Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

New Job opportunity...

Old 06-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
New Job opportunity...

So there's been a new sporting goods store open in my town and I've been talking to the guy that opened it about what kind of stuff he's gonna be doing for a couple months now. Well, he called me yesterday and wanted me to come talk to him. I went and talked to him today and he wants me to be the outside sales rep for them, going to the neighboring counties and trying to sell to the schools and rec departments.

This would be all commission (Probably around 7 or 8%) for the first few months, and eventually, if they need me, I would be working the floor also. This would be my second job, and I would be doing it on days I'm not working at my original job (I only work 32 hours right now )

Here's my predicament: the closest place I would be going is 30 miles round trip, the farthest is closer to 100. I would have to be doing all these trips within the 2 days I have off of my original job, which means there would be a lot of driving. I don't have a little car, and only get around 16 mpg with the taco on a good day, and with AT tires, woudln't get a lot of mileage from the tires.

I'm trying to start building a house within the next few months, and the extra money would be awesome, but with straight commission, if I don't sell anything, I don't get paid, I've wasted gas, put pointless miles on the truck and tires, and wasted my time. I can't decide if I should take this job or not. It's not really something that I can do for a month or 2 and if it doesn't work out just quit...I'm not like that. Opinions? What do you guys think?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever read death of a salesman?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
No sir, sure haven't.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Im sorry it just kinda sounds like your situation. Personally i wouldnt take that job. I definitly wouldnt like driving that much. I would look at getting a job with a catering business. My sister recently got a job at one and she made more than 100 bucks in a day. And you caneither accept or decline gigs, so its very flexible
Old 06-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
ScubaCougr is on a distinguished road
ScubaCougr's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of sporting goods products are schools and city park/rec departments going to need? I don't see them buying enough to even pay your gas.

Plus schools / cities are often required to do competitive bids and annual contracts for supplies...and they also often have established relationships with big honkin companies that supply this stuff. Think of how easy it is to work with governments. Not!

He may be a nice guy, but I don't think your friend with the sporting goods store has thought this through. I'd run away.