Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Dnr

Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Dnr

does anyone here work for the department of natural resources or similar? im changing my major to wildlife management and maybe an emphasis in fisheries. so what can you guys tell me about working there? do you like it? whats your position? what do you do on a daily basis? whats the pay like? thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
no one works for the DNR?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
wolf13 is on a distinguished road
wolf13's Tacoma Gallery
might be a way too late, but I'll toss my half cent in. I work for the US Dept. of Ag's Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). We overlap DNR a little and work on some of the same types of projects. State DNR's have really been hit hard the past few years in a lot of places, funding is always an issue. this has meant in my area a lot of IDNR folks are on very restricted duty, sometimes not even allowed to use their vehicles because of lack of gas money.

any government work can be really frustrating. you are fighting budgets, clueless political hacks, entrenched old timers and on occassion public perception. Deadlines are unrealistic, orders nebelous and everythign flows downhill. the guy above you is never at fault and the guy above him usually doesn't have a clue. pay scale varies, federal pays better but you put up with more shit, state is a little more easy going around here, but doesn't pay half as well and is on the verge of banruptcy half the time.

look beyond DNR at agencies like fish and wildlife, EPA, NRCS, Corp of Engineers. You might also try some smaller state agencies to get your foot in the door. a lot of agencies will hire someone with a degree like yours even if its not a perfet match for your actual job.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
My Uncle's neighbor is a wildlife biologist and works for Exxon. Not sure what all he does but it has something to do with the affects on the wildlife at drill and pump sites.
You could also use that degree to be a game warden
Old 12-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Only DNR I know is "Do Not Rescucitate."