Notices

C.A.D.D experts ?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
mxracer16 is on a distinguished road
mxracer16's Tacoma Gallery
C.A.D.D experts ?

Hello TW!!!!!

I am looking into going back to school.
I am wanting to get into CADD. I have messed around with it a few years ago and know just a little bit. I was told that Solid Works is what people are getting back into these days.
I have a few questions about what might be the test usage of my time and money.
Also what might be the best programs to study for todays markets in the cadd industry.
And where might i look for good jobs when i get done ( construction , government , auto , motorcycles ect )

Anyway Thanks for your time.
Hope sombody out there might have a bit of direction for me.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
I use Solidworks and get angry when i use anything else. I don't know about student licenses for the program, but I know a regular license is wicked expensive. I can get solidedge free through my school. If you have any technical questions feel free to pm me.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Deckplate is just really niceDeckplate is just really niceDeckplate is just really niceDeckplate is just really niceDeckplate is just really nice

Navy: Senior Chief Petty Officer ret
Name: Jerry
Deckplate's Tacoma Gallery
I use AutocadLT. I use it for electronic diagrams, no 3D. I work with a contractor who uses both Autocad and Solidworks. He has done some cool 3D stuff with Solidworks. I am learning on the fly and whish I had time to go to school for it. It is a good skill to have.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
mxracer16 is on a distinguished road
mxracer16's Tacoma Gallery
sounds good guys.
i have a meeting here in about an hour with a school in my area and its just to see whats offered for training and education ...ect.

how would i get into the field?
do you have any sugestions ?
Old 07-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
mx,

I think most of the architects in my area are still using AutoCad. Couldn't tell you what version, the last version I worked on was AutoCad 2002. I liked design work when we were busy, but when things slowed it sucked. I'm currently in the project management side of construction, gained a lot of experience working in the design department.

Mike
Old 07-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
AutoCAD, IMO hands down. Now, this is completely coming from an "IT Guy" and not an end-user. I work in the construction industry, and that's what people use period. Some use Microstation, but the majority is an AutoCAD flavor. Or a application that relies on AutoCAD to run in the background. It's like the Windows vs Apple concept in a sense that it may this or that product may be better, but that's not what the majority are using.

My Fiancee has her Associates in CAD, is now going for BS in Civil Eng, and she only uses AutoCAD LT.

Other products may be "better", but AutoCAD is the standard.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

...ohh, and some architects that I deal w/ only use AutoCAD Architecture.

AutoDesk, makers of AutoCAD, and complete software nazis. So beware of pirated copies
Old 07-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Senior Lettuce Washer
Ticketdoctor has a spectacular aura aboutTicketdoctor has a spectacular aura about

Ticketdoctor's Tacoma Gallery
Most of my drafters use AutoCAD 3D, but when I was using CAD I learned on Microstation.

For Architectural and Land Development most professionals use AutoCAD. You will find that some State and Federal Agencies require Microstation.

Both of them are becoming more similar as time goes on.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticketdoctor View Post
Most of my drafters use AutoCAD 3D, but when I was using CAD I learned on Microstation.

For Architectural and Land Development most professionals use AutoCAD. You will find that some State and Federal Agencies require Microstation.

Both of them are becoming more similar as time goes on.
Now that you say that, I just remembered that Maryland DOT uses Microstation.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
if you want to work for the "big boys"

Lockheed, Northrop Gruman, Boeing, Chrysler, most automotive and aircraft companies, get an engineering degree (design or manufacturing) and learn CATIA V5 or Pro-E.

CATIA is a Dassault Sytemes product who bought Solid Works a while back and combined it with their existing products to create the CATIA V5 interface.

I know Pro-E is a big player, just dont know who makes it.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
C_Teachout is on a distinguished road
C_Teachout's Tacoma Gallery
Revit

