1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AZ firefighters

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by El Duderino 480, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Aug 9, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    El Duderino 480

El Duderino 480 [OP] "The Dude"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Oceanside, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 PreRunner Sr5
    K&N 77 Series,Flowmaster Exhaust, OME N140's, OME 885's, Billy 5100's, Toytec AAL's
    I'm not sure if it matters where your from if your a firefighter, but i had a few quick questions. i was thinking about firefighting once again, probably for gilbert fire department. and i keep hearing from friends who know firefighters and say that they have second jobs or three, or it takes a while to get into? i have less then a year left in the marine corps and i really need to consider my job options especially since i have free school and the economy has gone to shit. any tips are appreciated!

2. Aug 9, 2009 at 4:05 PM
    El Duderino 480

El Duderino 480 [OP] "The Dude"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Oceanside, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 PreRunner Sr5
    K&N 77 Series,Flowmaster Exhaust, OME N140's, OME 885's, Billy 5100's, Toytec AAL's
  3. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    it all depends on how bad or IF they need any help. Since you get veterans preference, you will be on the top of there list for hiring thou.

4. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    In ny it takes along time to get hired don't put all your eggs in one basket take every civil service test you can find. It helps with your test scores cuz you get to see how there tests are set up and you never know who will call first.

5. Aug 12, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    1lowtacoma

1lowtacoma New Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 03 PreRunner V6
    Gilbert has a very small fire dept. they only have testing when needed, maybe about once every couple of years. I would look around different fire departments around the valley. Tempe, Mesa, Chandler are all east valley fire depts

6. Sep 20, 2009 at 11:30 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    any department in the phoenix area would be awesome because of the auto aid and seamless response system they have up there. really top notch thing they do.

i wish the "big dogs" in tucson would step up and make everyone on the same page here but they wont do that any time soon.

7. Sep 20, 2009 at 11:33 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    Dont just test with one department, test with as many departments that are around that area.. I work in a hospital as well for my second job it keeps me busy.

8. Oct 18, 2009 at 6:21 PM
    Clelsdah

Clelsdah Western Alliance: Yeehaw Division

Member:
    No California Foothills
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4
    Bed mat, tube steps, Ipod interface, Ride-rite air springs
    +1
    The economy is currently making this even more difficult but not impossible. Be patient, take an EMT 1 class ASAP, I'm not sure about AZ but entry level jobs in CA overwhelmingly require EMT 1. Go to college, work and take all the tests you can. Live a life that you can explain to a background investigator and looks good on a resume. Additionally a Paramedic license greatly increases your odds (from 1 in 1000+ to 1 in 100) but should only be done after some experience as an EMT. I know several paramedics that used GI $$$ to go to P school. Good luck, don't give up!!! As my fire service mentor told me about being a firefighter "If there is a better way to make a living, I have not found it".

To Top