Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Thinking on moving West!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking on moving West!

Hey I'm pretty new to the forum, I just got a Tacoma about a month ago. Anyway I realize a lot of people here are from all parts. My fiance and I are considering relocating westward from PA when she's done with Chiropractor school. She will be able to open up shop anywhere. We are considering CO, UT, Northern Cal, and OR. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on these areas and what to expect. We are not looking for Big city life, more of a small town feel, but still relatively close to a major city, within a couple hrs. We want to be close to good skiing, or beach and parks, recreation, good sunny weather. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Hey....there aren't any beaches in CO or UT? You need an ocean to have a beach right? Maybe NorCal and OR would be better? I know this post wasn't much help but good luck with whichever you choose.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
Hey....there aren't any beaches in CO or UT? You need an ocean to have a beach right? Maybe NorCal and OR would be better? I know this post wasn't much help but good luck with whichever you choose.

LOL yeah I figured that, it's kinda an either/or situation. Ive been to CO and loved it, so that's where I'm pushing. We are goign to UT in Sept.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
ScubaCougr is on a distinguished road
ScubaCougr's Tacoma Gallery
Oregon, WA, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
My fiance and I are considering relocating westward from PA when she's done with Chiropractor school. She will be able to open up shop anywhere. We are considering CO, UT, Northern Cal, and OR.
Oregon and Washington has most of what you're looking for. Oregon has no sales tax, but property and other taxes especially if you own your own business are pretty brutal. Washington state has no income tax, but sales taxes are pushing 9%. Lots of Californians moving north to Oregon. High taxes and still can't pay for basic services residents need, at least according to several people I know who have made the move.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Carlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud of
Army:
Carlo's Tacoma Gallery
California is a great place to live (I am in the north bay about 45 minutes from SF) if your into doing things outdoors...biking, fishing, hiking, 4x4, diving, surfing ect. But, the politics are completely screwed up, the taxes suck, and there are a boat load of weirdos that want to impose there freak hippie lifestyle on you. Southern Cal is a little more conservative in politics, has better weather, better looking women, and traffic that will make you eat your pistol. If I was single and was going to move from northern cal I would go to San Diego and not look back. It's a good mix of things to do, great weather and relaxed people. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #7

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
California is a great place to live (I am in the north bay about 45 minutes from SF) if your into doing things outdoors...biking, fishing, hiking, 4x4, diving, surfing ect. But, the politics are completely screwed up, the taxes suck, and there are a boat load of weirdos that want to impose there freak hippie lifestyle on you. Southern Cal is a little more conservative in politics, has better weather, better looking women, and traffic that will make you eat your pistol. If I was single and was going to move from northern cal I would go to San Diego and not look back. It's a good mix of things to do, great weather and relaxed people. Good luck.
Yeah I'm not single though, don't need to be distracted by all the hotties. We don't care if we are on the coast, just a few hrs away. Do you know anything about Sacramento, or Redding? I knew some dudes from there that always had good things to say about it.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #9

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoTaco View Post
Utah welcomes you. When you come out to Utah in September were are you going?
Flying into Vegas last week of Sept. Driving to Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon. Still haven't planned everythign out and where to go. It's the ladies first trip out west so I wanna do some sight seeing, hiking, horse back riding, maybe some kayaking. Then a couple days in Vegas. It is gonna be my last Bday of my 20's after all. Do you have any suggestions where to go/stay? I might be going back in Dec for some skiing.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
Carlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud of
Army:
Carlo's Tacoma Gallery
Sammy, Redding is super hot in the summer and frankly not a nice town. Sacramento is not a bad place. Your close to winter skiing with Tahoe just 2 hrs away and the ocean (north coast or SF) about 2 hrs away. Cheaper to live than the bay area and good job oppertunities. They also have the delta waterway that is cool. What type of work do you do? What type of activities are you into?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #11

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Sammy, Redding is super hot in the summer and frankly not a nice town. Sacramento is not a bad place. Your close to winter skiing with Tahoe just 2 hrs away and the ocean (north coast or SF) about 2 hrs away. Cheaper to live than the bay area and good job oppertunities. They also have the delta waterway that is cool. What type of work do you do? What type of activities are you into?
Hey thanks Carlo, Im into just about anything outside, biking, skiing, whatever. I'm willing to learn whatever too. Id like to get into kayaking as well and learn to surf. I live in western pa and our skiing sucks, the weather sucks pretty bad, we do have pretty good places to bike but if you saw that movie the "Road", that's what it looks like 5 months out of the yr. they filmed it here. I was in the military for a few yrs and moved around a bit as well. I've never been to CA so im only going off what Ive heard. I prefer CO but the lady wants to be near the beach. We haev to work on our "compromising"

I currently work as a project manager and a sales rep for a construction company. But its kind of a save $$$ for later job right now, dont really love it. Not quite sure what I want to do either.

