1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EMT national registry test

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by dylandercole, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Jan 26, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    jr114

jr114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    totally get the point. what i meant was that i read a post above that ca sucks. and i was replying to that. one reason i say that ca ems is one of the best is because the hospitals are so close. ems doesnt just apply to out in the field, it is carried on in the er. and yes a huge huge huge part of it is the crews attitude. and fwiw sometimes i do wish we had those longer transports to do more. other times, we cant afford those longer transports in the south la areas.

2. Jan 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah I know, I wasnt trying to come off as being rude. And yes I totally agree that it is carried on all the way to the ER.;) But living in a rural type area, most of our weekend EMT's come out from Salt Lake just to get the full experience of being so far away from a medical facility. They really like it because they get to use there skills to their full potential which I totally agree with.:cool: But yeah, I wish we had an ER within a few miles!!:( Anything really serious, we will call out a chopper from Salt Lake and that still takes quite a while! Lets just say, anyone we get in full arrest? No pulse, chopper wont even start to fly unless a pulse is present which makes sense but sucks at the same time for the patient.:eek:

3. Jan 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    In Colorado you have to pass nremt to get your state certification. Te test is different for everyone because it's based off the way you answer the question. Just remember to read the scenario questions and pick the beat anwser possible.

4. Jan 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    blendedfamily

blendedfamily Well-Known Member

Member:
    'Burque(sucks)

No rotor support for pulseless patients around the country is pretty much a standard, no matter where you're at. ACLS is ACLS, even simpler than that -- CPR is CPR, whether it's in the back of an ambulance, in a level 1 trauma center, or in your bathroom. We've got plenty of rural down here - level 1 trauma center is anywhere between 30mins and 2 hours by rotor, depending on where you're at, so we get to have alot of fun. Systems in CA are great because you've got hospitals wherever you turn -- which is a nice sigh of relief in tough situations. Here, we are so boondock that often times the ambulance with a medic is a much better scenario than going to the ER in the first place...

5. Jan 26, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    I know your not kidding! thats how all of my tests in the class were. all teh answers were technically right but which one is MORE right. It sucks but im used to that kind of testing at least. And what is CSM MSC or PMS??!?! I dont want an auto fail but either i dont remember that or I dont recognize the abbreviations

6. Jan 26, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I wasnt taught CSM or MSC but I was taught PMS. P=Pulse M=Motor S=Sensation. So pretty much check their pulse, ask if they can move that body part, and if they feel u scratching or pinching at it "before" and "after" you splint an extremity.;)

7. Jan 26, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    blendedfamily

Member:
    'Burque(sucks)

And with any neuro/head injury... AND whenever you immobilize a patient on a long spine board...

8. Jan 26, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    Ok gotcha. I knew that one just didnt knwo the acronyms. thanks for the advice thats a good heads up

9. Jan 26, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!
    what is CSM MSC or PMS??!?! I dont want an auto fail but either i dont remember that or I dont recognize the abbreviations[/quote]

Circulation;Sensation;Movement or vice versa... = the same as PMS...

In NM we match up with National Registry only at the Paramedic level. Our Basics can do certain drug administrations like 1:1 Epi .3mg for anaphylaxis, Narcan, ASA, albuterol....

Our EMT-I = more than I-88 and less than I-99 for skills and drugs, so it doesn't match up either.

I feel like we have pretty good EMS services here, Some great combination Fire/EMS Departments, but a general lack of funding that sucks, and not really competetive pay with other states.

I also have up to 45 min. transport times where I work, (to a level II hospital) it really makes a difference as a provider, Diagnosing, initiating treatments, and seeing them through a quite a ways... It can also give you major pucker factor with a critical Pt.... we have two rotor services in northern NM and its definitely not guaranteed they can always fly, with weather and availability...
    anyway, gots to go wash the trucks!!!

Good luck on your Exams!! and remember... if we could do it, You can do it !!!

10. Jan 26, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    HA!! now i KNOW i can do it! im just kidding

11. Jan 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah I remembered I was stressin pretty good to!!:eek: But just remember what you learned and you will be good to go!!;)

12. Jan 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    socal16

socal16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    08 trd offroad black 4x4!!!
    wheels and tires, k&n cold air intake, limo tint,bhlm,TRD seatcovers, OME lift
    good luck man!!!

13. Jan 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    Will do. Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Im getting down to the wire here and my brain is fully saturated with info so now its just down to if ill perform. thanks again to everyone

14. Jan 26, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    You'll be just fine!!! Have you taken your practicals yet?:cool:

15. Jan 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    Very true.

If you've gone as far as State certified there is no reason, IMO, to NOT get Nationally certified.
    Just take your time and like others have said...remember the order of things.

You could be in the OB section and they may still ask a simple question that goes back to scene size-up, initial assessment, etc...
    I missed a question where the answer was "Apply O2 via non-breather at 15l/m" because I was focused on the mechanism of injury which was an amputation.
    I focused on bleed control when O2 comes before that, as we all know.

Take your time, read the questions VERY carefully and you will be fine.

Fink

16. Jan 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    Iv taken the class. Lab (skills testing). and two required ride alongs

17. Jan 26, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    When you say lab do you mean the practicals?
    In Arkansas the only test(s) required for state licensing (we're now Licensed Professionals which is kinda cool) are three practicals in three different areas.

The ones we had when I tested were LSB, medical PA and long-bone splinting.
    I had to re-take the LSB twice because I kept running out of time...mental note, use spider straps.

Fink

18. Jan 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    blendedfamily

Member:
    'Burque(sucks)
    Circulation;Sensation;Movement or vice versa... = the same as PMS...

In NM we match up with National Registry only at the Paramedic level. Our Basics can do certain drug administrations like 1:1 Epi .3mg for anaphylaxis, Narcan, ASA, albuterol....

Our EMT-I = more than I-88 and less than I-99 for skills and drugs, so it doesn't match up either.

I feel like we have pretty good EMS services here, Some great combination Fire/EMS Departments, but a general lack of funding that sucks, and not really competetive pay with other states.

I also have up to 45 min. transport times where I work, (to a level II hospital) it really makes a difference as a provider, Diagnosing, initiating treatments, and seeing them through a quite a ways... It can also give you major pucker factor with a critical Pt.... we have two rotor services in northern NM and its definitely not guaranteed they can always fly, with weather and availability...
    anyway, gots to go wash the trucks!!!

Good luck on your Exams!! and remember... if we could do it, You can do it !!![/quote]

who are you with up there, what level are you?

19. Jan 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    we had to test in medical patient assesment, trauma assesment, airway management, OB, traction splinting, long boarding, Child/Infant/Adult FBAO/CPR, AED, and bleeding control. I think thats all of them.

20. Jan 26, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    Wow - those were ALL required by the STATE?
    We tested in all of those as well but they only went towards our class grade.

We had to have a 79% or higher overall grade in the class before we could even go to our clinical sites (ER or EMS service).
    Then the state actually tested us on three practical skills.

AREMT-B's are able to administer O2, Albuterol, ASA, epi, Narcan (depending on departmental policies), any other MDI and necessary breathing treatments.

Thankfully, ALL paid departments here are ALS so we always have everything we need.

Fink

To Top