1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Huge job offer, want current company to match... need advice

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by DrRabbitFurHead, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead [OP] Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    It's good thru the 10th. The recruiter told me that the new company has negotiation room and he wants me to call him in the morning to determine a strategy to go back to the new company with.

I don't want to jerk around the new company and lead them on since I work in a small niche market and don't want to burn any bridges. There are probably 50 companies that I can work at in my current line of work so I need to treat this situation very carefully.

I may ask for an extension to the offer and speak to the recruiter about what is the max the new company would be willing to pay, increased sign on bonus, better relo, etc.

After speaking to my wife, we've basically decided if my boss doesn't do SOMETHING that I'm going to either take this offer (after a little negotiating), or post my resume on monster.com and seriously start looking for a better opportunity. It's a shame really... I like my job and just want to be fairly compensated. My reviews have been STELLAR and I've been very successful as far as solving difficult problems and saving the company tons of money. Go figure... Until this afternoon I WASN'T EVEN CONSIDERING LEAVING!!!!!

2. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i'd give him 24 hours. at end of day tomorrow i'd walk in and ask if he's gonna do right by you, and if not, i'd give him my two weeks. His boss really should have made more of an effort. in fact, his lack of effort probably indicates he'd rather replace him than bump his pay. plus, if you are underpaid and you know it doesn't that mean something?

3. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Oh man I feel for you. I have the same issue going down with me right now. I like the company and really enjoy working for my boss. But this new company contacted me and is offering me 30k more a year to do the same job. I don't have to move but the gulf has slowed down and it is last hire first fire. I know with my current job I won't be fired. But a new one is iffy. Honestly I hate to make the move but I can't pass up the 30k for the same job. I'll give up some vacation days with the new company they want me to work my way back up to 3 weeks. Good luck with what ever you choose, best wishes.

I'd have to jump ship based on your bosses responses.

4. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    After that meeting, I'd counter the new company and take the next best offer and move on......life is too short and it sounds like you got the skills if something goes sour to find another job.

Do it, don't regret it, live life, and have fun!

5. Jun 7, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    Koov

Koov Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR
    Sorry to hear bro.....after hearing what your boss said. I would walk. He truly does not value you if you are underpaid and gave you the answer "Ill think about it." But...I would probably start inquiring about the new job a bit more, as everyone else was saying. Do a visit to the office, check out real estate, etc.... Good luck!

6. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    zanodave

zanodave Well-Known Member

Member:
    so il
    Vehicle:
    07speedwayblue
    have you decided yet?

7. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Answer will be revealed by Friday PM. Right now, the wife and I are leaning toward moving...

8. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
  9. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    I just hired a property manager and some of the tax advantages he mentioned may be worth it if you decide to relocate and not sell your house.

10. Jun 27, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    hoeflich

hoeflich Its all mod on the inside

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    96 3.4L 4X4
    Stuff
    Status??

11. Jun 27, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    I decided to stay with my current company. They had me sign a confidentiality agreement so can't share the details. They didn't match dollar for dollar, but they were able to do “things” the other company wasn't able to do. I came out better (overall) by staying… gotta be careful what I share but the current company did right by me.

12. Jun 27, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    hoeflich

hoeflich Its all mod on the inside

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    96 3.4L 4X4
    Stuff
    congrats man...what work do you do?

13. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    military, aerospace, optical systems... "engineering"

14. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    Thats awesome, you must be a valuable asset to their company and they realized that and didnt want to loose you.

To Top