From what my Fiance's school tells her western states are better for Chiropractors. Some make a fortune. We both want out of here in 3 yrs.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I'm not single though, don't need to be distracted by all the hotties. We don't care if we are on the coast, just a few hrs away. Do you know anything about Sacramento, or Redding? I knew some dudes from there that always had good things to say about it.
outside of sacramento to the east is really nice... it's not too far to tahoe from there...
Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I grew up in California, I miss the weather but wouldn't move back ever. The place has gone to hell. I moved to Oregon and love it. It's got a little of everything. In Portland you are about 2 hours from just about everything. Skiiing on Mt. Hood, the coast, great hunting and fishing. The taxes are nothing compared to the bullshit in California. My property taxes on about 1/2 acre in town are about $2000 a year. Income taxes are higher than other states but we don't pay sales tax, our vehicle registration is about $35 a year. It's really not that expensive to live here compared to other places in the country. Now if we could just get rid of the hippy liberals it would be perfect
Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #14

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
I grew up in California, I miss the weather but wouldn't move back ever. The place has gone to hell. I moved to Oregon and love it. It's got a little of everything. In Portland you are about 2 hours from just about everything. Skiiing on Mt. Hood, the coast, great hunting and fishing. The taxes are nothing compared to the bullshit in California. My property taxes on about 1/2 acre in town are about $2000 a year. Income taxes are higher than other states but we don't pay sales tax, our vehicle registration is about $35 a year. It's really not that expensive to live here compared to other places in the country. Now if we could just get rid of the hippy liberals it would be perfect

I've heard good things about OR. We are gonna check it out next year. CA sounds great but I dont want to pay a ton of money for a shack just to say I live in CA. I still want $$ left over for hobbies. I live in a relatively inexpensive place to live, which is nice, there just not a whole lot to do. Im curious as to what people who actually live out there have to say.

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Flying into Vegas last week of Sept. Driving to Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon. Still haven't planned everythign out and where to go. It's the ladies first trip out west so I wanna do some sight seeing, hiking, horse back riding, maybe some kayaking. Then a couple days in Vegas. It is gonna be my last Bday of my 20's after all. Do you have any suggestions where to go/stay? I might be going back in Dec for some skiing.
There is a lot of fun stuff to do in southern Utah. If it were me I would stay in St. George it is the largest city in southern Utah and is only 1 1/2 - 2 hrs from Vegas.

I'm in Northern Utah which is a lot different than the southern part of the state.

http://www.utah.com/
Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #16

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoTaco View Post
There is a lot of fun stuff to do in southern Utah. If it were me I would stay in St. George it is the largest city in southern Utah and is only 1 1/2 - 2 hrs from Vegas.

I'm in Northern Utah which is a lot different than the southern part of the state.

http://www.utah.com/
We were looking at Springdale to stay at as a launching point. How do you like Utah living? What areas would you recommend? Do you live near Ogden?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
beanZnMyTaCo! is on a distinguished road

Name: beanZ!
beanZnMyTaCo!'s Tacoma Gallery
my opinion for you if you want the little town feel with tons of things to do close by would be like hollister or los banos or anywhwere around there. yeah it may be more expensive than P town but its ALOT less expensive than other parts of the bay area. SORRY, i didnt mention but it in Northern Cali. i've considered it given my Fiance and i along with our 5 month old are at the beach 3 or 4 times a month not even 45 mins away from there. not far from snow maybe about 3-4 hrs. mtn biking dope anywhere out here! lakes are everywhere for fishing boating. my honest opinion... Northern Cali shits on ALOT of other places weather wise and all! i had a buddy i worked with for about 5 years come out here from Pittsburg after he completed culinary school! he Loved it but he got tired of Management out here and went back after bout 8 yrs havent talked to him since. hit me up if theres anythin i could help ya with!
-Ruben
Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #18
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
young, just starting out, in love? move to california. i live in the bay area. i live 30 minutes outside of one of the nicest big cities in the world. San Francisco. restaurants, theater, opera..(yes, i have a wife!). i have a flock of chickens, a huge yard. my area is cheap and affordable. i bowhunt hogs 45 minutes away. every year i buy an almost full california deer tag. all but a few units are opened to me and my bow. fishing?..dont even get me started.

california can suck. but in terms of finding work, you cant beat it.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #19
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
My house just outside of Portland cost $325,000 on 1/2 acre in a great area. 4 Bedroom, 3 bath. I can't imagine what that would buy in a nice part of any city in California but I'm guessing it's proably a 1 bedroom condo if you are lucky.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #20

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
My house just outside of Portland cost $325,000 on 1/2 acre in a great area. 4 Bedroom, 3 bath. I can't imagine what that would buy in a nice part of any city in California but I'm guessing it's proably a 1 bedroom condo if you are lucky.
That's about on par for what houses are going for where i am in PA. Apparantly OR is a good place for her profession. Although it would be a trade for one rainy climate for another.