Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Any LEO's out here?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Any LEO's out here?

I know not a lot of cops, aside from Tigerfan, like to be known, just curious if there are any out there?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I know theres a handful on TW. I see them around every once in a while.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
I guess we could put the mods in the LEO category, especially chris since he seems to piss people off lol
Old 11-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
doakes is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Civil Engineer
doakes's Tacoma Gallery
LEO 19yrs plus.....
Old 11-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
The G stands for smooth
Gsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GG
Gsquare's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Definitely appreciate all of your good service too, guys!
Old 11-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
I guess we could put the mods in the LEO category, especially chris since he seems to piss people off lol
What?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Making a career change from fire to law enforcemt, so thought I would see who in the TW family is an LEO
Old 11-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
What?
For banning people or closing their threads lol
Old 11-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
For banning people or closing their threads lol
I havent banned anyone who wasnt deserving of it. And closing threads is what the Mods do if the thread is going to spiral out of control.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
I couldnt find the thread I was talking about, but I think it was started by this guy
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ed-thread.html

Oh no, I think what you guys do is awesome, just cracks me up when people dont understand that they cant do whatever they want on here. You guys do an awesome job of keeping the forum clean. Im mainly refering to how its like you guys are the cops around here and have to keep the peace.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #13

Quote:
I couldnt find the thread I was talking about, but I think it was started by this guy
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ed-thread.html

Oh no, I think what you guys do is awesome, just cracks me up when people dont understand that they cant do whatever they want on here. You guys do an awesome job of keeping the forum clean. Im mainly refering to how its like you guys are the cops around here and have to keep the peace.
He was justified in being mad at me. I forgot to send him a PM about why his thread was closed. We all make mistakes somtimes.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #14
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
So how does everyone like being in law enforcement? How do/did your kids/family like it?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
My cousin is becoming one. Some of my family isn't exactly thrilled, but it fits him and his personality, so it'll be a good career for him. And I support him all the way, regardless of what some others in the family might think. Best of luck man!
Old 11-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #16
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Thanks, good luck to your cousin too. Im just trying to get more input on the whole family life. My mom has been a dispatcher in law enforcement so i have been exposed a little.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #17
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks, good luck to your cousin too. Im just trying to get more input on the whole family life. My mom has been a dispatcher in law enforcement so i have been exposed a little.
Well the family will worry. My neighbor is a cop. Well he was, now he works for the Union. He did night shifts. So his sleeping pattern with sleeping during the day caused some issues for his family.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #18
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Ya, my family has always had those issues, my mom likes the graveyard or swing shift, and my dad has to leave at odd hours and I am used to getting in at all hours of the night from work. I dont think I could do a normal 9-5 job lol
Old 11-14-2009, 02:01 AM   #19
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So how does everyone like being in law enforcement? How do/did your kids/family like it?
I really enjoyed it, left due to a medical problem. It can be stressful on the family especially your significant other if they are not familiar with that type of job. My ex-husband was a Marine while I was with the PD, so both of us understood the stresses that come with that kind of job.

I mean think about the things a cop sees/does each day then goes home to the family, those things aren't really normal over dinner type conversation topics. IMO it is hard for someone in LE to share their days with their families or to vent and release frustrations from the day. Would you want to hear about all the things your s/o was having to deal with every day? Or do you want your wife to hear about all the crazy things you had to do/see each day, you wouldn't want to worry or scare her. Some will say yes of course, but in reality you don't really want to know.

It's just my opinion that is takes a certain type of person to be a military/LE significant other and it takes a very strong relationship.

I don't think it is so hard on mothers/fathers/siblings cause those aren't the people you have to go home to everyday and share your life with. Of course they will worry, but its not the same for a wife/hubby.

But it is a very rewarding career and I respect everyone who chooses to do it, along with fire/medics/military etc.

Think about the reasons you want to be in LE, that will help if someone in your family is upset with your decision.

Good Luck
Old 11-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #20
Robocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
After 13 years of night shift, with all of these in patrol, I must say it has its ups and downs. In one way it has made me very humble to appreciate the things I have as I see so many who struggle to just eat much less enjoy any luxuries.

The down side for me is that it has also made me very synical and even more so a very negative person. I find it very hard to go out and enjoy life as every person I see is a criminal in my mind. If I go grocery shopping for example and happen to see someone with a case of beer in their cart I will always assume they are a drunk. If I see two young kids walking to the park I quickly assume they are punks looking for trouble. It is hard to turn the negative side off simply because I see so many idiots on a nightly basis.

It has had a huge impact on my personal life and I am trying hard to not be one of those older officers who is always angry at the world. I know many old timers who you can not even have a normal conversation with. If you approach some officers and say simply "hows it going" you will get something like "typical crappy day and I hate this place"...."the world is being taken over by thugs"..."what do you care how its going"....well you get my point. Some officers allow the work to make them always bitter and at times this can get them fired for excessive force complaints.

Believe me it is hard to control yourself after you find yourself face to face with some punk who just raped or robbed some old lady. Every part of you wants to hurt them and with years of built up frustration it is easy to lose control. I feel sorry for some co-workers who I see struggle with their emotions yet it is very common in police work. I have seen friends killed and been to far more funerals that I would like to imagine. Sure people die every day however if involved in police work you will see it much more often than the civilian person.

On the good side however I get to drive a cool car around all day and rarely have to lift heavy objects. Believe it or not most people still respect the police and many will remind me daily of this....that also makes my job feel rewarding. I have lifelong friends and the brotherhood of blue will never let you down. I can, and have, changed peoples lives and even a few times saved someones life. The pay is decent for someone with only a high school diploma and I get to have a decent retirement if I make it 20 years.

For me the good is far much more than the bad and I still enjoy learning new things daily. It does take a certain type of person to deal with police work long term however again I believe it is a very rewarding career if you learn to shut certain parts off after your shift.

Products Discussed in this Thread