a waste to get an associate's degree in environmental engineering to go with my bachelor's? It seems like agribusiness is not in the kind of demand I thought it was when I went to college for that.

2. Mar 7, 2015 at 10:36 AM
    MtnMan307

MtnMan307 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Aurora, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD OR, 2017 Prius 4 Touring Lyft Car
    Weathertech floor mats, Bilstein 5100s front/rear, TSB leaf springs, Pioneer head unit, Mini D2S headlight retrofit.
    It turns out that it would be pretty pointless to go that route, so I will keep applying and interviewing. I just had an interview for an accounting job in Gillette with a coal mining company...not selected but at least I had a shot.

To Top