1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Career Suggestions

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by lanestaco, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Mar 18, 2015 at 12:32 PM
    lanestaco

lanestaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Guthrie, OK
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Okay guys... From what I gather on this site, you all have quite the variety of jobs.

I need some advice, some options, as I feel I don't know what is out there, and I'm in a rut. My wife is completely behind me on this, but neither of us can come up with anything.

What are some suggestions for careers that pay, at a minimum, of $55K a year that have some physical aspect to the job? I'm the type of person that has to be able to see some sort of result from what I'm doing, and I cannot sit in a chair all day (I'll go nuts).

Education: I have an BA in English. It's what I was best at in school, but that does not mean I want to teach. I don't.

I enjoy being outside...be it below freezing or above 100*, rain, snow, etc.

I've been thinking about getting a home inspection license, but I don't think that'd cut it in the single-family income realm. I've also considered being an electrician, or a trade like that.

Suggestions? Ask away if you need to know more before suggesting anything.

I appreciate it!

I guess I should add that as far as previous job experience, I've worked for Lowe's since 2007. Started as a loader and worked my way up to an assistant manager. Currently I'm a contractor in the maintenance department at the FAA as a dispatcher, with a second, part-time, job still at Lowe's.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. Mar 18, 2015 at 12:36 PM
    Stubbs07Tacoma

Stubbs07Tacoma Toyota Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    EXPO in the making All Pro Expo Leafs PelfreyBilt front bumper full hoops 20 Inch led bar in bumper AVEC pods for fogs Warn 9500 Front suspension currently being redone
    military contractor lol

3. Mar 18, 2015 at 12:49 PM
    lanestaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Guthrie, OK
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
  4. Mar 18, 2015 at 1:14 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    What do you do for fun?

5. Mar 18, 2015 at 1:17 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    I'd say focus on a trade or profession, such as a construction trade. Maybe go back to school and become a landscape architect; that'd be a badass job.

6. Mar 18, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    lanestaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Guthrie, OK
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Distance running. Hiking. Camping. TacomaWorld...

Money has always been so tight, I don't know what hobbies I'd take up if I had the cash to invest in any. Student loans FTW.

7. Mar 18, 2015 at 1:28 PM
    lanestaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Guthrie, OK
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    That's pretty much what my wife has suggested...completing whatever courses are necessary for electrician, or whatever trade. Also mentioned industrial safety...

8. Mar 18, 2015 at 1:32 PM
    WMDtech

WMDtech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR 4X4, White, DCSB
    None... sigh
    I'd say listen to your wife, get whatever education you need to do what intrests you and go from there. The landscaping idea sounds rather appealing...

9. Mar 18, 2015 at 1:35 PM
    lanestaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Guthrie, OK
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Oklahoma is overflowing with landscaping companies. During the summer, you're surrounded by full-size pick-ups pulling landscaping trailers everywhere! Not quite the field I'd like... but I appreciate the suggestion!

10. Mar 18, 2015 at 1:41 PM
    danbow

danbow Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 F150 Crew 4x4
    Outside Insurance Adjuster.... since your'e on this site I'm assuming a more than normal interest in vehicles. I inspect vehicles in shops, at tow yards, at peoples residences and b/c I'm in a rural territory in cow pastures. You will be outside alot and there is always a need. You can make pretty good money either as a staff adjuster or independent. You need to get licensed though, and a company will likley not pay you the 55k you are looking for right away when they are training you.

EDIT: you have to be able to tolerate people pretty dang well.

11. Mar 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570

That's what I did... I own my own business now.... If you got your wife's full support do what ever you feel happy with....

Approx 15 years ago I moved home to basically take care of some family issues right after college... With no clue.... Got my Emt... Worked on an ambulance got burnt out... Started my business because I have a love for hunting and guns.... If I can do it here in this GRAND state... You can do it there...

12. Mar 19, 2015 at 7:38 AM
    lanestaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Guthrie, OK
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    This is actually another job we've brought up on occasion. Making the 50K and up doesn't have to be immediate, but I'd just have to keep a second job until that is attainable. Trying to get it so the wife can be a stay at home mom.

13. Mar 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM
    danbow

danbow Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 F150 Crew 4x4
    I can only speak from my experience. I'be been an adjuster (auto) for 7 years and really enjoy it. I'm a staff adjuster. You can make more as an independent, but the big companies will train you. Also, if you want to be away from home for long periods of time catastrophe adjusters make a lot more. Once you get trained and licensed there are a lot of opportunities out there.

Downsides are hail season and dealing with people that are dishonest, but most are fine.

14. Mar 19, 2015 at 1:09 PM
    lanestaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Guthrie, OK
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    ^Thanks for the advice

15. Mar 19, 2015 at 1:36 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    What about a county job?

Typically pretty good pay + benefits and great retirement.
    If I were to start over this is what I'd look for, I've strongly considered the Sheriff’s department myself numerous times. My Brother-in-law joined about 7 years back and he does really well financially and has no education other than a high school diploma. Those with an education have a bit more opportunity and can land some of the higher paying positions.

Its worth looking into and most of the time the pay rates can be viewed right through their website.

Just something to consider.

16. Mar 19, 2015 at 4:06 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    Given your desire to not have a desk job, I'd second the trades idea. Around here they can't get enough electricians, plumbers or HVAC guys. The trade companies are standing outside the trade schools just waiting for the graduates, which there aren't a lot of because everyone wants to be a computer programmer.

That said, if you like working with people being an end user computer support guy isn't a bad gig. You'll never sit down and will spend the day going from problem to problem.

17. Mar 19, 2015 at 4:43 PM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    How about oil and gas industry? I am a technician for a natural gas transmission company and make well above your minimum financial requirement. Being in Oklahoma, there must be something similar.

18. Mar 20, 2015 at 8:17 AM
    lanestaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Guthrie, OK
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    My wife and I both know plenty of people in the oil and gas industries, but it isn't for me.

I think I'm definitely narrowing it down to the trades area. I've talked to a few people passing through Lowe's while I'm there, and they all seem to say the same things as JSI said...there is always a demand for a tradesman.

Now, I just need to look into what it all entails to get started! :)

19. Mar 20, 2015 at 8:30 AM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just to clarify, I am not talking about a roughneck. I am talking about more of a trade-like position - corrosion, measurement, communications or electrical controls technician, compression operator/mechanic, etc. There are many other opportunities in the oil/gas industry than hard manual labor in the field. I am an electrician by trade and would not even consider leaving my current technician position to go back to construction/service.

20. Mar 20, 2015 at 8:35 AM
    Texas50

Texas50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Brazoria County-Texas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport.
    OME 885's,Light Racing UCA's,Bilstein 5100's all the way around, Deaver AAL. Cooper 265/70/17
    If you like being outside - park ranger or game warden would be a sweet gig. I have a friend that I met in the police academy that got hired on with USFW and he has the most awesome job imaginable. Outside all day, offroading, boating, 4 wheeling... getting paid.

To Top