within the next few years regualr CAD is going to be phased out and the new program of choice is going to be REVIT by autodesk. It is a program to create building information models(BIM). Autodesk makes all of the autocad programs however revit will now allow you to build your project, view in 3D add exact finishes, perform walk throughs with very realistic componets and the best thing is clash detection. There are 3 versions of revit, Architectural, structural and MEP. this will allow you to put all of your ductwork and piping into a project and clash detection will pick up if certain ductwork wont fit above a ceiling or if it will impact air flow etc. Companies are switching gear towards revit and if you learn it you can be picked up quick and will be very valuable. I graduate with a BS in construction management in 2 weeks and people who know how to use it are picked up instantly. Valuable not only to architects but contractors who wish to tighten there numbers for a bid. PM if you have any other questions.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
SoCal Tacomas
HBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
HBtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HBtacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Teachout View Post
within the next few years regualr CAD is going to be phased out and the new program of choice is going to be REVIT by autodesk. It is a program to create building information models(BIM). Autodesk makes all of the autocad programs however revit will now allow you to build your project, view in 3D add exact finishes, perform walk throughs with very realistic componets and the best thing is clash detection. There are 3 versions of revit, Architectural, structural and MEP. this will allow you to put all of your ductwork and piping into a project and clash detection will pick up if certain ductwork wont fit above a ceiling or if it will impact air flow etc. Companies are switching gear towards revit and if you learn it you can be picked up quick and will be very valuable. I graduate with a BS in construction management in 2 weeks and people who know how to use it are picked up instantly. Valuable not only to architects but contractors who wish to tighten there numbers for a bid. PM if you have any other questions.
yeah ive been hearing alot about revit, pretty much the same you just said. my uncle whos been using autocad for the past 10+ years is now taking revit classes and says its difficult. most students are people like him who have been using autocad for many years.

im currently taking CAD classes, Do you recommend taking a revit class also or should i finish learning the basics of CAD then move onto revit?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
C_Teachout is on a distinguished road
C_Teachout's Tacoma Gallery
hard to say, I honestly think if you learn cad first it may be harder. I took autocad as a freshman and am damn good at it, but Revit is a whole new world and I am lost in it. Currently taking classes to learn a bit but the way u can use commands in cad, you cant do that in revit
Old 07-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
SoCal Tacomas
HBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
HBtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HBtacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Teachout View Post
hard to say, I honestly think if you learn cad first it may be harder. I took autocad as a freshman and am damn good at it, but Revit is a whole new world and I am lost in it. Currently taking classes to learn a bit but the way u can use commands in cad, you cant do that in revit
true, i agree. well since i get fee waivers and financial aid im going to try and get into a revit class this semester, my uncle said for him to go thru a whole semester of revit it cost a crazy amount of $$$$ but luckily his job covered it.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
I've been drafting using cadd for about 16 years now. I drew on the board for about 4 years then went to cadd. I think I started with Autocad R10. I currently work for a engineering firm doing all of their structural drawings. The cadd I'm using here is Autocad Architecture 2010. I don't no jack shit about 3D or Revit, I'll leave that for the people smarter than me. mxracer16....I used to draw for a structural engineering firm in Orlando. PM me and I will e-mail you their website if you are looking for a job.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #16
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
I use Archicad, autocad, 3ds max with vray as renderer, usually the process is design at archicad, then export to max and render and then PS for post processing the images, autocad i use it as a secondary or aux program, dont really like it that much, i used to use it all the time for drawing my plans and then 3d modeling, but i skip a lot of steps using archicad.... for my final construction drawings i do them on archicad also...
Old 09-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
I've used AutoCad, Pro-E, Solid Edge, and Solid Works. I've worked with construction equipment design and medical instrument design.

Anyone other than architecture, landscaping, or construction that is still using 2D is way behind the times and likely hurting themselves through costs of non-recurrent engineering (stuff like detailing drawings).

I'd recommend learning Solid Works or Pro-E. They are the most commonly used 3D design packages I've seen for consumer products, medical devices, construction equipment, and utility designers.

Pro-E is a little tougher to learn in my opinion but once you know it, the others seem really easy to pick up on.

I'm currently looking for a job (engineer) and what I've heard from multiple companies is that the main thing is for someone be able to visualize concepts and work in the 3D model environment. Knowing the specific software they use is just icing on the cake a lot of times.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
METAL!
EmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmoSlayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
EmoSlayer's Tacoma Gallery
my 2 cents

I'm a civil engineer and surveyor for a large firm in PA, PennDOT is still Microstation based, however most DOT's have or are in the process of switching to AutoCAD, yes even PA is in the works of switching to AutoCAD. The best software out there for civil/survey work hands down is Civil3D 2010, it runs over top of AutoCAD much like Eagle Point runs over AutoCAD. If you are going back to school I would recommend doing at least a 2 year civil program, because most employers don't just hire drafters anymore, they are looking for people they can start out as drafters but over time move them up the ladder. Just a thought, good luck.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
AlphaPlanner
thestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
thestrangebrew's Tacoma Gallery
My office uses autocad right now. Not sure which version. But our applications are pretty limited. I'm a landuse planner so I have our guys do stuff in cad like drawing parcel maps etc. But we use a ton of GIS too so I'm not sure how much cad we're actually using nowadays.