1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dnr

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by tacovic, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Oct 21, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    tacovic

tacovic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    does anyone here work for the department of natural resources or similar? im changing my major to wildlife management and maybe an emphasis in fisheries. so what can you guys tell me about working there? do you like it? whats your position? what do you do on a daily basis? whats the pay like? thanks in advance.

2. Oct 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    tacovic

tacovic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    no one works for the DNR?

3. Nov 24, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    wolf13

wolf13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 4X4 Access cab TRD OR
    TRD Offroad w/Tow package. LEER 100XQ topper, painted grill surround, 08 cup holders, scangauge II
    might be a way too late, but I'll toss my half cent in. I work for the US Dept. of Ag's Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). We overlap DNR a little and work on some of the same types of projects. State DNR's have really been hit hard the past few years in a lot of places, funding is always an issue. this has meant in my area a lot of IDNR folks are on very restricted duty, sometimes not even allowed to use their vehicles because of lack of gas money.

any government work can be really frustrating. you are fighting budgets, clueless political hacks, entrenched old timers and on occassion public perception. Deadlines are unrealistic, orders nebelous and everythign flows downhill. the guy above you is never at fault and the guy above him usually doesn't have a clue. pay scale varies, federal pays better but you put up with more shit, state is a little more easy going around here, but doesn't pay half as well and is on the verge of banruptcy half the time.

look beyond DNR at agencies like fish and wildlife, EPA, NRCS, Corp of Engineers. You might also try some smaller state agencies to get your foot in the door. a lot of agencies will hire someone with a degree like yours even if its not a perfet match for your actual job.

4. Dec 3, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    My Uncle's neighbor is a wildlife biologist and works for Exxon. Not sure what all he does but it has something to do with the affects on the wildlife at drill and pump sites.
    You could also use that degree to be a game warden

5. Dec 3, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Only DNR I know is "Do Not Rescucitate."

To Top